Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:08:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pattus Magnus' Fantasy Armies - 15mm Barbarians and Giants  (Read 33725 times)

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Pattus Magnus' Fantasy Armies - Orctober closes with wolf riders
« Reply #120 on: October 31, 2022, 10:29:19 PM »
Here is the group shot (additional pics on the previous page) with all of the bow-armed wolf riders mixed together. I think they make a decent unit, not withstanding a few style differences in the sculpts from different sources.

So, in the end, I painted 45 orcs - 7 short of my goal for the end of October. Strictly speaking, only 22 were actually painted in October, since I gave myself a head start. It feels good to have them done!

An army picture will be posted soon!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 02:28:46 AM by Pattus Magnus »

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #121 on: October 31, 2022, 10:58:46 PM »
Very well done getting all those orcs done the orc cavalry look great too. Fantastic effort.

Offline WitchQueenofAngmar

• Bookworm
« Reply #122 on: November 01, 2022, 12:42:57 AM »
Those riders look fantastic!

Offline Seditiosus

• Bookworm
« Reply #123 on: November 01, 2022, 01:17:41 AM »
well done! Whats next for november? ;)

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #124 on: November 01, 2022, 01:38:34 AM »
Thanks folks!

I haven’t decided yet what is next in line. I might finish up the orcs and goblins I didn’t get to yet (and I ordered a box of the new slaves, so those will soon be getting my attention). A change of pace might also be nice - I have some other projects I have been neglecting!

By the way, Golgotha, following up on your question a while back about the red, the recipe is as follows: primed white, block paint the red with burnt sienna artist acrylic which makes a rusty red/orange, paint everything else that is non-metallic, drybrush with Vallejo silver grey, apply GW Reikland flesh wash to the red bits which darkens everything and adds shadows in any recesses.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 04:52:27 AM by Pattus Magnus »

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #125 on: November 01, 2022, 06:50:06 AM »
Those wolves are excellent! Marvellous work, always good to see alternatives to the Oathmark ones.

Offline Chimpfoot

• Mad Scientist
  • Life is a daring adventure or nothing at all
    • chimpfoots tavern
« Reply #126 on: November 01, 2022, 08:19:50 AM »
Very nice
Are those some reaper wolves?
45??!!
Really?
😳😳😳😆😆
chimpfoots-tavern.blogspot.com

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #127 on: November 01, 2022, 08:50:22 AM »
Brilliant work!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #128 on: November 01, 2022, 09:08:28 AM »
Great stuff! They look splendid, and it's really nice to see those Alternative Armies orcs painted up.

They were, I believe, originally Rieder Design's "orc wolvery"; there used to be grainy black-and-white ads for the Rieder line in White Dwarf. Some of the Rieder figures are really good - on a par with Citadel from the same period. I wonder if Alternative Armies will rerelease the Orc Warband at some point - they're great figures.

Offline Old Hob

• Scientist
    • The Evil Lead
« Reply #129 on: November 01, 2022, 09:38:49 AM »
Glorious stuff. Those wolf riders ooze Tolkien and the brushwork is fantastic. Congratulations. Very much looking forward to the army shot.

Very nice
Are those some reaper wolves?
45??!!
Really?
😳😳😳😆😆

Those are RAFM wolves, I believe. I've just picked up a couple of Reaper dire wolves (I intend to liberally steal from Pattus' ideas  ;)), and I would say the Reaper wolves are maybe a touch smaller, but would mix pretty well. Hope that helps.

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #130 on: November 01, 2022, 09:40:53 AM »
Don't know why but I always enjoy anything riding on a wolf ... err warg! Great work!!!

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #131 on: November 01, 2022, 03:12:53 PM »
Thanks everyone!

Chimpfoot, Old Hob is correct - 6 of the wolves in the group shot are from RAFM, but there are also 2 Reaper dire wolves in the shot. The RAFM wolves are a bit lankier (mainly due to running poses) than the Reaper wolves, but they blend pretty well together. (There are some closer pics on page 8 of the thread, where you can see the differences)

Hobgoblin, that’s interesting about Reider Designs originally producing the older wolf riders. Looking through the Alternative Armies catalogue, quite a few of their figs originated with that company (and some from Asgard Miniatures). I appreciate that they have made those available again, they are fun figures to paint and there are some gems in those ranges!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 03:54:33 PM by Pattus Magnus »

Offline batu

• Scientist
    • My Stuff:
« Reply #132 on: November 01, 2022, 03:17:45 PM »
Congrats: successful Orctober! Those RAFM wolves look pretty nice I have to say.

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #133 on: November 01, 2022, 05:51:29 PM »
Solid body of work.

They sing McBride to me, which is the way orcs should be.

Excellent stuff.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Pattus Magnus' Fantasy Armies - Orc army on the march
« Reply #134 on: November 02, 2022, 03:54:28 AM »
Angus McBride’s version of orcs certainly influenced my collection and painting! Here are a few pics of the assembled war host.

Starting from the front, there are two small units of 10 goblin archers, and a unit of 20 slave slingers. Behind one unit of archers there are 15 goblin soldiers. The other archers have 10 goblin spearmen (and 3 orc ‘motivators’ with whips - no game effect, they just look cool).

The next wave consists of 11 wolf riders with spears or hand weapons, 15 orc archers in the centre, and 10 wolf rider scouts on the other flank. There are also one goblin and one orc hero mounted on wolves.

The following wave are orcs - a unit of 10 spear orcs (Oathmark style), 15 orc soldiers (EM4 conversions and a few metal figures), and 15 spear orcs (more EM 4 conversions).

Then another wave of orc warriors and linebreakers. On the left of the picture, 10 warriors (Oathmark and LotR), 12 linebreakers in the centre (Oathmark, LotR and EM4 conversions, and 10 warriors (ex-Harlequin figs). In front of the linebreakers the orc king is standing around with his entourage - an orc shaman , two champions, the king himself, and a goblin magician. There are also two common wolves (familiars perhaps?). Finally, at the back, four trolls.

So, altogether, a little over 180 figures, 45 of which are new work from the past 6 weeks.

I have lots more figures for this army. It seems a bit “orc heavy” at the moment, so maybe I will focus on building up the lightweights when I work on them next.