Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:39:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Change Rogue Stars to Stargrave?  (Read 3380 times)

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
Change Rogue Stars to Stargrave?
« on: June 17, 2021, 11:45:11 PM »
I have nothing against Rogue Stars; I think it's a great game.

That being said, there has been no activity on this board for nearly two years. I humbly propose the mods change it to a Stargrave board. Stargrave has a lot of interest across many platforms.

Just an idea! Thanks for reading!
Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: Change Rogue Stars to Stargrave?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 10:47:37 AM »
I agree with you.
Rogue Stars is a great game if...
You just keep to the same team & learn all its quirks & foibles.
Games like Stargrave, Galactic heroes et-al pander to the
likes of me, someone who likes painting up more (& more)
Sci-Fi figures.

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 11:47:56 AM »
I suggested starting a Stargave child board a while ago, although the message volume on it hasn't reached anything like teh level Frostgrave once did (it's dropped off too, although nothing like Rogue Stars).  That said, the niche both RS and SG fall into is already pretty big and growing steadily - Scott Pyle has a new game coming soon as well as several existing ones that do basically similar things, Planet 28's shiny new version will be out in print from Modiphius soon and is already available as a pdf, and I'm sure there are more coming I haven't heard of.

Maybe a better approach (assuming it's viable for the mods to do) would be to establish a "Skirmish Scifi" child board instead and fold this board and the existing Stargrave posts and whatever else new that seems appropriate into it?  Having a sub-forum for a single rules set (however popular) seems less useful than making a sub-genre board so people looking for options on what rule systems to use for their small skirmish games (often with light roleplay elements) have one place to hunt. 

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 11:59:34 AM »
A combined board makes sense.
Get all the SF skirmish pieces in one place.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 11:42:19 AM »
A combined board makes sense.
Get all the SF skirmish pieces in one place.

Good ideas!

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 04:15:18 PM »
Combined board is fine, but why not call it Rogue Trader or Laserburn, the daddies after all :D lol

Glen
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2021, 05:17:47 PM »
I'll consider it.

As you wrote, there wasn't quite as much long-term output with regard to Rogue Stars as we expected at the time (based on our experience with Frostgrave), and I would like to wait (maybe 6 months after its release) to see how Stargrave fares before making a decision.

I am not in favour of creating childboards, as it tends to lead to fragmentation of discussion, potential duplicates and people not finding interesting topics due to that.

That said, given that an overwhelming part of Scifi gaming discussed here is essentially skirmish (from individual up to platoon skirmish games), and larger scales and fleet actions seem to be less popular, at the moment, I would prefer folding back the Rogue Stars threads to the main board, discontinuing the child board and encouraging people to use game system tags (i.e. adding the name of the game their post is concerned about to the topic title, either "organically" or in brackets, e.g. "[STARGRAVE]") to help other users find such topics if they're interested in it.

But as said, if Stargrave takes off the way Frostgrave did, it might be useful given the vast number of threads here on the Future Wars board. I'll keep an eye on the issue and get back on it in late July or so.

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2021, 06:34:33 PM »
Combined board is fine, but why not call it Rogue Trader or Laserburn, the daddies after all :D lol

Johnny-come-lately rules at best.  Starguard came out in 1974, six years before Laserburn and thirteen years before RT was warhammering about.  :)

https://www.tin-soldier.com/sgdp.html

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2021, 06:38:48 PM »
That said, given that an overwhelming part of Scifi gaming discussed here is essentially skirmish (from individual up to platoon skirmish games), and larger scales and fleet actions seem to be less popular, at the moment, I would prefer folding back the Rogue Stars threads to the main board, discontinuing the child board and encouraging people to use game system tags (i.e. adding the name of the game their post is concerned about to the topic title, either "organically" or in brackets, e.g. "[STARGRAVE]") to help other users find such topics if they're interested in it.

Gotcha, I'll start bracketing my posts accordingly.  It would be quite a waste of time to set up a child board if Stargrave drops off the way Rogue Stars unfortunately did.  Even Frostgrave's not as busy as it once was, despite having a lot of support and spinoffs (unlike poor RS, where the supplement never materialized).

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2021, 08:42:49 PM »
Planet 28's shiny new version will be out in print from Modiphius soon and is already available as a pdf, and I'm sure there are more coming I haven't heard of.

Bloody hell, I didn't know modiphius were printing a new edition of planet 28, You'd have thought they'd have asked my permission first at least!  lol

(I think you're confusing planet 28 with five parsecs from home, A very lovely system from Nordic weasel games  :) )

Offline LiamFrostfang

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2021, 11:16:04 AM »
 :D yes sci fi skirmish...i love stargrave!!!!

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2021, 12:46:52 PM »
Bloody hell, I didn't know modiphius were printing a new edition of planet 28, You'd have thought they'd have asked my permission first at least!  lol

(I think you're confusing planet 28 with five parsecs from home, A very lovely system from Nordic weasel games  :) )

D'oh, I am indeed conflating the two games.  Must pay more attention to the gaming news vids I'm usually listening to while painting.

In my defense, I'd just gotten done listening to one of Ash's playthrough vids of your game on the Guerilla Minis YT channel and the autoplay function surfed me into the Five Parsecs news vid.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 12:49:23 PM by Chief Lackey Rich »

Offline Steelwraith

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2021, 11:20:43 PM »
I'd like to cast my vote for either creating a child board specifically for Stargrave or have a Sci-Fi Skirmish board where Rogue Stars, Stargrave, heck RT and Kill Team would have a home. Would it be possible to make sub-forums on the child board, so all the Stargrave related posts are separated from say, all the Rogue Stars, from all the RT, et al? Not being savvy about how this works or how much work it pose for the moderators, I honestly don't know, but its a thought.

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2021, 07:11:59 AM »
I'd like to cast my vote for either creating a child board specifically for Stargrave or have a Sci-Fi Skirmish board where Rogue Stars, Stargrave, heck RT and Kill Team would have a home. Would it be possible to make sub-forums on the child board, so all the Stargrave related posts are separated from say, all the Rogue Stars, from all the RT, et al? Not being savvy about how this works or how much work it pose for the moderators, I honestly don't know, but its a thought.

IMHO we just have to be a little careful about going down the TMP route with 3 million boards that no one uses :o lol

Glen

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2021, 07:27:12 AM »
With the number of sci-fi skirmish options available, maybe changing it to just that - a sub board for all sci-fi skirmish level stuff rather than any particular one?

If members feel it needs a further separation from "future wars"?

Would still wonder for  while if it needs to be separated at all for any of them including Rogue stars or stargrave?

Inactivity might tend to be more due to it being easier just to post in future wars, especially as you can overlap your crews with several rules/games options now not just Rogue Stars or Stargrave?