Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:43:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Zombietown - Under Construction - NEW PICS & LOADS OF 'EM  (Read 22851 times)

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
Zombietown - Under Construction - NEW PICS & LOADS OF 'EM
« on: September 12, 2009, 01:35:51 PM »
I received some Old Glory buildings back from terrain-builder and painter extraordinaire Darren Couch of Black Knight Studios http://black-knight-studios.co.uk/.

So I decided to have a set up of Zombietown to add to what I've already made - and see how it fitted with the Facility that I posted earlier -  http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=12215.0

The whole table is approximately 3'x5'. It's been collected and built over many years and you've probably seen most of the buildings in other posts. A couple are things I've scratch built - e.g. the burger bar is based on Pappa Midnight's plans that he kindly provided. This is practically finished save for some minor internal finishing menu signs and one last Ainsty table to do (which I seem to be  putting off for some reason!).

Two of the buildings are stacked and glued Ainsty resin 'Front Street' ranges. Again I need to finish painting the grey/brown 4 storey one addings windows etc and the three story red brick one will have a bar on the ground floor which will need to be added, but that's currently being painted up.

There are a few of Plasticville buildings: Frosty's Bar is thankfully done; the gunshop need an interior; and the Supermarket hasn't even been started yet!

The other multi-story buildings are the Old Glory Chicago streets builds painted by Darren coz a) he's great and b) I just don't have time despite terrain being my favourite thing to do. The petrol station is also a Black Knight build based on some Worldworks plans.

All the photos have been uploaded to my Photobucket album here http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj278/pez47/Modern/Zombietown/?start=all, but the better ones are here:

The pics are not great - so apologies. The sun was too bright and with bigger set ups I can't get the angle or as close as I'd like. However, it did give me a better idea of what to switch around to make future games work a little better and highlighted how much I've still got to do!!  ;D

TO DO - I need to paint and weather the rest of the CNC road tiles. I'm glad I settled on these for the roads after year of trying different things - they're a little clunky and there's too many craters for my liking, but I like the depth they add.

Still to come is a Plasticville Bank and Hospital and the last two Old Glory buildings. The hospital will probably move up to back onto the Facility - and the other will fill the space behind Supermarket. I've a few other bits knocking around that I could add too - including an industrial section and docks, but I'd need more CNC roads and a lot more table space!

That said, I've been planning an overhead subway track and trains and a Mall (again both loosely based on Worldwork plans) with Darren for at least three years - but time and money mean they'll both be a way off...

« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 04:26:01 PM by uti long smile »
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

Online Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
Re: Zombietown - Under Construction
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 02:20:05 PM »
Scary, frightening, most fearsome!

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 03:02:17 PM »

Really nice!  8)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 03:41:37 PM »
Wow, a true eye opener...Im coming to Kent to steal it all mwahahah!  lol

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 04:14:32 PM »
top stuff... Akky will be seething  ;)

how does the facility attach to the city?

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 04:35:38 PM »
 Great set-up.Wish I could stay motivated to one thing long enough to do some thing similar.

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 04:45:38 PM »
What scale cars do you use?

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 04:49:01 PM »
Cheers all

Giraffey - No harm in keeping Akula on his toes  :D  Sorry no good shots of the Facility entrance here - it's still unpainted so I saved it's embarrassment and mainly kept it out of shot.

The idea was that the entrance to the lab was via the Ainsty loading dock - you can see it in the top left of this pic, by the ambulance and the couple of garishly painted guards. There was a chain link fence around the loading bay, but it kept blowing away in the wind!

While you can't see it the Facility has interior double and single doors to match the exterior Ainsty dock. My only regret is that Ainsty's Cold Store walls are about 3cm too high to match with the interior walls. So I'll probably scratch build a flat wall to fit it more seamlessly once the Hospital comes back from Darren and I've figured out all the building positions a bit more.

I plan to use the Hospital as a 'research facility' - a front for the Umbrella style zombie lab below. The second level of the Facility is below ground, sitting on the table top. Everything else sits on 5mm MDF boxes that I generally use to get multiple levels on my boards. I've a vault planned using the Copplestone Bank Set, which will also be below ground, but this is way off.  

Miner - It's been a slow burn over 5-10 years, as inevitably motivation has waned and other projects have sprung up!

Flip - The cars are 1:43, if my memory serves. Easy to pic up cheaply on ebay - although the ambulance came from the States.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 04:54:25 PM by uti long smile »

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 05:55:27 PM »
Giraffey - No harm in keeping Akula on his toes  :D  

I am really jealous!  Looks great Uti, you must be really pleased with how it is all coming together.

:D

My own zombietown has taken a back seat over the last couple of months, but I promise to get back on with it, once the carreir is done.

BTW - Uti - have just psoted some photos, as requested... ;)

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=13200.msg152358#new

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 06:05:57 PM »

Excellent!

I'm taking notes from your experiences - I notice, for example, that the streets are wide enough for two way traffic, but no more. I've been wrestling with this one - two lanes, parking, etc.? - but I think your solution is the best, in large part because it means more room for buildings and less wide open spaces!

I'll be coming back to this again and again for inspiration - so I'm looking forward to more!

Top stuff!
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 06:20:40 PM »
Ta Hawkeye :)

I've struggled with: what I like, what looks realistic and what's practical - and to be honest it's a liberal mix of all three in the end. I tried to have a generic city table that I could use for most genres that I play, that means it's a bastard of styles too. I think it's somewhere in the US for Pulp, superheroes and zombie games - but hopefully I can get away with using some of it for Doctor Who Miniature Games too. 

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 09:46:23 PM »
Cheers all

Giraffey - No harm in keeping Akula on his toes  :D  Sorry no good shots of the Facility entrance here - it's still unpainted so I saved it's embarrassment and mainly kept it out of shot.

The idea was that the entrance to the lab was via the Ainsty loading dock - you can see it in the top left of this pic, by the ambulance and the couple of garishly painted guards. There was a chain link fence around the loading bay, but it kept blowing away in the wind!

While you can't see it the Facility has interior double and single doors to match the exterior Ainsty dock. My only regret is that Ainsty's Cold Store walls are about 3cm too high to match with the interior walls. So I'll probably scratch build a flat wall to fit it more seamlessly once the Hospital comes back from Darren and I've figured out all the building positions a bit more.

I plan to use the Hospital as a 'research facility' - a front for the Umbrella style zombie lab below. The second level of the Facility is below ground, sitting on the table top. Everything else sits on 5mm MDF boxes that I generally use to get multiple levels on my boards. I've a vault planned using the Copplestone Bank Set, which will also be below ground, but this is way off.  

Miner - It's been a slow burn over 5-10 years, as inevitably motivation has waned and other projects have sprung up!

Flip - The cars are 1:43, if my memory serves. Easy to pic up cheaply on ebay - although the ambulance came from the States.

He's not the only one whose into this zed stuff remember!  ::)

Very very nice mate.

The Commander
I am really jealous!  Looks great Uti, you must be really pleased with how it is all coming together.

:D

My own zombietown has taken a back seat over the last couple of months, but I promise to get back on with it, once the carreir is done.

BTW - Uti - have just psoted some photos, as requested... ;)

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=13200.msg152358#new

And you're just too easily distrac...

oh look balloon!

;)
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 10:17:13 PM »
Vyper said:

oh look balloon!

lol lol lol lol lol lol

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 11:22:51 PM »
I really like the unified look you've acheived , I guess this means I have another 5 to 10 years of work to achieve something approaching this level. o_o
I will be stealing some ideas of course. :D

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2009, 11:34:08 PM »
A great table Uti, espceially like the internal buildings too