Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:10:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for advice for Dutch Colonial Army - Victorian, er Wilheminian period  (Read 7773 times)

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
Hey there. I was just looking for some advice on building a colonial Dutch force in 28mm. I am aware of the excellent miniatures available from Tiger, and I do plan on getting them, but I would like to add some non KNIL units to the army. I was thinking about Grenadiers and Jagers.

First of all, the Grenadiers:

These are the modern versions, but the Victorian age minis don't seem to be that much different

(This is a fantastic site by the way, if you can navigate yourself around in Dutch) http://www.collectie.legermuseum.nl/strategion/strategion/i004925.html

I was thinking about using Ironclads British Grenadier Guards with the appropriate Green Stuff additions.

I had some thoughts on the Jagers as well

I was thinking about going Ironclad here as well.

However the shakos aren't quite the same, and the pants are tucked into the boots..... They will do in a pinch (I love the miniatures, don't get me wrong), but there might be a better option out there.

If anyone has any better suggestions for the Grenadiers or Jagers (or any other Dutch units for the period) I would appreciate it!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 05:05:36 AM by Chairface »

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
For the Jaegers you may be better off looking at the various WWI Germans - GWM, Renegade etc, or even the Brigade Models Belgians?? Foundry Franco Prussian range Jaegers would be my first choice I think. I used GWM for some late Victorian Germans in China.

The only other bearskins?? that spring to mind are Crimean British
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
Thank you for the excellent advice Svenn! The Foundry Jaegers make much better matches. A little pricier than I like, but its Foundry.

Does anybody have any they don't want hanging around?  ;)

The Brigade Belgians are interesting as well

« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 04:19:05 AM by Chairface »

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
Lots of French for the Franco Prussian war on Ebay but very few Prussians other than cavalry.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
I'm not sure if I'd use the bearskin guys in the colonies... They are more for show so probably used in parades and on guard duty in Holland. I doubt that you would have seen them in action wearing those usinforms...
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
Won't Ironclad/Brigade look a little odd next to Tiger/Foundry? the former are quite large.
Looking forward to seeing where you'll take this, an interesting subject.
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
I'm not sure if I'd use the bearskin guys in the colonies... They are more for show so probably used in parades and on guard duty in Holland. I doubt that you would have seen them in action wearing those usinforms...

Good point, and I understand that. They're non-dress uniforms are basically blue versions of the Jagers, but I like the idea of the Bearskin uniforms from a purely asthetic standpoint. And in truly histoical terms the Jagers and Grenadiers would never have seen duty in the Colonies. The small domestic Dutch army was mainly made up of conscripts, where the seperate Colonial army, the KNIL,  was professional, made up of professional Dutch soldiers, European mercenaries, as well as African and indiginous units. I don't know if I'll have two seperate armies, domestic and colonial, or merge units from both in some kind of mad VSF force. 

Won't Ironclad/Brigade look a little odd next to Tiger/Foundry? the former are quite large.
Looking forward to seeing where you'll take this, an interesting subject.

Another good point. Honestly I hope that they will work together. I haven't actually laid eyes on miniatures from Tiger or Ironclad yet. Some variance may be acceptable.

Thanks for the interest. It will come together slowly but surely. I will probably do a naval squad and some VSF units as well.

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
Ironclad to Renegade comparison if that's of any help.

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
I'm the first one to say, that astetic reasons should be the main focus in a hobby like ours. I just thought I'd point out the obvious - by all means feel free to use bearskins. As long as it looks nice it's fine with me.  :)

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
I'm the first one to say, that astetic reasons should be the main focus in a hobby like ours. I just thought I'd point out the obvious - by all means feel free to use bearskins. As long as it looks nice it's fine with me.  :)

Its all good. I asked for advice and you gave it. Good practical advice. If I were only more practical  :)

Skrapwelder, thank you so much for the size comparison. It is definitely a big help.

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
Re: Looking for advice for Dutch Colonial Army - Victorian, er Wilheminian period
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 12:48:16 PM »
Chairface,
Here is a comparison photo of my fairly poorly painted Tiger KNIL figures in comparison to an Artizan not-Thin man and a Copplestone Tommy

Hope this helps.
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Looking for advice for Dutch Colonial Army - Victorian, er Wilheminian perio
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 02:09:19 AM »
Thanks MG! They look so clumsy next to the Copplestone and the Artizan minis (the sculpts themselves, not your paint job) I'm on the fence.

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Looking for advice for Dutch Colonial Army - Victorian, er Wilheminian period
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 12:37:25 AM »
I have some of the Brigade Belgians if you want to see them.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 03:01:22 AM »
That would be fantastic Sterling Moose.

And a big thanks to my new LAF friend who pointed out the Foundry Prussian Jaegers that just came up on ebay! There is enough for  a couple of squads!