Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:25:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686499
  • Total Topics: 118103
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: To Kislev and beyond  (Read 2677 times)

Offline Doom Beard 78

• Scientist
To Kislev and beyond
« on: June 15, 2021, 07:21:55 PM »
Many moons ago in the dim and distant time of forgotten dreams I got lucky and bought a load of Kislev horse archers cheap. Over the years I have been painting them  and I thought to share some the fruits of my labours. Initially I based them up on 90mm oval bases using some sort of vignette , these are essentially display pieces which sit on the shelf. I also painted up another 3 this week ( the joy of Teams is that I spend the time I would have otherwise wasted listening to corporate doublespeak in something productive)  This time these have been based individually though I am unsure of what to use these figures.  3 more are sitting on the desk.  Plus I added the Ice Queen, disappointing paint job on her 

Offline Roo

• Mad Scientist
Re: To Kislev and beyond
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 07:44:19 PM »
Really like these especially the multi bases…great job

Offline Bessron

• Assistant
  • Fenrisbinder
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 08:27:02 PM »
I like the Kislev range and you did a very nice paint job

Pleased more of them
Sorry for my English, I am still learning and translate with a program

My current project???
Chaosdwarfs or Infernal Dwarves or the Magmhorin

The Link to my Gallery her: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=1496;u=10157

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 08:43:07 PM »
Lovely work George.  :-*

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 01:36:26 AM »
Yes  indeed, very nice!  I always liked those figures, and you have done them justice.

Back in the days of Trollboss Bob and Citadel bitz catalogs I ordered a bunch of those legs to use with Mordheim plastic mercenary torsos to make mounted versions of some of my warband figures.  If I had only known how insane prices for those figures were going to become...

-Michael

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 04:56:48 AM »
Yes  indeed, very nice!  I always liked those figures, and you have done them justice.

Back in the days of Trollboss Bob and Citadel bitz catalogs I ordered a bunch of those legs to use with Mordheim plastic mercenary torsos to make mounted versions of some of my warband figures.  If I had only known how insane prices for those figures were going to become...

-Michael

Those were the days, when you could order separate metal parts from Citadel Miniatures!  8)

Offline Doom Beard 78

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 08:13:04 PM »
Those plastic horses had tails which were almost guaranteed to break off . I have seen some resin horse tails so I imagine that many people experienced the same issue. I have placed all off mine on  metal horses .

Currently got an Amber wizard on horseback I plan to do next. I was thinking that putting him on a horse like this would work

https://mierce-miniatures.com/index.php?act=pro&pre=mrm_dkl_ysn_kys_bst_756_100

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2021, 09:33:02 PM »
"I was thinking that putting him on a horse like this would work "

Oh, yeah!

-Michael

Offline Doom Beard 78

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2021, 10:18:08 AM »
Another 2 finished .  In WFB 5th, a unit of 5 of these were the expendables used to flush out night goblin fanatics and other nasties.  I have just two left to do.

I spotted some on eBay at the not insane price of £10 a figure.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2021, 02:29:56 PM »
Smashing stuff George  :-*

Online jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2021, 08:53:46 AM »
Looking great.  If you wanted to use them in a game your basing would suit Lion Rampant well.  Cavalry units are size 6 and there is a massive break point in their effectiveness at 3.  The unit also moves as a whole with no ranks or worrying over much about individual placement. 

So a unit would be the three on the 90 mm plus three more.  As they take casualties you remove the individuals.  Once they have taken more than 3 you can replace the 90 mm vignette with the individuals again.

Offline Doom Beard 78

• Scientist
Re: To Kislev and beyond - Project Finished
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2021, 09:29:42 AM »
Last of my Kislevites are finished.  These include a figure I started back in 2006 ( took a while) and a figure which I converted to be overweight ( inspired by a foul ill-tempered wargamer I used to endure)
 So here are the last two and a group shot of the unit of 7.  I may get lucky on ebay this weekend and add a standard to the unit but I doubt it.
Jon-1066, these were not painted with gaming in mind. I have been inspired to try and finish long unfinished units and well, I have a lot of spare time at the moment

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2021, 01:38:32 PM »
Very nice work George  :-*

The fat chap is excellent.

Offline Doom Beard 78

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2021, 02:00:18 PM »
we know who ate all the Perogi, 

The unit is unique for me as there are a fair number of mods- the guy with long hair had his stylish mane sculped in green stuff, the fatty had lots of green stuff , some of the horses had horse hair style frills added, one of the characters had a new hat added based on an illustration of a Cuman from an Ian Heath illustration, another chap had a green stuff fur cape slung over his back.  Work wil commence shortly on more Sipahis

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2021, 04:44:25 PM »
we know who ate all the Perogi, 

There's a lot of it about  lol

The unit is unique for me as there are a fair number of mods- the guy with long hair had his stylish mane sculped in green stuff, the fatty had lots of green stuff , some of the horses had horse hair style frills added, one of the characters had a new hat added based on an illustration of a Cuman from an Ian Heath illustration, another chap had a green stuff fur cape slung over his back.

Well worth the effort mate, they look excellent  :-*

Work wil commence shortly on more Sipahis

Look forward to seeing them  8)
[/quote]