Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:41:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Need some Assistance with Orbats/Information/Doctrine for 1939-1940  (Read 2802 times)

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
Hello, everyone. Hoping some of you might be able to help.

I have recently finished my Hungarian handbook for HRG Games, and I'm now beginning work on my third book for them, which has not title yet but basically covers the "Minor" Allies in Northwestern Europe in 1939-1940. Specifically: Belgium, Denmark, Holland, Luxembourg, and Norway.

What I'm on a search for are decent resources (in print, preferably, internet stuff is useful, but not as reliable) concerning Belgium, Denmark, Holland, Luxembourg, and Norway during the war in terms of their doctrine, organization (Divisional Level and below), and general attitude towards the war prior to the fall of these countries to the Axis. So far my luck has been somewhat limited: I've found basically all I need on Luxembourg (much to my surprise), but the others aren't as useful - a photo of tanks here, a brief article on uniforms there, even some wargaming scenarios, but very little on the fighting of the war on the part of these countries.

Don't need anything on the resistance - my book stops after the formal organized resistance by these countries cease. And the "Free Forces" are already being covered by another author (so far as I know). So all I need is 39-40 era data.

Perhaps some of the LAFers, including natives of these countries, could help? I need sources in English wherever possible, obviously!

Thank you in advance. I'm very grateful.

-Doc

Offline cdr

• Scientist
Re: Need some Assistance with Orbats/Information/Doctrine for 1939-1940
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 11:37:45 AM »
http://abl1914to1940.aceboard.fr/

The above is a very good forum (mostly in French) on the Belgian army (organisation, equipment, armament, uniforms) between 1914 and 1940. If you need more just mail

http://www.mil.be/cav/doc/viewdoc.asp?LAN=fr&FILE=&ID=622

This PDF gives you everything you need to know about Belgian cavalry

Carl
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 12:37:53 PM by cdr »

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 10:28:39 PM »
Thank you kindly, Carl. I'm grateful.

-Doc

Offline Spicker

• Bookworm
  • Jakob Spicker
    • My Picasa Pictures
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 07:45:02 AM »
Sorry if this constitutes post necromancy... but I just stumbled on this post.

A local Esbjerg (Danish) historian (Bo Ejstrud) has made a very thorough list for Flames of War for the Norwegian and Danish national armies prior to and during the short fighting against Germany. It contains short descriptions of the army organisations and doctrines as well as references to sites on the internet with more info.

Link to Weserübung Briefing

A "live performance" of the skirmish at the Danish-German border will be present at Horisont...
"...Smith suspected that she now saw him as a contemptible, worthless eunuch, or, in the parlance of women, a friend."

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 10:03:37 AM »
I don't know how useful this will be as it is based purely on the Orbats, but I've found it very useful in the past and pretty reliable. At the very least it's a good starting point.

http://niehorster.orbat.com/000_admin/000oob.htm

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 08:26:25 PM »
Thank you Spicker, Helen, and Jim.

The Book is already finished and off to the printer, but the information you shared is very useful for my own insidious purposes. I'm grateful.

-Alex