Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:07:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Making Terrain - Foam and Silicone Moulds - Question  (Read 853 times)

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
Making Terrain - Foam and Silicone Moulds - Question
« on: July 04, 2021, 08:17:13 PM »
I was wondering whether expanding foam can be used with rubber moulds for rocks.  I have some Noch model railroad rock moulds and thought expanding foam may work in them.  The advantages of foam is it will not chip like plaster of Paris and would be easier to cut.
Has anyone done this?
Would I need a releasing medium?

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Re: Making Terrain - Foam and Silicone Moulds - Question
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2021, 09:15:42 PM »
My suspicion is that the expanding foam wouldn't conform to the mould very well without some way of pressuring it into the mould. That said, I haven't actually tried it.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline katie

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2021, 11:29:11 PM »
Magister Militum used to cast buildings in expanding foam. This was great because they were light and cheap.

They now do them in normal resin -- I asked why and they said the expanding foam was really hard on the moulds. So that might be a thing to be careful of.

Offline Dolnikan

• Librarian
    • Dolnikan Games
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 11:47:33 AM »
For casting in a material like expanding foam, a more solid mould might be more suitable. Perhaps something like plaster or even harder. That way, the foam doesn't push the mould out of the way and instead is forced to conform to the mould.

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 12:17:41 PM »
 Fantasy Forge used to use a foam type material in thier buildings.Held detail really well and very light.They then moved to resin for them.

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2021, 12:43:55 AM »
With any sort of flexible mold + expanding material, you need a rigid outer jacket mold to keep it from radically distorting the flex mold. In the past (casting heads in expansion foam for a Grand Guinol theatre experience (IE, blood 'n' gore) we would fill the flex mold with plaster or something else rigid, then pour a solid jacket mold in plaster.

For a rock-face, which I presume is a one-sided mold and open to the 'back', you'll need a rigid support for the front and then some hard back for it to expand against. For cheap and easy, cover one face of a piece of cardstock with clear plastic packing tape. The foam shouldn't stick much to that. Use more tape to hold it against the combined flex mold/jacket mold piece.

Take care not to let the expansion foam contact the plaster jacket mold - they'll bond irretrievably, and you'll have to rip the foam or chip away parts of the jacket.
from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."