Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:07:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686612
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 757
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Choosing The Fantasy Project - 28mm v 20mm  (Read 8167 times)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Re: Choosing The Fantasy Project - 28mm v 20mm
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2021, 03:24:37 AM »
Hey M.P.
a photo for size comparison with 1/72 minis would be nice!

thanks

I second this! Especially the first three the dark young, mi-gos, and eldritch demon.

Offline Albus Malum

• Schoolboy
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2021, 03:55:26 AM »
A number of years ago I went though a similar thing, What scale for fantasy!   I live in a small town andI probably I can’t find player’s other than my children.   Your analyses  and may of the suggestions is all good.  But what I went with is 15mm, mostly because of how much I liked Demonworld miniatures.  In 15mm I think there is problably a lot more options to choose from miniature then 20mm.  For me, when looking at 20mm ( not sure exactly what 20mm is, other than 1:72) there wasn’t quite enough options.
I:72 has a lot to like though,  as to me, its kind of a sweet spot as far as sizes go.  Not so big, that it takes to much room on the table, but not so small that you cant see it.  The foot print of 1:72 is not that much bigger, then 15mm depending on how you base things,  ( I single base my 15mm on primarily 5?8” washers, with things like goblins on smaller and some bigger monsters on bigger washers.)
1:72 is probably the cheapest route you could go, probably even cheaper than 15mm. Also,  since much of 1”72 is made of harder plastics, if other people are using your painted armies,  likely less damage will be done to your miniatures by carelessness of others. 15mm has lots of bendy metal pikes and spears and such.
If I were able to wave a magic wand and make all of my miniatures,  and everyone elses fantasy miniatures into one size, and eliminate all other sizes or scale for any other fantasy  wargaming, roleplaying purpose, I would make them 1:72  just for the usefulness of the size, not to big, not to small,  cant paint detail,  but could also ignore some detail when painting at arms length nobody would notice.   However , the limitations of what is available currently and likely to become available put me off from this size,  and may be a reason for you to consider not using it.  If you get into resin printing, 1:72 would probably be a great scale to 3d print for, as you could scale things designed for 10mm (which 3d designers are starting to design for as warmaster miniatures) and you could also scale  down 28mm miniatures and they would work without much worry, and be much cheaper to print for at the same time.  The visual appeal that 1:72 can present is amazing, you can see more on them, but they are not so big and space hogs as 28mm, and faster to paint also,  small enough you can make large mass armies, but not so small you cant see them! 

But… since few people have the 20mm/1:72 as armies,  ( and the same thing going with the 15mm armies) if cost and painting time isn’t an issue, I would recommend you go with 28mm just because of the amount of 28mm stuff that exists. Its generally more expensive but the sky is the limit, and if you want other people to show up with their own stuff someday,  28mm is what most people will likely “show up with”
Now with 3d printing… and if you don’t have one already, someday you are likely to… any of the scales are viable
Oh and just so you know… there is a lot of 15mm stuff that is actually 18mm, and I personally like the           18mm stuff more than the 15mm stuff, just because there is better detail on most of it, and I can even dot the eyes and I can see the dotted eyes, if I hold it 16” from my nose.
I like my 15mm but like everything, there is no perfect answer, and my likes may differ from yours, or the the people you play with.

Oh and I am to heavily invested in 15mm time and money wise to want to change, but like I said, if I had a magic wand and I could transform everything,  from all scales into 1 it would be the 1:72. ( which I still can't figure out why people call it 20mm as they also call lot of 25mm stuff as 1:72, which makes a 6’ man to be a 1 inch tall miniature, but maybe 25mm is to the eyes,  and then the whole scale creep thing begins all over again.

Ideally 1:72  practically 28mm  and what I have, which I like a lot- 15 (18mm for most).

One thing to remember though.. If you buy it, and you paint it...  which ones do YOU like the MOST.  Let them play with what you provide, and provide what YOU like!

One more thing. Consider single basing and movement trays, so you can get the most out of your miniatures, by doing such, you can use them for any game system, including RPGs.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 04:01:51 AM by Albus Malum »

Offline RSDean

• Librarian
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2021, 11:55:59 AM »
I would generally agree with Albus’s comment. I would add, though, that it would make sense to have some idea of how big you want your project to be (based on things like table size, type of game you want to play, amount of flexibility within armies/warbands, and number of different forces you’re wanting to create). 

While there is certainly a vast array of 28s out there, it may be that you find that your project is within the range of things you could handle in 1/72.  It doesn’t much matter whether you fill a cup from your canteen or from Lake Superior, if you just need the cup…

Offline Clach Umha

• Librarian
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2021, 01:28:05 AM »
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 03:45:51 AM by Clach Umha »
Getting excited & making jokes about dropping Nepalm on little Asian Children in a Viet' village doesn't make it ok just because 'it's wargaming & not real'. You wanker scum need to look again at the real photographic horror of such chemical weapons. Seriously Disgusting mind set amongst some you.

Offline M.P.

• Mad Scientist
    • Barbaric Frontier
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2021, 10:48:51 AM »
I second this! Especially the first three the dark young, mi-gos, and eldritch demon.

I'll take some pics today :).
My roleplaying/wargaming blog: barbaricfrontier.blogspot.com

Offline M.P.

• Mad Scientist
    • Barbaric Frontier
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2021, 11:28:55 PM »
Sorry for low quality of the pics.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 11:32:26 PM by M.P. »

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2021, 04:55:23 AM »
This works for me! Thank you!
Is that 1/72 fingered from the Musketeers Redbox line?

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2021, 05:18:44 AM »
Oh, what is the starfish worm thing in the third photo?

Offline M.P.

• Mad Scientist
    • Barbaric Frontier
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2021, 07:13:06 AM »
This works for me! Thank you!
Is that 1/72 fingered from the Musketeers Redbox line?

On the first picture yes - on the others a converted swedish musketeer from Mars.

Oh, what is the starfish worm thing in the third photo?

It's Chthon.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2021, 06:30:29 PM »
I know Dark Alliance has that Mounted Modern Amazon set, but are there other good fantasy mounts for 1:72? maybe something from the Reaper line? I'm thinking like griffons/hippogriffs, dragons, wyverns, etc

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2021, 07:14:54 PM »
I'd look at Ral Partha stuff (new or second hand; their griffons and whatnot are quite slender and should fit 1/72 riders). Also, have a look at the Wizzkids/Nolzur's range - those beasties are quite delicate and work better in 1/72 than normal 28mm, I think. You might well find something there that does the job. Also, the Wizzkids orcs make great ogres in 1/72; the proportions match really well.

One more thing: you were talking about the Dark Alliance nomads. But have you looked at the HaT El Cid range for similar figures in 1/72? I picked some up the other day, and they're great. Individually, they're perhaps not quite as nice as the Dark Alliance ones, but they're still pretty good. And they have a lot of advantages too. There are more poses. They're a lot cheaper (more so in the US, perhaps, as that's where they come from). And they're probably better for putting together a DR army. Also, they're almost entirely flash/mouldline free (best I've seen in 1/72), and the HaT plastic is really good: it takes superglue really well, for one thing.

I got a box of 96 infantry for under a tenner, and that would give you light missiles, heavy missiles (if you don't mind four archers making numbers in up your crossbow unit), scouts (slingers), heavy foot and light foot - and some elite foot too. I also got the Moorish cavalry sampler for six quid - which yields complete units of heavy riders and light riders, plus some spares.

There are also the Almoravid infantry and Spanish infantry boxes, plus various 12-strong cavalry boxes and command sets for each. The Spanish infantry strike me as great 'generic fantasy' soldiers.

Although the DA nomads are brilliant figures, there can be a fair bit more hassle cleaning them up and basing them. I've painted one base of mine, but I've already got several bases of the HaT ones underway, and it's a much smoother experience.

Offline M.P.

• Mad Scientist
    • Barbaric Frontier
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2021, 08:19:46 PM »
I know Dark Alliance has that Mounted Modern Amazon set, but are there other good fantasy mounts for 1:72? maybe something from the Reaper line? I'm thinking like griffons/hippogriffs, dragons, wyverns, etc

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2021, 08:28:30 PM »
Thanks again for coming with the knowledge, @hobgoblin.

@M.P. that's a Reaper griffon on the right in the top photo? Wow, it, the chimera, and that wyvern look perfect!

Offline 102-year-old-man

• Bookworm
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2021, 07:39:04 AM »

Some more stuff, that works good in 1/72 scale (=20mm):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/153588246903 (those guys are 1/72)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/154080051913 (same)
https://www.alternative-armies.com/products/hot28-manticore (works as mount for 1/72)
http://www.ralparthaeurope.co.uk/shop/ral-partha-fantasy-c-37/heroes-and-horrors-c-37_38/01041-wraiths-3-p-3415.html (25mm scale wraiths fit good enough into 1/72 scale)
https://www.reapermini.com/miniatures/minotaur/latest/77680 (Reaper Bones Minitaurs)
https://www.alternative-armies.com/products/552-savage-ape (could be altered easily into more evil looking creatures)

Offline M.P.

• Mad Scientist
    • Barbaric Frontier
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2021, 12:05:36 PM »
Thanks again for coming with the knowledge, @hobgoblin.

@M.P. that's a Reaper griffon on the right in the top photo? Wow, it, the chimera, and that wyvern look perfect!

Yes it is :).