Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:01:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690764
  • Total Topics: 118348
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sludge - Post-napocalyptic kitbashing - Officer painted 15/1  (Read 33768 times)

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
Re: Sludge - The Grand Sultanate of Malakal - Pikes and knights 15/8
« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2021, 02:11:54 PM »
Have never heard off Artrsia, will need to check it out.
Have been doing some surfing, must say I am more intrigued by this African take on it rather than the grungy Napoleonic feel of some of the armies.
A sort of Prester John crossed with Nausicaa.
I'm getting a vague monster blood tattoo feel as well.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2021, 04:03:02 PM »
Thanks fellas!

If you google Sludge you get a lot of Turnip28 stuff as well, as they are similar in idea and scope, but the Turnip aesthetic tends to be grimier and more towards the absurd and strange. Sludge leans a bit more into Nausicaa as you say, and I have seen some nice non-European takes, mostly using either Perry afghans or some form of Japanese samurai minis.

Some of my inspiration include books by Marlon James, Nnedi Okarafor and Kai Ashante Wilson.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2021, 09:24:40 PM »
Just a small update. Been very unproductive as of late, but I managed to finally get these two bases of Line Infantry finished. These are French Elite Company bodies instead of the Austrian Landwehr that I used for the main foce, but with the paint scheme I feel they should blend in well.

Offline Ursus Maior

• Student
  • Historian with a few to many
« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2021, 09:30:16 PM »
Love the poses and conversions.   This is somewhat reminiscent of the Artesia graphic novels by Mark Smylie.
I haven't heard that name in a while. What an interesting universe. Always wanted to dip into it and GM the RPG.
liber & infractus

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: Sludge - The Grand Sultanate of Malakal - Line Infantry 10/10
« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2021, 07:56:17 AM »
Those should blend in fine, they look great!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2021, 05:08:29 PM »
I haven't heard that name in a while. What an interesting universe. Always wanted to dip into it and GM the RPG.

Huh, had no idea someone had done an RPG for the setting.  And the pdf is on sale at DTRPG till the 12th, no less.  Timely.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/3222/Artesia-Adventures-in-the-Known-World

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: Sludge - The Grand Sultanate of Malakal - Line Infantry 10/10
« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2021, 10:31:41 PM »
Decided to start a second force in case I want to demo or play solo. Still waiting to try out these rules but they seem super fun, but I think I need a little bit more effort to get going at my gaming club. A lot of games to catch up on after pandemic closures lifted....

For these guys I am aiming for a drab medieval look with muskets. Colour scheme will evoke more 20th century military uniforms with the addition of a lot of rust.

Models are all Perry War of the Roses with the addition of some Perry and Victrix muskets and backpacks.

Commander and bodyguards:

Line infantry with muskets:

Shock troops/grenadiers. Should these guys get backpacks as well?

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Sludge - Post-napocalyptic kitbashing - Second army started 15/10
« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2021, 08:09:23 AM »
Oh Wow!

The first 3 look very standard WoTR builds - but then adding the musket arms works so well! The figures look right anatomically (i.e. the musket arms just fit the bodies) but they look so different as well from the historical norm, but also work really well.

Will be great to see them painted up especially if you go with 20th Centuray military colours - which will again contrast with the expected bright WoTR livery colours

Shock troopers - no back-packs - will make them look a bit different on the table.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2021, 10:56:04 AM »
Shock troopers - no back-packs - will make them look a bit different on the table.

Agreed.  No backpacks though there could be a couple of bearers/slaves, a cart (whatever fits your backstory) carrying Infernal Contraptions like grenades, petards, coehorns etc.  Or maybe these go with the sappers and engineers?

As for colours?  Maybe something that contrasts with the other units either much darker or much brighter - your army, your choice.

Great work.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #84 on: October 17, 2021, 03:14:48 AM »
They look great mate.

I think backpacks would work well for grenadiers, especially with an eye catching color on the epaulets matching the feathers ( perhaps add feathers to the featherless helmets). This would kind of follow French grenadier aesthetic but may work better with a more unique color than French red.

Without backpacks they may look more like officers than elite shocktroops.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2021, 09:40:39 AM »
Started painting sans backpacks, but I may be leaning more towards adding them later. The line infantry will be on larger multibases, while the shock troops stay on singles, so they will be easily distinguishable on the table either way.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #86 on: October 17, 2021, 08:45:34 PM »
It is easier to add them later than remove them.

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #87 on: October 20, 2021, 08:23:48 AM »
Lovely models, I really like the orange and yellow, it contrasts nicely with both the dark rocky bases and the murkiness of the setting, yet it seems to fit in.

I've been through the whole thread now and its so very tempting to start a Sludge army, I've got lots of Perry medievals so a couple of boxes of napoleonics is all it would take. Cheap and simple project.

Maybe some Afghans or Mahdisttoo, maybe I can finally find an excuse to pick up some Victrix elephants, I might need some camels or some more barded horses...

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #88 on: October 20, 2021, 05:02:18 PM »
It is a super fun game to build for, I can tell you that! Hope we get some battle beast rules in the first expansion, I would love some elephants. From what people say on Facebook the rules are solid, they look real fun to me at least. Hope to try soon enough.

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #89 on: October 21, 2021, 07:40:49 PM »
Haven't had the chance to go through this before. It's quite a unique setting by the looks of it! Take it you've not had the chance to play yet?
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords