Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:15:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686594
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Medieval Welsh  (Read 2162 times)

Offline faethor1204

• Schoolboy
Medieval Welsh
« on: July 05, 2021, 08:40:49 PM »
Hi all just getting back into warming after a long hiatus and have been reading about the hundred years principally the early phase so I have a few questions and thought I would ask my learned colleagues ; can I use plastic dark age warriors from gripping beast or dark age Irish to represent the Welsh in the hundred years war . Can you suggest a range of figures for the early hundred years war i have seen Perry range for agincourt but there are i believe too late for the early period ?any help would be appreciated .

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Re: Medieval Welsh
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 09:21:21 PM »
... can I use plastic dark age warriors from gripping beast or dark age Irish to represent the Welsh in the hundred years war?
Well you can but...
... fortunately Claymore Castings has an early 100YW range for both the English and the French although none of the figures are specifically "Welsh" (link). However, Antediluvian Miniatures had a range for the first Scottish War for Independence (link). I think the War of The Bruces archer pack would be passable and possibly also highland bows.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 09:33:20 PM »
I would say no re: the plastics you have in mind.

They are wearing clothing and armour that considerably predates the 116 year period we call the HYW.

The average Welsh soldier would not have looked very different from the English, or indeed the French.

The poor Welsh seem to have fallen into the same mythos as the Scots of the period  lol Basically, the common soldiers from most of the areas involved, with the exception of some troops in Spain would have all looked very similar.

The idea that these soldiers would have somehow looked different from one another is simply a myth.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 05:50:42 AM »
Don’t know much on the Welsh but these are my favourites:

https://claymorecastings.co.uk/new.claymorecastings.co.uk/product-category/figures/

Paint up very well, an example

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2021, 07:13:29 AM »
Just paint some coal on the bases and add a few leeks, look you.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2021, 10:54:49 AM »
If you ignore the Liveries on some of these troops they could just as easily be Welsh or English

(From my own collection)

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2021, 11:23:45 AM »
I'm lucky enough to own these chaps which I think are correct for the period - although the sculpt is obviously old, I bought them 30 years ago, most of them are Essex or Dixon I think(?) ...and I painted them with Humbrol then. And they've seen many a fight in their first years.

Sometimes I think I should re-paint them but ...I've many other things to paint, I find more practical to let them as this, now I only use them as reinforcements when needed in a scenario.

Offline henryv

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2021, 08:23:13 PM »
I think you can use the Perry boxes, the French Infantry set is ideal used with Fireforge heads gives you the early HYW knight's. Archers can be made to look from just about any period.

Couple of pictures from the work bench attached.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2021, 07:24:49 AM »
I think you can use the Perry boxes, the French Infantry set is ideal used with Fireforge heads gives you the early HYW knight's.

I'm sorry to that that despite your very nice conversions, in the early parts of the HYW, full plate harness did not exist.

Offline faethor1204

• Schoolboy
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2021, 04:58:44 PM »
Hi thanks all for the information i will definitely look at claymore castings  and antedevuluim miniatures lines

Offline henryv

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2021, 06:22:44 PM »
I'm sorry to that that despite your very nice conversions, in the early parts of the HYW, full plate harness did not exist.

I've used Osprey as reference, left to right when finished, William de  Bohun, Henry Plantagenet, Thomas Holland, John Chandos.

There not full plate if your careful what you choose. I guess it depends how much you wish to take historical accuracy, against the trade off for what is freely available, I enjoy the conversions, great fun.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2021, 07:02:58 PM »
I've used Osprey as reference, left to right when finished, William de  Bohun, Henry Plantagenet, Thomas Holland, John Chandos.

There not full plate if your careful what you choose. I guess it depends how much you wish to take historical accuracy, against the trade off for what is freely available, I enjoy the conversions, great fun.

I did say your conversions were great.

All I can add is that since 1981, when that particular Osprey was written, we have a much deeper understanding of the development of armours during the time period that the HYW took place; this is something that Matthew has captured brilliantly in David's Claymore range. I know that David and Matthew has gone to considerable lengths to get their armours right for the Crecy to Poitiers period. :)

Offline henryv

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2021, 08:03:18 PM »
I did say your conversions were great.

All I can add is that since 1981, when that particular Osprey was written, we have a much deeper understanding of the development of armours during the time period that the HYW took place; this is something that Matthew has captured brilliantly in David's Claymore range. I know that David and Matthew has gone to considerable lengths to get their armours right for the Crecy to Poitiers period. :)

Grateful my friend, the Claymore range is first class I must agree. Saying that I do enjoy a good tinker with plastics, the Perry site does have some note's about conversions for knights back to 1390's, I think you can push that back to the start of the campaign of Edward with Fireforge, even Frostgrave additions.

Anyway I digress, from Welsh.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 08:09:23 PM by henryv »