Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:30:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Last Kingdom in 28mm using SAGA  (Read 3288 times)

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: The Last Kingdom in 28mm using SAGA
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2021, 09:19:07 AM »
Really enjoyed the books (though there is a sneaking feeling, in the last couple I've read, that Cornwall is a bit bored now and just phoning it in) I couldn't even make it through the first episode of the TV series which was utterly awful. I recommend reading the books if you have the time.

I have read all the Last Kingdom books and found them all to be mostly an enjoyable read. I believe Bernard Cornwell always meant to conclude the series with the epic battle of Brunanburh, which he did with "War Lord" which came out last year, even though the Uhtred character is 80 years old by this time  :) Some of the later books did feel a bit formulaic filling in time to get to this finale. I felt his account of Brunanburh was written more for dramatic effect than historical reality which, as a historical novelist, would be his preferred option I suppose.

I have really enjoyed the TV series. Perhaps you should have stuck with it. On Season 4 now and all get very good reviews although be prepared for it depart significantly from the story in the books as the series goes on.

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2021, 12:57:14 PM »
I had forgotten about the poor service some people have had from BTD, I have ordered a couple of times myself from them without issue but may leave the king till last just in case. My Gripping Beast starter set arrived today so no issues there... finished work early so that I could have a quiet read this afternoon.
Despite loving the series (which I started again last week) I have never been fond of Mr Cornwells books but maybe I will try again with The Last Kingdom, though no rush as I have plenty to go at.
The transfers seem to be out of stock at the Beast does anyone else make them specifically for the plastics range? As I have 30 figures already completed with these an alternative would be welcome.
Will post a couple of pics if it ever stops raining as my indoor lighting is Dark Age standard.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2021, 07:08:21 PM »
The transfers seem to be out of stock at the Beast does anyone else make them specifically for the plastics range? As I have 30 figures already completed with these an alternative would be welcome.

Go to the source would be my advice; Steve at LBMS is your friend in this matter  ;) :)
https://www.littlebigmenstudios.com/product-category/28mm-transfers/gripping-beast/plastic-saxons/

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2021, 08:31:14 PM »
Atheling, thank you for that link I will need this. A great site I probably would have not found myself.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2021, 09:53:35 AM »
Atheling, thank you for that link I will need this. A great site I probably would have not found myself.

Not a problem and happy to help. I usually buy straight from Steve for LBMS as heat and cold can sometimes mean that transfers that have been stored incorrectly won't come off the backing paper. If you buy straight from the producer/designer, you are pretty much assured the transfers are stored correctly.

Also, Steve is super quick at getting the transfers sent out post haste.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 11:09:32 AM by Atheling »

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2021, 01:11:40 AM »
I enjoyed both the TV series and the books. Obviously, any fiction is going to be a matter of taste, so take my recommendation or others with a grain of salt.

If you want to try a solo game, Joe from Northern Tempest Saga Podcast has designed a 4-point scenario where you are playing against a programmed raider force of 4 points. Good fun, and difficult to win.
https://lnns.co/p8Q1U6BY2Fz

Mike Demana
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2021, 06:43:06 AM »
Thanks for the advice Mike. The Blog is a very interesting read.... Saga must be populer where you are!
I have completed 30 of Gripping Beasts Dark Age spearmen and 6 slingers... a Viking army awaits paint as do a Sprue of Saxon armoured types.
In a break from painting I constructed a couple of dark age buildings from foam board, Winchester is very much still an idea but is certainly achievable. Pics to follow this afternoon, they would have been on here weeks ago but work has been horribly busy.