Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:19:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689638
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Bonnie Blue Flag test game AAR  (Read 1187 times)

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
Bonnie Blue Flag test game AAR
« on: June 28, 2021, 07:55:38 PM »
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 05:00:50 PM by vtsaogames »
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
Re: Bonnie Blue Flad test game AAR
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 08:45:55 PM »
Thanks for posting this and glad you got it to the table. The ‘sudden death’ from the 10% rule can feel very disruptive to the narrative and somewhat arbitary when it happens to a unit that is fresh and good quality, much less so if a beaten up unit suffers it.

very much look forward to your outing with Shadow of the Eagle.

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
Re: Bonnie Blue Flad test game AAR
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2021, 03:08:54 AM »
Are you referring to Flad the Inhaler, famed for stifling captured Turks with cigarette smoke? ;)
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
Re: Bonnie Blue Flag test game AAR
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 05:02:26 PM »
Didn't even notice the typo. I guess Flad's nickname would be Dragula, though some might mistake that for an early proponent of the Pride holiday.

Offline Bydand

• Schoolboy
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2021, 09:57:50 PM »
Enjoyed reading your AAR it is always interesting to get other peoples thoughts on the rules.
If I may explain my rationale when writing the rules to include units on full attrition quitting the field after falling foul of the 10% rule. Think of the failure as being part of the bigger narrative regarding the particular unit in the lead up to battle, a veteran regiment for instance may seem to be in fine fettle with its full complement of attrition as you order it forward but what if,
a) It was badly handled in its previous engagement.
b) Has no confidence in its new Colonel.
c) Has a high percentage of new recruits.
d) Feels it is being sacrificed ( once again ) in a futile attack.
e) Nearing the end of its enlistment and sees no point in taking risks having done more than its share of fighting.
These are just a few of the plausable reasons why a unit may unexpectedly perform so badly when engaging with the enemy,
thinking of the outcome in this context also helps soften the blow of rolling such abysmally low dice in the first place !!
Kevin

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2021, 03:59:34 AM »
 lol
Didn't even notice the typo. I guess Flad's nickname would be Dragula, though some might mistake that for an early proponent of the Pride holiday.

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2021, 06:25:02 AM »
Enjoyed reading your AAR it is always interesting to get other peoples thoughts on the rules.
If I may explain my rationale when writing the rules to include units on full attrition quitting the field after falling foul of the 10% rule. Think of the failure as being part of the bigger narrative regarding the particular unit in the lead up to battle, a veteran regiment for instance may seem to be in fine fettle with its full complement of attrition as you order it forward but what if,
a) It was badly handled in its previous engagement.
b) Has no confidence in its new Colonel.
c) Has a high percentage of new recruits.
d) Feels it is being sacrificed ( once again ) in a futile attack.
e) Nearing the end of its enlistment and sees no point in taking risks having done more than its share of fighting.
These are just a few of the plausable reasons why a unit may unexpectedly perform so badly when engaging with the enemy,
thinking of the outcome in this context also helps soften the blow of rolling such abysmally low dice in the first place !!
Kevin

I think there is also the potential issue of the player wrongly just applying the 10% roll to the actual dice by misreading the rule, i.e. going for a real 10% of failure and removal based purely on the dice roll, which is what I did initially, when really the rule is crafted so that it is only 10% of the score you actually need to pass, so often the 10% fails are in the 2 - 4% range and the better units should overall be in the lower end of that range. 

Offline Redshank

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2021, 08:29:29 AM »
Even still, a 1 in 50 chance of a fresh veteran unit melting away feels a bit much.

Seems easily amended to a flat 01, or say 01 if unit score is 01-50 or 01-02 if 51+?

The 10% rule as written feels a better fit for the Mex-American War, which I am interested in trying these rules for.