Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:11:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: First attempts: Mexican-American War  (Read 1928 times)

Offline Redshank

• Librarian
First attempts: Mexican-American War
« on: July 02, 2021, 02:02:57 PM »
Hi folks, I'm fairly new to tabletop wargames, and I've settled on the Mexican-American War for my first project, inspired by learning about a new period and by some great miniatures ranges.

I couldn't decide between the Eureka 18mm range and the 1st Corps 28mm, so I ordered some samples and decided to have a go at painting them after watching a few youtube guides. This required dropping some more cash on one of those craft magnifying glass/lamps after I discovered my eyesight wasn't was I thought it was!

Here are my first efforts at setting brush to mini in 30 years+... first up, 18mm US regulars from Eureka:

Next, 28mm Mexican line infantry from 1st Corps:

The Eureka US dragoon and Mexican line cavalryman are unfinished but I want to give a shout to the efforts of Mrs Redshank on the Mexican's horse! She is interested in doing the horses from now on (...what monster have I created?).

They're obviously unbased as yet.

And I still haven't decided which scale I want to use. I found the 18mm easier and quicker to paint. All the fiddly detail on the 28mm was a bit of a nightmare and I kept making mistakes. They are far from the standard I want, whereas the 18mm looks kind of ok to me (although with much room for improvement). But then I keep thinking how good a battalion of 28mm would look based up.

I suppose 18mm feels like pool (I think I can quickly get to a reasonable standard) whereas 28mm feels like snooker - much harder, but possibly more impressive and rewarding when (if) I get there!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 02:05:24 PM by Redshank »

Offline Gribb

• Librarian
Re: First attempts: Mexican-American War
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2021, 04:36:33 PM »
Nice start of a very interesting and colourful period.
I went a bit back and forth but settled on the Eureka. Both ranges are rather old, but at least the Eureka figures has had new additions over the years. The age is naturally more visible on the 28mm 1st corps figures. I think the anatomy is a bit anachronistic.

18mm has a nice massed effect too. Some of the newer Mexican cavalry additions like the Cuirassiers and Hussars are top notch.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2021, 05:19:29 PM »
Definitely take up your wife's offer on painting the horses!
I would go with the 28mm personally but whatever floats your boat!
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2021, 05:46:08 PM »
I suggest a wash applied to your paint job will yield pleasing results. It improved my painting a lot. Mix 5 parts water with 1 part Pledge (or Future) clear floor wax and a drp of dish detergent. This breaks the surface tension of the water, allowing it to flow into cracks and crevices. Tak some of this fluid in a small dish or cup, add some drops of black ink until no longer clear. Apply this to your dry figures. The ink will seek crevices and create shading and outlines. If too much ink pools where you don't want it to, dab it with a piece of dry paper towel. When it is thoroughly dry, you may want to brighten up the figure with some highlights. I often hit the crossbelts with white again after the wash. Others report using brown inks and other colors. Black ink works for my purposes. Below are some of my recently 18mm Khurusan figures, hard work done by the wash.

Edit: try it with one figure first, see if you like it.
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline Redshank

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 02:05:45 PM »
Thanks all. I used Vallejo washes on all these figures (except the unfinished cavalry). A straight black wash came out too dark, while a grey wash looked faded (unsurprisingly). So I used blue, flesh, brown and grey washes as appropriate on the 28mm and a blue wash on the uniforms of the 18mm Americans. I haven't applied highlights yet.

I think I need to dilute the washes - the skin details in particular look too exaggerated.

TBH, the detail on the 28mm looks worse every time I see it. Could be time for an acetone bath...

My small brushes have already started to lose shape. Just ordered myself some hopefully higher quality brushes down to 000 size. Will see if that makes the difference.

The hands on the 1st Corps are weirdly big, and I find the headgear choices a tad annoying. e.g. they mix barracks caps and shakoes for the Mexican line infantry. I think this might be historically based (Osprey says Mexicans often wore barracks caps in the field), but the mix and match within a unit is not what I want aesthetically. However, the range is more nearly complete and 28mm has its own appeal. Getting fed up with myself - time to make a decision!

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2021, 02:59:56 PM »
My choice for brushes: Windsor & Newton Series 7 Kolinsky sable brushes. I find a single#1 brush does most work, with cheaper brushes for washes, dry brushing, etc. W&N very pricey, but hold a good point and last a long time. Mine last through hundreds of figures.

Offline Redshank

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2021, 03:22:09 PM »
Ah yes I have heard the W&N are very good. The aforementioned Mrs Redshank is a vegan however, so if I wish to continue benefiting from her services as horse painter, I need to go synthetic!

Online 2010sunburst

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2021, 04:46:09 PM »
Rosemary and Co have just brought out a line of synthetics that are supposed to be as good as sables.  Might be worth trying one or two Redshank.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2021, 12:16:31 AM »
Yeah brushes go very quickly when you start painting regularly.
Keep at it you will soon make good progress and find a painting style you like.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2021, 01:59:30 AM »
Good start to the collection. I've painted the 18 mm Eureka Mexican-American War range and they are lovely miniatures to work with.

If there is something missing in the range get an e-mail of to Nick @Eureka Miniatures to see if he can nudge Michael Broadbent to design some more miniatures for the range.
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2021, 08:32:28 AM »
With the horses, I find that a simple wash of GW Agrax earthshade, after you have painted everything including harness does it wonders. 

I usually use two colours for my horse flesh…..obviously darker first then just highlight the raised haunches and features such as knees, face, ears.

Offline Gribb

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2021, 03:31:37 PM »
The hands on the 1st Corps are weirdly big, and I find the headgear choices a tad annoying. e.g. they mix barracks caps and shakoes for the Mexican line infantry. I think this might be historically based (Osprey says Mexicans often wore barracks caps in the field), but the mix and match within a unit is not what I want aesthetically. However, the range is more nearly complete and 28mm has its own appeal. Getting fed up with myself - time to make a decision!

Agreed both on 1st corps anatomy and headgear choice. If they had been available with shako only that would somewhat improve the overall appearance. But having enquired with the owner that won't change so I opted for Eureka. Not something I regret as these are very nice for their scale.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 04:08:10 PM by Gribb »

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2021, 04:56:50 PM »
I use a wash and highlight process that's similar to vtsaogames.  It seems to put that nice finishing touch on my figs. 

In any event, though, nice job so far!   
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"