Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:10:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Review: Stargrave - Osprey Games  (Read 3622 times)

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
Review: Stargrave - Osprey Games
« on: July 12, 2021, 03:16:13 PM »

I got my copy of Stargrave in the mailbox the other day.  It took a bit longer as I insist on getting hard copy books rather than PDFs.  Why?  I do not know?  It is a personal preference.  However, sometimes that slows down my reviews as I wait for a dead plant version to show up at my location. 

Anyway, this game is the highly anticipated Science Fiction skirmish game by the prolific wargame designer Joseph McCullough.  Many people have been looking for the "Next big thing" in sci-fi skirmish gaming and the buzz was that this was it!  Obviously, it is a variation of the popular Frostgrave line, only this time set... IN..... SPACE! 

The game is set in the Ravaged Galaxy.  The great galactic civilizations have been brought low after the carnage of the Last War.  Where once civilization flourished, now it was nothing but decay and ruin.  Planets were left to fend for themselves, as were the people on them.  To make matters worse, after the Last War; pirate fleets sprung up to replace the nation-states.  These pirate fleets roam the Ravaged Galaxy smashing anything that could be a threat to them and looting, pillaging, and destroying as they go.  Now, the Galaxy is more like a huge version of Tortuga from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

You represent a small starship and their crew trying to make their way in this tough galaxy.  You can put any backstory you want to it, but you are essentially Mal and the crew from Firefly/Serenity.  The crew is trying to get by and keep on flying.  This is accomplished by hiring yourself out for various small time jobs like smuggling, raiding, trading, etc.  You know, the dirty work.  By staying small time and in the shadows, they avoid the Pirate Fleets.   

Honestly, I do not know how much I will really have to say in this review that you can not understand from my Frostgrave and Ghost Archipelago reviews.  These are practically the same game systems with only a few minor variations.  However, there is some genre gloss to bring it into the new setting.  Therefore, I think this review will be a bit different than some of my others as I focus on what makes this game different from the others.

You can read the rest of the review at my blog: https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2021/07/review-stargrave-osprey-games.html
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
Re: Review: Stargrave - Osprey Games
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 03:48:32 PM »
While I'd agree that the core book feels very much like a "least effort required" rule set, I disagree with the contention that either Frostgrave or Ghost Archipelago were any better about establishing a compelling setting right out of the gate.  They got better about establishing their backgrounds with their (many) supplements, but initially were no more (and no less) generic than Stargrave.  And in all three games, a lot of that limited "here's what the setting is like" info is hiding in the monster listings in the back of the books, where it's rather easy to overlook.

Quarantine 37 is due soon and will very clearly include the same kind of expanded setting fluff and new scenarios that (say) Into the Breeding Pits did, and just like Pits it's probably just the tip of teh iceberg for Stargrave supplements.  Even the freebie solo Dead or Alive pack does a little worldbuilding with the brief histories of the various Marks, and the settings can be inspirational for regular head-to-head games as well.  I haven't tried it yet but I suspect you could mod the DoA rules to do two-player as well as solo, which would further expand the game type variety.

My most serious critique of Stargrave (and really all of McCullogh's games aside from Oathmark) is that McCullough keeps using the same mechanics (admittedly with minor incremental improvements) and it's time to stop re-selling them over and over again.  Past time, even.  I've now bought virtually identical blocks of pages for the basic mechanics four times now, and I'm not doing it again no matter what he comes out with.  Put out a separate (and short, and cheap) booklet (or free printer friendly pdf) with the core rules already.  Then release setting/genre books that modify them as needed and focus on scenarios and campaign play material for Felstad or the Isles or Shadow Deep or the Shattered Galaxy or whatever comes next.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2021, 07:45:36 PM »
Frostgrave used little blurbs outside the text to give you a feel of a setting filled with weirdness and magic. 

I will try to find some examples, but they were basically little blue boxes of in universe text that was basically, "This one time I was in Felstad, and this strange thing happened!" 

Those went a LONG way (along with the miniatures and photography) to convey the sense of the place.  Stargrave did not deliver on that.  I guess generic space opera is harder than it looks.   

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2021, 08:20:37 PM »
Frostgrave used little blurbs outside the text to give you a feel of a setting filled with weirdness and magic. 

I will try to find some examples, but they were basically little blue boxes of in universe text that was basically, "This one time I was in Felstad, and this strange thing happened!" 

Those went a LONG way (along with the miniatures and photography) to convey the sense of the place.  Stargrave did not deliver on that.  I guess generic space opera is harder than it looks.

Like the Zona Alfa book(s) does so well :-*
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline AdmiralAndy

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2021, 05:11:42 PM »
My most serious critique of Stargrave (and really all of McCullogh's games aside from Oathmark) is that McCullough keeps using the same mechanics (admittedly with minor incremental improvements) and it's time to stop re-selling them over and over again.  Past time, even.  I've now bought virtually identical blocks of pages for the basic mechanics four times now, and I'm not doing it again no matter what he comes out with.  Put out a separate (and short, and cheap) booklet (or free printer friendly pdf) with the core rules already.  Then release setting/genre books that modify them as needed and focus on scenarios and campaign play material for Felstad or the Isles or Shadow Deep or the Shattered Galaxy or whatever comes next.

Whilst it maybe not your preferred approach for a game designer, given the reiteration in successful game ranges range like Lion Rampant and its children (I like those rulesets btw), and the 30+ years 9 editions of 40k, I think its a little unfair to say its a criticism although can appreciatte you'd like to see a new variant ruleset from a game devloper whose range you've otherwise enjoyed. But rinse and repeat with a proven mechanic in a crowded gaming plethera of rules is hardly a singular idea.

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2021, 05:45:48 PM »
Whilst it maybe not your preferred approach for a game designer, given the reiteration in successful game ranges range like Lion Rampant and its children (I like those rulesets btw), and the 30+ years 9 editions of 40k, I think its a little unfair to say its a criticism although can appreciatte you'd like to see a new variant ruleset from a game devloper whose range you've otherwise enjoyed. But rinse and repeat with a proven mechanic in a crowded gaming plethera of rules is hardly a singular idea.

The Rampant games (which I'm also a fan of) are very cheap, which offsets a lot of my complaint with buying the same core text over and over again.  Even so, I'd be even happier if the games had a single "core mechanics" book (or pamphlet - or free online pdf we could print ourselves) and did the different periods/setting/genre rules as separate books with whatever tweaks are called for to the core rules and the space saved used for more scenarios, extra setting-specific chrome, and perhaps a simple campaign system or somesuch.  Of course, the Rampant books are already very short and peeling out the core rules might make them too small to profitably publish - but that's not the case with the McCullough games, which are pretty beefy and could have their, what, maybe twenty pages of core mechanics ripped out to lower the price without dipping below that threshold.

As for 40K, I'd contend that the core game mechanics have changed pretty radically over the years, particularly from 2nd to 3rd, 5th to 6th, and 7th to 8th, although that doesn't make me like the endless rulebook churn any better.  They've really transitioned to selling an unending stream of updated army books more than making their money on the core game anyway, something that's become increasingly true since 6th or 7th - and to a large degree those army books are reprinting the same fluff sections that were written decades ago.  I'd almost call GW the epitome of the "make you buy the same thing many times over" problem I object to, although that's only true if one plays along by "keeping current" with their games year after year.

Offline AdmiralAndy

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2021, 02:39:02 AM »
I'd be even happier if the games had a single "core mechanics" book (or pamphlet - or free online pdf we could print ourselves) and did the different periods/setting/genre rules as separate books with whatever tweaks are called for to the core rules and the space saved used for more scenarios, extra setting-specific chrome, and perhaps a simple campaign system or somesuch.

So maybe something like the Saga Approach, with its core rules and slimmer tailored add ons. Think its a fair point actually, thanks for clarifying. I'll admit with the Osprey range, some of the blue books really squeeze too much in and could do with the deluxe treatment. So editing and production choices for the range, I find a bit inconsistent.

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2021, 02:03:59 PM »
So maybe something like the Saga Approach, with its core rules and slimmer tailored add ons. Think its a fair point actually, thanks for clarifying. I'll admit with the Osprey range, some of the blue books really squeeze too much in and could do with the deluxe treatment. So editing and production choices for the range, I find a bit inconsistent.

I haven't bought much Saga but looking at their catalog, they do seem to be taking the approach I'd like to see more often, yeah.

You have a point about the blue books, although the small format does lend itself to simpler/shorter rule sets that might struggle to fill a larger book with useful material so they do offer a useful niche - as well as being really inexpensive, which is a plus.  Some of them do feel like they'd have been better off from word one with a larger page count (eg Rogue Stars, which is jam-packed and still felt like it had more to say) while others are fine as a slim volume (eg A Billion Suns, and arguably Gaslands, whose larger Reloaded version didn't really add much for my tastes).

Offline driller

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2021, 05:47:58 PM »
I have to say Stargrave is a huge disappointment for me. Obviously the ruleset will resemble Frostgrave, based on the name alone... but this much? No heavy lifiting was done whatsoever. And I've seen the preview on the first expansion which is on youtube, that is no big shakes either, unfortunately.

Thankfully I have stubled upon the new edition of FIVE PARSECS FROM HOME... now that is a scifi solo/skirmish wargame dream come true for me.

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2021, 07:05:05 PM »
I have to say Stargrave is a huge disappointment for me. Obviously the ruleset will resemble Frostgrave, based on the name alone... but this much? No heavy lifiting was done whatsoever. And I've seen the preview on the first expansion which is on youtube, that is no big shakes either, unfortunately.

Thankfully I have stubled upon the new edition of FIVE PARSECS FROM HOME... now that is a scifi solo/skirmish wargame dream come true for me.

Have you played the game?  It's a fairly lazy effort in many ways (still no soldier progression, still no racial differentiation, no vehicle rules) but the actual gameplay is very different from the ones that have gone before, partly due to the much greater importance of ranged combat over melee and partly due to the new powers.  I won't argue that it would have been nice if it was more different than Frostgrave/GA than it is, but it is arguably the best iteration of the game engine to date.  If there's follow-through that leads to more extensive solo-play and co-op options (ala Rangers) I'll be pretty happy with it overall, and it sounds like there's plans for some kind of alternate gameplay mode that focuses on a "brave rebels against the pirates" campaign rather than loot recovery.

That said, 5 Parsecs does look quite nice.  Haven't had much opportunity to play though.

Offline driller

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2021, 12:31:17 PM »
I bought the book and played the game. I agree that it's the best iteration of the system, it just feels... lazy and hollow. But that is just my humble opinion, I don't want to ruin anyone's fun.

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2021, 12:34:28 PM »
I bought the book and played the game. I agree that it's the best iteration of the system, it just feels... lazy and hollow. But that is just my humble opinion, I don't want to ruin anyone's fun.

Can't argue with any of that, although I'm not as dis-enthused about the game as you appear to be.  Not utterly thrilled either, but if nothing else it's brought us a bunch of neat new minis with many more to come.  That in and of itself is pretty good justification for a game existing to me.  :)

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2021, 01:25:32 PM »
Can't argue with any of that, although I'm not as dis-enthused about the game as you appear to be.  Not utterly thrilled either, but if nothing else it's brought us a bunch of neat new minis with many more to come.  That in and of itself is pretty good justification for a game existing to me.  :)

I must admit I have played a few of the solo missions and I then get fed-up and then re-play the mission but with a mash-up of Rogue Trader and 3rd edition rules - much better  ;). I realise that I really don`t like any polyhedral dice and that they like me even less ;) >:(

I will probably re-skin old Necro, Rogue Trader and Shadow Wars: Armageddon for the rules and just steal the scenarios from Stargrave.

Glen

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2021, 01:33:07 PM »
I'm too much of a Stargrunt fan to be object to polyhedrals in my skirmish games - and McCullough really only uses the d20 anyway.  :)

Necromunda's an excellent starting point for almost any scifi skirmish fight you might want to play, especially if you crib inspiration from RT, Inquisitor and the broader 40K setting while re-skinning it to fit what you're doing better.

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2021, 01:48:12 PM »
I'm too much of a Stargrunt fan to be object to polyhedrals in my skirmish games - and McCullough really only uses the d20 anyway.  :)

Necromunda's an excellent starting point for almost any scifi skirmish fight you might want to play, especially if you crib inspiration from RT, Inquisitor and the broader 40K setting while re-skinning it to fit what you're doing better.

Agreed on the last bit, just to clarify I have tried many, many times to like games with non-square dice, SG2, Pulp Alley, Aetherverse the list goes on and on. The only one I didn`t mind too much strangely was Kryomek, the resolution table helped a bit with the swingyness that many people complain about. However this is not what bothers me with Stargrave its just a bit samey, when I play a live opponent and I don`t have to do anything, this viewpoint may change, we shall see.

Glen