Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:31:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690722
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Writing simple homebrew rules  (Read 1764 times)

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Writing simple homebrew rules
« on: July 01, 2021, 08:20:30 PM »
So I was spending some time lately working out the kinks in my homebrew ruleset for skirmish gaming and I came across a definition on Wikipedia for "beer and pretzel" games that encapulates my blueprint for writing rules perfectly.  I always say that my intention when writing rules is: because I don't like many rules out there and because I want simple rules for pushing my toys around the table.

A beer and pretzels game is any of a class of tabletop games that are light on rules and strategy, feature a high amount of randomness and a light theme. The term was originally coined to describe relatively simple wargames that did not require extraordinary focus to play. The name was then adopted by gamers to mean casual, short and easy to play games in general. Beer and pretzels games vary greatly in theme and gameplay, but have a set of common characteristics. Rules are simple and generally explainable in just a few minutes. Turns pass quickly and humor is common. Randomness, either in the form of cards or dice is essential. Fortunes may revert quickly and the game often ends suddenly and unexpectedly. Scoring requires very simple calculations. From a design stand-point, beer and pretzels games are non-trivial to create. They need to have enough depth to encourage repeat play without a stiff learning curve, and need to be enjoyable in quick sessions

For me, that sums it up rather eloquently. I realize this is not everyone's cup of tea, but for me, it's paramount.In the Kreigspieler rules for "Setting the East Ablaze" they say "If you are a "gamey gamer" these rules are not for you. Go do something else".  lol lol

Anyone else follow this school of thought?

Offline Matty

• Assistant
Re: Writing simple homebrew rules
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 08:47:55 PM »
Absolutely.  I want anyone to be able to immediately jump in and play and not have to know the rules until they need to use them.  They should be able to think in terms of what the figures and terrain is and just go for it.  The worst are surprise implications of past actions.  "Now I get this modifier and that modifier because you advanced instead of doing a cautious advance.  And then you'll also get a morale class downgrade because you are taking fire from two points at 90 degrees from one another so you count as enfiladed."   o_o o_o

Lately I've been using Bob Cordery's Portable Wargaming because I find simple grid movement and counting squares for range is even easier and faster.

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 08:57:27 PM »
Agreed on that Matty. I think someone here wrote a simple participation game for a show based around Rome and it was super simple and I quite liked it.  :)

Little Wars TV had a great episode talking about how homebrew and house rules sometimes morph into a game all of it's own. The man behind Iron Ivan Games is the guest:

Offline Matty

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2021, 09:04:43 PM »
That video will definitely get played during my painting session in a few hours.

Another thing I like is lots of interaction/short down time.  I much prefer turn structures where people are making decisions and rolling dice at shorter intervals rather than waiting for someone to do everything with every part of their force.

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 01:13:08 AM »
I much prefer turn structures where people are making decisions and rolling dice at shorter intervals rather than waiting for someone to do everything with every part of their force.

Yes that. I like the way FFOL uses cards for activation to avoid the typical IGOUGO for that very reason.

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2021, 06:46:57 AM »
Definitely follow this school of thought. Don't get to play often, so need something that is easy to sort out forces, and plays smoothly with rules that can be picked up/taught easily and don't require lots of digging through tables cross referencing stats and adding 16 modifiers to work out if a figure hits during shooting.
Also agreed that card activations are significantly more fun than IGOUGO
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2021, 05:02:02 PM »
Xander, if you haven't already, you should check out Fistful of Lead. Checks all those boxes. ;)

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2021, 06:15:29 PM »
Xander, if you haven't already, you should check out Fistful of Lead. Checks all those boxes.

Plus one to that, they are fun too!

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2021, 06:26:17 PM »
Adding to that has.been is that they cover pretty much every period gamers play.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2021, 10:57:58 AM »
Adding to that has.been is that they cover pretty much every period gamers play.

Also, as it gives you a playable set, you are free to introduce
your own rules to cover your game.
My Home-brew WW2 rules cover the basics.
Then if playing Winter Russian front we include a few rules about snow.
No need to study up on:- Crossing sand, monsoon & how it effects road
movement, foggy days etc. etc.
K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid). :D :D :D

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2021, 03:13:38 PM »
I have a copy of has.been's Napoleonic skirmish rules, KISS Principle applied in full, and they give a cracking game!

:-*
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2021, 05:06:51 PM »
Thanks Harry.

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2021, 09:05:45 AM »
Rule 1 for rule writers: know the maths.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2021, 09:35:14 AM »
know the maths.

Sum do, sum don't.  lol

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2021, 09:48:58 PM »
Rule 1 for rule writers: know the maths.

Not as necessary as you think lol