Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:43:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: How to choose a top quality brush  (Read 2422 times)

Offline Curryman

• Librarian
    • The Screaming Alpha
How to choose a top quality brush
« on: September 13, 2009, 05:03:43 AM »
In the course of discussion of my recent W&N Series 7 brush review I was referred to a most useful article on what to look for in a quality brush. Originally written by professional artist Mike Crowell, he was kind enough to give me permission to reprint it for the edification of the miniatures painting community. It's a bit of a lengthy read, but offers a lot of useful information that was new to me. I think it's worth a look if you really want to get the straight word on fine brushes.

http://thescreamingalpha.com/2009/09/11/brush-shoot-out/
Check out The Screaming Alpha http://thescreamingalpha.com for the best in miniature and RPG reviews, guaranteed! [Not a guarantee]

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: How to choose a top quality brush
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 10:38:42 AM »
I got a set of 000-2 brushes, doubling the #'s 000-0 with short brush. I have to say this may be the best advice I've had on this forum.
Well, perhaps second to that advice from someone (Thunderchicken?) that there are better hand lotions than super glue.

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 10:49:40 AM »
Nah, I don't go for the most expensive brushes. I found Em4 Kolinsky brushes are of high quality enough for me, and at a decent price too. And if the brush suffers in use, it's doesn't feel too bad when you know it didn't cost too much.  lol

Personally I think you can sometimes take things a bit too "hifi", but I am not a top painter like some people here, but I do alright. But you pays your money and makes your choices, or how does the saying go?

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 01:24:14 PM »
Nah, I don't go for the most expensive brushes. I found Em4 Kolinsky brushes are of high quality enough for me, and at a decent price too. And if the brush suffers in use, it's doesn't feel too bad when you know it didn't cost too much.  lol

Personally I think you can sometimes take things a bit too "hifi", but I am not a top painter like some people here, but I do alright. But you pays your money and makes your choices, or how does the saying go?

I submit to the same philosophy as you, that's why I stress this was a worthwhile investment. Your paint brush is probably the most important tool you have. I notice a difference. THere might be substitutes but these really worked for me.

Offline Curryman

• Librarian
    • The Screaming Alpha
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 05:27:11 PM »

Ultimately, minis painting is art rather than science and you should use whatever tools you're most comfortable with. I will say though that good brushes like the W&N S7 are not really that expensive, especially considering their servcie lifetimes. I don;t know where you live, but here in the US one can get them through art supply catalogs like Dick Blick for around $7 each, which is not a ton  more than you'd pay in the shops for a hobby company brush. I hope you'll give quality brushes a try at some point, because I think you'd be surprised by how much they help your painting regardless of your skill level.

@Hammers I'm pleased the article proved so useful to you. It sure taught me a lot.

Offline Greystreak

• Librarian
  • Old Age + Guile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 06:14:54 PM »
Most of the time, I'm a great believer in "you get what you pay for", and it's usually true with brushes.  I will always save my W&N Series 7M brushes for the 'final' details, but for applying most paint layers, those based in the UK and Europe may find the following vendor's brushes to be excellent value:  http://www.rosemaryandco.com/default.htm.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 06:16:33 PM by Greystreak »