Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:47:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: African Knights  (Read 3738 times)

Offline Thew2

• Bookworm
African Knights
« on: June 26, 2021, 04:56:02 PM »
Hi folks. I've not posted anything on the colonial board yet, but as the Copplestone African ranges are my absolute favourites, I thought it was about time I started a thread!

When Foundry published Conrad Cairns book on the eastern Savannah Kingdoms was published I knew I wanted to start converting and painting figures for these colourful and varied armies. I'm very slow at completing things, but have finished three Kanembu spearmen for starters, with another eight nearing completion. I also have some Munga bowmen which will hopefully be completed in the near(ish) future.

I love the Musgum architecture, and have sculpted and painted a test piece for what will be a small village.

Finally I've also converted some Musgum horsemen, primarily using Foundry Numidians with head swaps. They're based on the sketch in the Cairns book, by Heinrich Barth, plus some brilliant more recent sketches by Christan Seignobos (if you haven't seen these I thoroughly recommend googling them). I'm looking forward to getting some paint on them!

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: African Knights
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2021, 05:05:43 PM »
A great start, will be following your thread with interest...it’s good to see something different than the stereotypical force that gets fielded in colonial games

:)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2021, 05:34:29 PM »
Nice to see, I look forward to seeing how this progresses, Conrad is a member of out club :)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2021, 05:37:57 PM »
Real bad luck for all three of those guys to get toothache at the same time!  :)

Just kidding. Looking really great. Will be interested to see the horsemen finished.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2021, 05:57:05 PM »
Ok now we are talking. I have the same book and spent many years wondering what conversions you would need  to do to create this sort of army. Thinking about it was as far as I ever got though so I will follow your project with interest. The Kanembu look great.

Offline sultanbev

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2021, 09:01:45 PM »
I have a 28mm plastic 19th Century Ethiopian army, and they used some armoured cavalry in the padded armour as used in the Bornu-Kanem army.

I've made some 28mm Beni Amir/Ethiopian knights in plastic using the Gripping Beast Goth armoured cavalry on barded horses with different heads, although most aren't painted yet.
if I knew how to do photos I'd put one up.
See if this works:

Offline sultanbev

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2021, 09:05:03 PM »
ooh, that worked!
Here is another picture of my Ethiopian CinC with bodyguard:

Offline Thew2

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2021, 09:45:48 PM »
Nice work! Are the different headdresses and helmets conversions? They certainly look convincing.

It's nice to hear that Conrad is a member of your local club, Atheling. It's a great book and is certainly the inspiration for this tread.

Thanks for the comments. There's a Foundry pack (DA077) with headdresses rather like the Barth Musgum chief, and I think the upper half of the Numidian tunics look pretty convincing as a hide cuirasses. The other style of Musgum cap, the plaited grass type, was relatively straightforward to sculpt directly onto a bare head. I'll do my best to colour them in ASAP.

Offline sultanbev

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2021, 10:02:37 PM »
Aye, the helmets are conversions, I think I cut off the top of the Goth heavy cavalry helm and inserted a disc, then stuck the cut-off part back on. The CinC has a complete Zulu head with feathers.

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2021, 06:49:29 PM »
I too am interested in the area and period. Wargames Illustrated # 404 has an article on Samori Toure and his forces.Castaway Arts has a small range of Western Sudan figures. https://www.castawayarts.com.au/index.php?cmd=store .
Mark

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2021, 06:51:32 PM »
Hi folks. I've not posted anything on the colonial board yet, but as the Copplestone African ranges are my absolute favourites, I thought it was about time I started a thread!

When Foundry published Conrad Cairns book on the eastern Savannah Kingdoms was published I knew I wanted to start converting and painting figures for these colourful and varied armies. I'm very slow at completing things, but have finished three Kanembu spearmen for starters, with another eight nearing completion. I also have some Munga bowmen which will hopefully be completed in the near(ish) future.

I love the Musgum architecture, and have sculpted and painted a test piece for what will be a small village.

Finally I've also converted some Musgum horsemen, primarily using Foundry Numidians with head swaps. They're based on the sketch in the Cairns book, by Heinrich Barth, plus some brilliant more recent sketches by Christan Seignobos (if you haven't seen these I thoroughly recommend googling them). I'm looking forward to getting some paint on them!

Did those mounted figures come from Tradition of London?
Mark

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2021, 12:47:22 AM »
Ohh interesting.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2021, 01:00:09 AM »
Looks like your off to a good start!

I've neglected my Darkest Africa project for too long... this is making me want to look to see what I still have left!
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2021, 08:49:38 PM »
Lovely conversion work.
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Thew2

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2022, 06:00:05 PM »
Rather later than planned, but I have finally painted up the Musgum horsemen from last year. I'll need to get a few more converted to complete the unit, but they are a bit fiddly to build...

There are more Kanembu spearmen almost completed, and after that I'll probably move on to some archers, as they are a pretty important component.