Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:44:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Sludge - Post-napocalyptic kitbashing - Officer painted 15/1  (Read 33118 times)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Re: Sludge - The Grand Sultanate of Malakal - Also hussars 28/6
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2021, 04:04:48 PM »
Dude, the speed at which you assemble and paint (to a high standard!) all these various projects astounds me! Are you retired?

Online Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2021, 04:47:39 PM »
Dude, the speed at which you assemble and paint (to a high standard!) all these various projects astounds me! Are you retired?

Thank you! Not at all, I'm a millennial and won't be retiring for many decades yet. I teach upper elementary school and summer holidays started just over a week ago so I do have a good amount of free time right now.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 11:18:03 PM by Ogrob »

Online Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2021, 10:54:02 PM »
A small update for today, I have finished assembling all the models for the first draft of an army list for the game. I will probably not build to much more until I get the chance to try the game, though I do need to get around to making some tokens.

First up is four heavy cavalry with lances. I call these the Knights of St Dahomey, inspired by the elite female soldiers of real world Dahomey, and their possibly more well known fictional counter part, the Dora Milaje from Black Panther. These are Perry agincourt knights, some of the horse armour is from the WotR kit, with heads from Shieldwolf's Shieldmaid kit.

And second a Sorceress. This is one of the three types of spell caster in the game, and what stood out to me is that it is the only one that carries melee weapons. I decided on a sort of Battle Mage look rather than the tribal sorcerer pictured in the game rules. Frostgrave wizard body, Perry WotR men at arms arms and another Shieldwolf head.

I have also built another five hussars, but they will be painted in sub assemby and are very similar to the first lot, so no pictures of these.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: Sludge - The Grand Sultanate of Malakal - More kitbashing 30/6
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2021, 06:01:06 AM »
Continually great kitbashing mate!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2021, 07:20:15 AM »
Nice!
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2021, 11:19:41 AM »
More cool work, this is a great project!

I’ll have to have a look at the Perry Agincourt stuff, I have so much WoTR stuff that I kind of forget about the Agincourt range

Online Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2021, 12:01:58 PM »
Thank you all!

Fred, the Agincourt range is very nice, but a little trickier to convert with all the bascinets already on the torsos as opposed to the modular heads on the WotR men at arms. Still, very nice kits all around. To be honest though, the main reason I use them so much is I have spares from my Game of Thrones project. If I was starting Sludge from scratch the War of the Roses kits may well be the best way to go. One really cool way to go would be to grab Napoleonic cavalry helmets (French Dragoons for example) and stick them on War of the Roses armoured bodies.

Online Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2021, 03:37:45 PM »
Alright, next update! I am quickly getting to the point where I will have finished the first planned army list. Only 10 models left to paint now, though 9 of them are cavalry. I've started working on some tokens as well though just from reading the rules I am a little unsure how many I really need. Probably quite a few.

Anyway, here's the second unit of Line Infantry, these have heads from Perry's Zulu kit with greenstuffed fezzes. The flag bearer is a Perry ansar body and the horn blower a Wargames Atlantic afghan body. I like the idea that flags and musicians wear a bit more traditional garb.

And here's the first painted character, a Chaplain. She is essentially a spell caster with defensive buffs.

What do you think?

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
“What do I think?”

It’s a really cracking idea, really well executed. I’m impressed. And impressed with the speed you have done them too.

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Great to see some Sludge here - I’ve been taking a 10mm approach but haven’t made much progress. These look fantastic, love them!

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Great to see some Sludge here - I’ve been taking a 10mm approach but haven’t made much progress. These look fantastic, love them!

Do tell more, I’m being tempted by Sludge, and would likely go 10mm

Online Ogrob

• Mastermind
Another model finished. This is the army Commander with Bodyguard and army standard bearer.

I know not everyone is a fan of the tactical rocks on the bases, but I wanted to have a bit more happening on all these big 50mm rounds in the force. The banner symbols are Adinkra symbols from Ghana. I know very little of these, just what I found after some googling. The circles refer to royalty, which suits the idea that this Commander is a member of the Malakal royal family.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 08:34:19 AM by Ogrob »

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
 :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

The banner looks brilliant...love the metals as well.

I like the basing as well...seems entirely appropriate given the theme....maybe even have a dab of street markings on the odd base or two  ;)

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Do tell more, I’m being tempted by Sludge, and would likely go 10mm

Not to derail this excellent thread but it works well for 10mm - 20mm squares with 4 infantry as a ‘base’. I’m working on one very infantry bases force at mo using Franco-Prussian prussians from Pendraken. Have a peak at my Instagram and you should find a WIP post.

Offline Ragsta

• Scientist

Lovely colour scheme and builds here, and I like the basing and conversion skill very much. Projects like this can so freeing, great use of bits :)