Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:31:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Massive New Blakes 7 Wargame  (Read 1868 times)

Offline Tubehead

• Student
Massive New Blakes 7 Wargame
« on: June 23, 2021, 08:34:47 AM »

Crossposting this from the Oldhammer forum so forgive me if you've seen this already...
I've been working on writing this game for 10 years and now it is finally finished, so I'd like to share it for free with those who would like to have it.
Here's the blurb...
Blakes 7 Battle Factions is a complete in-depth wargame for 28mm miniatures.
At 186 pages / 93,249 words, Blakes 7 Battle Factions uses an exclusive rules system specially created to capture an immersive in-universe feeling for Blakes 7 specifically.
Realistic breadth and depth is given to the playable characters reflecting their personalities as shown in the series, whilst retaining fast-paced playability.
A very substantial thick tome of rules & background (when printed, anyway), this entirely free pdf contains an exhaustive selection of over 90 Blakes 7 characters and unit types, an extremely comprehensive scenarios section, and mountains of insightful connections and background detail.
If you've ever been interested in Blakes 7 wargaming this is the specifically in-universe ruleset you've been waiting for...
I've written it in the style of an early 80's wargame. I figured if you like Blakes 7, you'd appreciate that too.
Its yours for free.

https://archive.org/details/blakes-7-battle-factions/mode/2up

Years ago I read a thread on a forum (maybe the old crooked dice forum) about what people would want out of a Blakes 7 wargame. One of the things many people said they wanted was to see illustrations they hadn't already seen a hundred times before over the years. (So accordingly, I faked some up...)
Another thing people mainly wanted was a big scenarios section that covered transmitted episodes as well as scenarios akin to untransmitted episodes set during Series A-D. Furthermore nearly everyone wanted a "what if" section to cover a possible Series E. (I've tried my best to deliver what was asked.) The cover illustration represents characters from the hypothetical Series E section of these rules, as I wanted to emphasise the option offered in the game of moving forward into more Blakes 7 in the form of narrative gaming that goes beyond the final episode.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 08:42:14 AM by Tubehead »

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Massive New Blakes 7 Wargame
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 09:21:31 AM »
I'm a massive Blakes7 fan, and reading this post alone has me wanting to rewatch the entire series again (I own a complete set on DVD). I've ogled the minis at Crooked Dice many times already, but had no incentive (outside of I WANT ;) ) to buy them just yet.

But if your rules catch my gaming eye, I just might take that plunge after all; I'll be checking it out... :)

Kudo's to you for creating a B7 rulesset in the first place though! 8)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Tubehead

• Student
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 09:53:00 AM »
I'm a massive Blakes7 fan, and reading this post alone has me wanting to rewatch the entire series again (I own a complete set on DVD). I've ogled the minis at Crooked Dice many times already, but had no incentive (outside of I WANT ;) ) to buy them just yet.

But if your rules catch my gaming eye, I just might take that plunge after all; I'll be checking it out... :)

Kudo's to you for creating a B7 rulesset in the first place though! 8)

Thank you for the very kind reply; it made my day!  :)
The crooked dice figs moved over to Beast in the Broch. Also there are some excellent federation troopers over at CP Models. I use them as veteran and elite troopers, so I can tell them easily from the rank and file fed guards.  :)

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 12:54:20 AM »
Amazing work there. Thanks for posting the link.

It's been decades since I watched Blakes 7 and this got me keen to rewatch again.

I don't recognise some of the actors in the photos in the ruleset  - are they from spin off/fan made series?

Offline Tubehead

• Student
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 10:41:26 AM »
Amazing work there. Thanks for posting the link.

It's been decades since I watched Blakes 7 and this got me keen to rewatch again.

I don't recognise some of the actors in the photos in the ruleset  - are they from spin off/fan made series?

Thanks very much! Those are just photomanipulations representing characters indigenous to the hypothetical "Series E" scenarios section in the game. You see, in order to provide some forward plot momentum after the final episode, some new key supporting characters were devised in order to get whoever survived Gauda Prime into action again, and to get a new chain of interlinked stories underway. The pictures were created just to help get players' thoughts moving. Really you can use any miniatures you like to represent them, but of course you're also free to substitute your own ideas!  :)

Offline Sgt_T

• Scientist
    • Toomuchterrain
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2021, 07:03:22 AM »
Thanks for sharing this, I'll definitely check it out!
As a long time fan I had a go myself at Blake's 7 with modified Chain of Command rules.
Look here for an AAR:https://toomuchterrain.blogspot.com/2021/01/blakes7-raid-on-ledger.html

I'm also considering using Black Ops rules which seem to fit the stealth operations of Blake's 7.

T.

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2021, 07:24:07 AM »
Thanks for the info.

A bit disappointed that these aren't from actual spin offs, I had hopes as they were carrying the very distinctive blaster pistol thingies with their telephone cord power leads from the Liberator. I'd be a huge fan of a (well made) B7 reboot/spinoff/whatever. Loved the old show with great writing, compelling characters and an all-round superb cast despite being made very much on the cheap.

I will move the Beast in the Broch Federation Trooper to the front of the painting queue and see where we go from there. Short term plans were to use them as pirates in StarGrave...

Thanks very much! Those are just photomanipulations representing characters indigenous to the hypothetical "Series E" scenarios section in the game. You see, in order to provide some forward plot momentum after the final episode, some new key supporting characters were devised in order to get whoever survived Gauda Prime into action again, and to get a new chain of interlinked stories underway. The pictures were created just to help get players' thoughts moving. Really you can use any miniatures you like to represent them, but of course you're also free to substitute your own ideas!  :)

Offline Tubehead

• Student
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2021, 07:30:39 AM »
Thanks for sharing this, I'll definitely check it out!
As a long time fan I had a go myself at Blake's 7 with modified Chain of Command rules.
Look here for an AAR:https://toomuchterrain.blogspot.com/2021/01/blakes7-raid-on-ledger.html

I'm also considering using Black Ops rules which seem to fit the stealth operations of Blake's 7.

T.

Very cool stuff. I see you modified a CP Models Fed trooper squadleader a bit! That's a nice variation.  I also like the modular walls you used. You should have seen the cardboard lash-up I was using to playtest my rules. lol
If you get familiar enough with the Battle Factions rules, I'd like to hear sometime how they compare to your Chain of Command rules. I have not heard of that ruleset before. I guess it's oriented for special ops teams then? There's a bit of that in Battle Factions. SOG teams are allowed to infiltrate deep into the table, repel into battle from hovering flyers, and things of that nature. Thanks for sharing!

Offline Tubehead

• Student
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2021, 07:47:53 AM »
A bit disappointed that these aren't from actual spin offs, I had hopes as they were carrying the very distinctive blaster pistol thingies with their telephone cord power leads from the Liberator. I'd be a huge fan of a (well made) B7 reboot/spinoff/whatever. Loved the old show...

Believe it or not, I did seriously consider hiring some Japanese cosplayers and getting my wife Anne to help out, as she is quite lovely and has modeling and cosplay/sewing experience and has won 1st place costuming awards at several different SF conventions. I wanted to get a few folks into some interesting B7-inspired gear and go take some photos in an atmospheric-looking desolate rock-strewn area down by the Shinano river, which is a couple of blocks from my house. But after considering the huge prices of B7 props on ebay, shipping costs to Japan, prices of fabric, and time required in making costumes, I became hesitant. Also my wife is so overworked teaching English classes she simply didn't have the time to play like she used to. There are some Japanese girls I'm good friends with who would probably do it but it's difficult to impose on people here, especially across the language barrier. In the end I finally just realized that it was going to be too much to deal with over illustrations for a wargame pdf, and I'd already invested so much time and effort already, I had to draw the line somewhere. I still think it would have been tremendous fun to do though.  :) I agree, I'd love to see some well made spinoffs. I'd jump at the chance to write the scripts!