Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:16:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691075
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Napoleonic french infantry regimental markings  (Read 1701 times)

Offline ColonelMutumbu

• Bookworm
Napoleonic french infantry regimental markings
« on: July 12, 2021, 02:34:00 AM »
Anyone have an online reference for regimental colours for Infantry in the later half of the period 1806-onward for example? I have seen so many references which refer to regimental colours on infantry uniforms like lapels and cuffs but none that actually have examples or lists of the colours.

thanks in advance

lead count 2022: bought 227 painted :227
score: 0

Offline Unlucky General

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
Re: Napoleonic french infantry regimental markings
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 08:30:30 AM »
I'm not particularly experienced in French Infantry of the Napoleonic wars but I'm lead to believe there were no regimental distinctions beyond button numbers, shako plate numbers and that on the eagle.

This is in contrast to uniform practices amongst the cavalry which are more like the British manner of different regimental distinctions in Infantry and Cavalry (not artillery).

Other French styled battalions of Italian origin (for example) are likely different again.

If I'm right, it's likely down to the fact that the French army was raised by the state and paid for by the Empire (by your period).

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2021, 09:32:22 AM »
What unlucky general said. There were no colour distinctions for infantry regiments other than line and légère. Guard regiments had uniform differences but again no colour distinctions. Cavalry did.

Take a look at this text excellent page for Waterloo: http://centjours.mont-saint-jean.com/

Uniform cuts and had gear changed in the french army during the napoleonic era, basic uniform colours didn’t after the switch from (monarchic) white to (revolutionary) blue / Tricolore.

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2021, 10:39:38 AM »
As has been said, the French infantry, both Line and Light had basically standard colourings for all regiments (apart from a brief period around 1807 when some regiments were issued with white uniforms and coloured facings).  HOWEVER, the fine details of cuff design did often change from regiment to regiment, as did the colourings of elite company distinctions (epaulettes, plumes, cords and sword-knots), while drummers' and sappers' livery could vary wildly from regiment to regiment.

A lot of these simply aren't known, but the Osprey Men-At-Arms books on Line and Light Infantry do have fairly comprehensive lists of the known variations.
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline ColonelMutumbu

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2021, 12:42:18 AM »
Thanks all. I'll check the osprey again. I only skimmed through so must have missed the mentions to the cuffs or was looking for the wrong key words.

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2021, 04:00:26 AM »
Thanks all. I'll check the osprey again. I only skimmed through so must have missed the mentions to the cuffs or was looking for the wrong key words.
Sorry I'm in work, or I'd give you the page numbers, but there are lists of a lot of the known details broken down by period (iirc, 1805-1808, 1808-1812, 1812-1814 & 1815), regiment and type (e.g. elite company distinctions, drummers, sapeurs and officers).  It only scratches the surface though, as so many are simply not known.  A lot of the 1807 details are taken from the 'Otto Manuscript', which is a collection of paintings painted from life and collected in a book by Guy Dempsey called 'Napoleon's Soldiers'.

There are so many unknowns that you simply have to make it up for many regiments! :)

One interesting feature of the Otto Manuscript is that a lot of regiments were using the briefly-issued white uniforms as livery for drummers and sapeurs.  My own army is mostly 'dressed' for 1807-1809, so where I can't find any specific information I use the white uniform for drummers and sapeurs in those regiments known to have been issued with the white uniform.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 04:05:58 AM by Jemima Fawr »

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2021, 11:13:56 PM »
There are a few glaring exceptions to the norm but you only come across these when you find them in an OOB and google them. An example would be the Paris Municipal Guard units that fought in Spain - they wear white with red or green facings (with elite coy distinctions).

As GF says, except for the differences between ligne and leger, and minor distinctions to plumes and fringed epaulettes (especially with voltiguers coys and legere), most uniforms were broadly similar.

Some regiments also had different head gear for elite companies, with some grenadier coys wearing bearskins and voltiguers coys wearing colpacks.

GF's suggestion to get the two Ospreys is a good one. They are generally my first port of call when buying and painting for new French units.

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2021, 12:03:13 AM »
There were difference in the uniform to be found in the arrangements of plumes and fringed epaulettes up to 1809. Also drummer and band members often wore different colours because they were often financed by the chef de battalion. Some regiments persisted in keeping these distinctions up to 1812 against regulations.

There are also some French regiments that were amalgamated from different nations that had distinctive uniforms such as the 125th which wore white uniforms with battalion facings of pink or yellow. I don't know if there is any one repository of information to find this detail because it's been a long time since I painted earlier French troops. But I once did an entire generic corps and I included a few of the regiment just based on their uniform distinctions. (ie: The 9th Legere's drummers wore yellow coats with red facings and looked really distinctive.)
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/