Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 01:53:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689285
  • Total Topics: 118269
  • Online Today: 605
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [Stargrave] Looters, doc, and some more power armor  (Read 4074 times)

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
[Stargrave] Looters, doc, and some more power armor
« on: July 12, 2021, 07:30:49 PM »
Another Stargrave post on the blog showing off the various "support troop" soldier types and a group shot of the various armored trooper proxies I've done to date.  More images and commentary at the link:

https://sanctumreconditesage.blogspot.com/2021/07/stargrave-support-troops-power-armor.html

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: [Stargrave] Looters, doc, and some more power armor
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 07:43:21 PM »
Good looking figures. I have built a load of figures from the 3 box sets, but haven’t got near painting them yet. I do like how your figures look, so will try to remember to look back in for inspiration once I get round to getting the colours out.

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2021, 08:17:04 PM »
I've been pretty much grabbing whatever paints come to hand for most of them.  Kind of nice not to be painting to any particular color scheme for more than a handful of minis.

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2021, 08:44:58 PM »
Nice! I particularly like the power armoured guy with the yellow spotted camouflage. That's a cool pattern and a cool head!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 06:30:25 AM »
Great stuff, as usual mate! Really nice idea on the power armor helmets.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2021, 12:20:01 PM »
Nice! I particularly like the power armoured guy with the yellow spotted camouflage. That's a cool pattern and a cool head!

The heads (with the exception of the obvious GW one on the green PA suit) are all from the Ghar battlesuit frame in Warlord's Beyond the Gates of Antares range.  You get three styles and a half-dozen spares when assembled, so the kit's a handy bits source and goes on sale once in a while so economical to stock up on too.

You can also do some pretty neat (and very simple) alternate builds with them, for ex the Traveller-inspired grav-mobile versions here:

https://brokenstarsburningships.blogspot.com/2019/05/gates-of-antares-grav-droid-conversions.html

Still think I like the cyclops design best - and it gives you an extra spare head for the bits box.  :)

They are pretty big, though.

Offline LiamFrostfang

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2021, 10:08:05 AM »
 :D awesome!!!

Offline gregmita

• Librarian
    • My Gaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2021, 05:06:54 PM »
Those are great Ghar conversions! I've got a few sprues of them somewhere, and this is giving me ideas...

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2021, 05:54:04 PM »
Those Ghar conversions are excellent, I’ve used mine as big 15mm alien tank/Walker things - might have to go back and attack the unused spares.
Keep up the good work,
BALM
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2021, 02:39:46 PM »
Those Ghar conversions are excellent, I’ve used mine as big 15mm alien tank/Walker things - might have to go back and attack the unused spares.
Keep up the good work,
BALM

Ironically, I think the legs are the only bits I haven't found a use for yet.  Thought I was going to use them for Gamma Wolves but that game turned out to be a real flash in the pan.  You'd think at some point I'd stop wasting money on games that don't have a player base...

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2021, 09:29:39 PM »
Rich half my lead mountain wouldn’t exist if it wasn’t for me optimistically buying into something and then my intended opponent/s getting bored/distracted/never started even though it was their idea and they banged on about it  lol I realised it was wasting my limited hobby funds and now I’m trying to focus on what I want to play and need to sell the excesses.

BALM

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2021, 02:17:47 PM »
great stuff.

would do the GoA range a big favour if they actually marketed a 'race' of figures like that, with such paint-jobs.

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2021, 03:09:00 PM »
great stuff.

would do the GoA range a big favour if they actually marketed a 'race' of figures like that, with such paint-jobs.

TBH, I quite like most of the actual Ghar figure range even when assembled normally.  The little guys are kind of adorable in a "40K grot" sort of way when they aren't wearing their big battle suits, and the various crawler vehicles are just plain nifty looking.  Gates' big problem is that Warlord seem to have lost interest in new releases and haven't put out anything new in quite a while AFAIK.  That company's got some fairly serious attention span problems.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2021, 01:49:55 PM »
the ghars I like - and the boromites.
but the more humanoid factions are a bit dull somehow. Could just be the official paint-jobs.

Are they really supporting the game now? Get the impression it never really took off.

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2021, 04:19:46 PM »
the ghars I like - and the boromites.
but the more humanoid factions are a bit dull somehow. Could just be the official paint-jobs.

Yeah, the rank-and-file guys are kind of generic for some factions, although the Isorians (with their biomechanical gear style) stand out pretty well for me as well and the Freeborn have a pretty distinctive (if odd) look to them as well.  Concord and Algoryn are the ones that blur together most for me, but even they've got some standout character figs once you go beyond the various grunts.  And there's the drones - never been a better 28mm range for variety of drones, and there's even a whole faction of rogue ones.

Are they really supporting the game now? Get the impression it never really took off.

Been quite a while since anything new came out - think the Virai rogue drone stuff was the last release wave.  Still selling it though, and I can't think of anything really missing from the range offhand - although I'm not real familiar with the lore so maybe that's wrong.  More plastic kits would be nice, but they aren't GW and have other games that are still getting filled in - and admittedly, may sell better.  I'd expect they're seeing an uptick in sales right now just because the BGOA figs work so well in skirmish scifi, which is obviously the current hotness.