Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:14:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685047
  • Total Topics: 118007
  • Online Today: 740
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Perry Plastics for Franco Prussian War  (Read 5834 times)

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
Re: Perry Plastics for Franco Prussian War
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2021, 09:11:06 AM »
Incidentally, I could be wrong here but I don't know where the idea of some Bavarian infantry wearing caps "in the early days of the FPW" comes from. The Bavarians went to war exactly like Prussia and most of the other German states, ie wearing helmets, but also carrying their soft caps with them. These would be worn out of action or occasionally for a "packs down" charge, just like the Prussian infantry. The Bavarian cap was smarter than the Prussian version, having a peak and a chinstrap, but was just as much a softly constructed cloth garment that could be rolled or folded and shoved into the bread-bag.

I'm pretty sure I got this from a German contact (it certainly came as a surprise to me, too!).  Whilst I don't think that the 1870s raupenhelm was as clumsy/top heavy as the Napoleonic version, I could still see the cap being worn instead for a "rush" type of attack, so perhaps that is - as you suggest - where this comes from.  That said, I've not seen any illustrations showing this, so presumably any original source would be written.  I might go back and ask.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline tom_aargau

• Librarian
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2021, 08:50:18 AM »
There is an illustration that shows Bavarians wearing caps during the attack on Weissenburg on 4 August 1870.

https://www.leo-bw.de/web/guest/detail/-/Detail/details/DOKUMENT/labw_findmittel_06/labw-1-116273/Angriff+auf+die+Stadt+Weissenburg+durch+bayerische+und+preussische+Einheiten+am+4+August+1870+Franzosen+verlassen+ihre+u

And a second one with one guy wearing a cap during the battle of Wörth

« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 08:52:33 AM by tom_aargau »
There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today...turn two points to port.

Offline Curassier

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2021, 07:04:30 PM »
Is there anyone who can show a size comparison between the Perry figures and the eagles of Empire range ?
Thanks
JM

Offline Harry von Fleischmann

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2021, 09:20:31 PM »
Not me - but I did read in the latest Wargames Illustrated that the metal French will be Chasseurs a Pied….

Offline John Boadle

• Bookworm
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2021, 12:52:02 AM »
I received my packs of these figures yesterday and have been having a nice play about (I mean rigorously reviewing them). What you get in the box is actually 35 rank-and-file on seven sprues of five men, plus a command sprue of four figures, and either two or five identical prone casualties, so 39 or 41/44 figures in all. The only difference between the two boxes is the mix between the two sprues. One has five sprues of marching/ advancing and two skirmishing/ firing line sprues, the latter also having the casualty figure. The other pack just reverses the mix of the two sprues. You get four alternative heads for every single figure.

These sets were well worth the wait. Firstly I know this period well and can't fault the figures in terms of accuracy. Very high quality of sculpting. Nicely presented boxes, with good artwork. The information leaflet gives you enough clear guidance to paint up some units, even if there are one or two errors of detail. The stature of the figures is big and robust: abandon hope anyone who thought they might be able to combine them with the old Perry-sculpted Foundry range! The best feature of all is the well-chosen positions and high interchangeability of the arms. I can see easily how to make marching, attacking or firing line units, with no two figures the same.

By the way, you are right Mr Fleischmann, Michael has already sculpted metal French Chasseurs a Pied, so they could be out any day now.

Online FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2021, 10:17:14 PM »
I received my packs of these figures yesterday and have been having a nice play about (I mean rigorously reviewing them). What you get in the box is actually 35 rank-and-file on seven sprues of five men, plus a command sprue of four figures, and either two or five identical prone casualties, so 39 or 41/44 figures in all. The only difference between the two boxes is the mix between the two sprues. One has five sprues of marching/ advancing and two skirmishing/ firing line sprues, the latter also having the casualty figure. The other pack just reverses the mix of the two sprues. You get four alternative heads for every single figure.

These sets were well worth the wait. Firstly I know this period well and can't fault the figures in terms of accuracy. Very high quality of sculpting. Nicely presented boxes, with good artwork. The information leaflet gives you enough clear guidance to paint up some units, even if there are one or two errors of detail. The stature of the figures is big and robust: abandon hope anyone who thought they might be able to combine them with the old Perry-sculpted Foundry range! The best feature of all is the well-chosen positions and high interchangeability of the arms. I can see easily how to make marching, attacking or firing line units, with no two figures the same.

By the way, you are right Mr Fleischmann, Michael has already sculpted metal French Chasseurs a Pied, so they could be out any day now.

Glad to read that, looking forward to receiving my order and crack on with some painting after some happy building.
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Mark M Down

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2021, 04:15:20 PM »
The start of the Prussian army. All the figures are made using the Perry Plastics box set.

Online FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2021, 10:22:49 AM »
Cracking job, I really like the way you painted them!

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2021, 09:43:35 PM »
Not a period I've gamed, but those figs sure look nice!  Well done!
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Redshank

• Librarian
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2021, 05:18:09 AM »
Wondering if these guys could serve as Pickelhaube-wearing Chilean or Peruvian units from the War of the Pacific (1879-84). The Chilean Escuela Militar seems to have had a pretty similar eagle (or probably condor) design for the brass front section, although admittedly the regular infantry pickelhaube was quite different (a horse and an eagle/condor flanking a Chilean star). Struggling to find a good image of a Peruvian infantry pickelhaube, although I'm only dabbling so far.

Anyway, I could probably live with it for the sake of using these excellent minis.

Online vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2021, 05:18:34 PM »
My my, they are nice. Wonder when the plastic French arrive?
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Online FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2021, 01:54:43 PM »
Wondering if these guys could serve as Pickelhaube-wearing Chilean or Peruvian units from the War of the Pacific (1879-84). The Chilean Escuela Militar seems to have had a pretty similar eagle (or probably condor) design for the brass front section, although admittedly the regular infantry pickelhaube was quite different (a horse and an eagle/condor flanking a Chilean star). Struggling to find a good image of a Peruvian infantry pickelhaube, although I'm only dabbling so far.

Anyway, I could probably live with it for the sake of using these excellent minis.

Found this on a quick Google-search. The other factions look more 'kit-bashable' out of the french however as they go for kepis. Looks to be from the Osprey book "Armies of the War of the Pacific 1879-1883" by Gabriele Esposito and illustrated by Giuseppe Rava.

Also, the Perry figures come with a rolled mantle across their shoulder, with one piece needing to be glued onto the back whereas the front bit is already attached. Which might make it a fuss to scrape it off and such.

Anyway, intermission over.