Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:14:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686620
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Poll

Which is you favorit Difficult Terrain in this group?

DrMathias "Broken Stairs"
37 (42%)
Daeothar's "Collapsed Overpass"
51 (58%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Voting closed: July 13, 2021, 08:10:43 PM

Author Topic: Round 2, DrMathias "Broken Stairs" vs Daeothar's "Collapsed Overpass"  (Read 3046 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
DrMathias "Broken Stairs"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Daeothar's "Collapsed Overpass"

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
A really tough choice, both top quality builds, but very different interpretations of the theme...I love them both  8)

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
Very tough choice, both amazing works of engineering and both very evocative.  I love the new photos that showcase the details!  And both look to be fantastic gaming pieces, too.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
This is just as hard a choice as the other heat. I'm getting dizzy trying to choose.

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
This is getting even more difficult with the new photos.  Great job both.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Wow! The level of entries this year is astounding.....and not just the finalists! 8)

Brilliant stuff gents!

Dr Mathias-those stairs are great. Good colour and details! To me, that would make a great game to take to conventions(just make sure to have something soft for your minis to land on, when the get knocked off by unwieldly players!)

Daeothar- wow! Thats more like it. Your photo in the last round did you no justice! It now looks like the real motorway I thought it would when you were building it! Amazing details!

Online OSHIROmodels

• Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Top job on both  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Superb craftsmanship on display,tough decision on the voting :)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
As Andym said, Dr Mathias’ is the sort of game I’d love to play at a Wargames show.

And Daeothar...those shots of the underpass with the backdrop and the smoke are magazine front cover quality  :-* :-* :-*
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 09:40:32 AM by AKULA »

Offline modelwarrior

• Scientist
    • themodelwarrior
Some superb work on display guys. The broken stairs just makes me want get a torch and look in every hole,some fantastic detail. And the overpass looks huge. Im trying to decide where the dio/terrain ends in the overpass and where the backdrop starts ?

Offline 2010sunburst

• Scientist
Re: Round 2, DrMathias "Broken Stairs" vs Daeothar's "Collapsed Overpass"
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2021, 10:38:32 AM »
Excellent work both.  A difficult choice, but I though one was more replayable than the other so went with that.   

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2021, 10:53:26 AM »
Thank you very much gents :)

To be honest, to realize I'm up against the illustrious Dr. Matthias this round certainly caused some trepidation on my part. I mean; he's practially Mr. BSC, with all the wins he's pulled off! :D

Seriously Dr.; I love your work on those stairs. Much like my own entry, it's very much aimed at a very specific gaming system, although yours might be a bit more universal, on account of mine being in 20mm.

I love the way you highlighted the actual stairs, with the blocks around it being slightly darker. It really emphasises the route to be taken. Are the darker jutting blocks also playable?
The details too are great (yeah; I'm all about the details these days ;) ), and really make the piece come to life. I'd love to play a game on that; it's sure to be very different and interesting.

@ Andy; yes, the first pictures were taken in a hurry, with my phone, and then compiled into my entry picture within 30 minutes, since my initial entry picture was breaking/bending the rules too much for comfort and I was skirting the deadline at that point. This is the result I was going for though, but there are so much more details to show... ::)

@ modelwarrior: it's not all that huge, but the fact that the pieces are sitting on the table I designed them for, makes them look quite massive in out of focus shots, yes. The entire things consists of two bases, each 60cm long, and approximately 15cm wide, with the actual overpass being about 25cm wide at its very end. And the car (playable miniature) in the pictures is a humble Matchbox toy car because, as mentioned, this piece is in 20mm (the first I ever did in this scale), to be used in games of Gaslands.

By the way; I find this waiting for the voting to conclude rather nail biting...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline pistolpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Rent money is for rent - telly savalas
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2021, 11:38:13 AM »
Ouch those are two tough choices. Pity i can only do 1.  This will take some time for me to decide.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2021, 06:04:28 PM »
Thanks all :)
I hadn't planned on getting to Round 2 to be honest, I'm looking forward to showing this on other venues  lol

Dr Mathias-those stairs are great. Good colour and details! To me, that would make a great game to take to conventions(just make sure to have something soft for your minis to land on, when the get knocked off by unwieldly players!)
You read my mind on both counts... hoping to get this to a convention for sure, and yes I'd planned for a soft landing  lol

I love the way you highlighted the actual stairs, with the blocks around it being slightly darker. It really emphasises the route to be taken. Are the darker jutting blocks also playable?
The details too are great (yeah; I'm all about the details these days ;) ), and really make the piece come to life. I'd love to play a game on that; it's sure to be very different and interesting.

Thanks! Lighter stairs to show the best 'path' was the intent, without making them seem too different. The darker areas are playable, past the first fly hole anyway. At that point players could potentially start going off path to close the holes, and might fall further down as a result of combat or trying two move actions. Plus the giant flies need a place to land as they go up to get the players ;)

Really sweet build Daeothar, until these pics I hadn't realized it was 20mm  :-*
Makes it even more impressive really!
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2021, 08:46:58 PM »
Yikes! Both deserve to win.  :o

Matt, you're welcome to bring that to any convention - it would be a show-stopper, for sure. Daeother - your build goes up to Hollywood levels. Amazing!  :-*

Mike Demana
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/