Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:18:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Phalangites/Spearmen scale compatible with Warlord EIR plastics?  (Read 932 times)

Offline mithril

• Bookworm
been working on an Ancients inspired Kings of War force, loosely inspired by The Palmyrene Empire. i have Plastic warlord EIR Roman legionaries currently as the main infantry core, with Gripping beast Arab infantry and late roman Cataphracts for supporting forces.

but i'd like to field some pikemen, since in KoW those are very potent at tying up units. unfortunately, the warlord phalangites are massive compared to their EIR romans, and the victrix ones aren't much different, as i understand.

any suggestions on either Phalangites or period and region appropriate spearmen figures i could get reasonably cheap for use?

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
Re: Phalangites/Spearmen scale compatible with Warlord EIR plastics?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 04:44:51 AM »
Mithril, A and A Miniatures produce a range of metal Palmyrans which may have what you are after. No pike but they do have spearmen. They have monthly "deals" so you may wish to wait and see the July one as June covers cavalry. 

Offline Jjonas

• Scientist
  • Ancient Modeler
    • Ancient Hellenistic Battles mostly
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 04:48:48 AM »
I'm not familiar with what a Palmyrene Empire phalangite might look like. There was a hold out of possible phalangites from Commagene- which may or may not have been part of Palmyrene forces. The Commagene phalanx is dubiously reported by Josephus at the Roman siege of Jerusalem. As such the best guess as to what they would look like is totally up in the air. Since you have already committed to Gripping Beasts and smaller 28mm figures as your target, I would suggest 1st Corps for phalangites as some might appeal, or Old Glory trousered phalangites. Another possibility is Gripping beast and simply use their veteran spearmen since they look the part.

These might do:
https://www.grippingbeast.co.uk/PUN02_Veterans_Standing--product--5655.html

Change out the shields for these:
https://www.grippingbeast.co.uk/SC14_Smooth_Bucklers_12--product--4174.html
https://www.grippingbeast.co.uk/SC37_Successor_Pikemen_Shields_12--product--4196.html
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 04:50:21 AM by Jjonas »
JJonas

Offline mithril

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 06:59:38 AM »
yeah this is somewhat open territory. we don;t really have much to work with. the city's statues and decorative carvings tend to show roman and greek style equipment, i figured that might be the best place to start.. though given its location could easily be persian style stuff too. (they did apparently use persian style cataphracts after all)

since this is for fantasy i have some leeway in choice (i mean, the roman legionaries are 1st century type, so i'm already anachronistic to history), so i'm mainly hoping to find stuff that looks good.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 08:33:46 AM »
I would second 1st Corps for being compatible in size. 
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 08:37:36 AM »
The best match, size wise, for Warlord Romans, I've found, is early Perry sculpted Foundry maybe just use foundry's Roman auxiliaries with spears or have look at their old Carthaginian pikeman ( who are fantasy miniatures anyway  lol).

I take it  you'd rather use plastic, judging by your choices for the rest of the army,  so another option is to go for something eastern looking and kit bash from the wargames Atlantic Persians I mean they probably wouldn't be overly historical but this more of a fantasy army so I think you could make it work.

Offline Fremitus Borealis

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 12:24:04 PM »
I don't know of any plastic phalangites in the size range you're looking for, but I'd second (or third) the comments about the (metal) 1st Corps or Old Glory being slightly-smaller-enough to fit in with the smaller Warlord EIR legionaries.
"Nice try, history; better luck next year."

Offline mithril

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2021, 12:36:09 AM »
I take it  you'd rather use plastic, judging by your choices for the rest of the army,  so another option is to go for something eastern looking and kit bash from the wargames Atlantic Persians I mean they probably wouldn't be overly historical but this more of a fantasy army so I think you could make it work.
i'd actually considered getting some GB late roman infantry plastics and mixing them with the Arab Plastics. or at least doing headswaps between the two.