Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:55:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690583
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 728
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pattus Magnus' Fantasy Armies - 15mm Barbarians and Giants  (Read 33688 times)

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Pattus Magnus' Fantasy Armies - Kitbashed Ogres
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2021, 12:42:48 AM »
Thanks for the compliments!

I agree about the direction GW has gone with figure design, the newer sets are much more difficult to kit bash than their older stuff. The number of components per figure gets a bit extreme, too - I’ve seen 1:43 display models with fewer pieces than some of GW’s larger creatures!

In any case, converting the old orcs was fun and as ogres they’ll see some action in future games!

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2021, 04:47:22 AM »
Just seen this thread.  Nice dwarf army and I like ogre conversions too.  Good work.

Offline Ceeteegee

• Librarian
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2021, 05:37:50 PM »
I do like the Ogres you've made. I have GW and Reaper Ogres ( with has GW heads), and those might be just what I'm looking for to crew the cannon.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Pattus Magnus' Fantasy Armies - Marbag the Giant (Sept 12, 2021)
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2021, 03:46:57 AM »
Thanks trev, CeeTeeGee!

I still haven't primed the ogres, too damp this weekend, but I finished off another recruit for the Oathmark army - Marbag the Tall.

The figure is a "Ral Partha Imports" figure - Armored Cloud Giant - that I found in old stock at a hobby shop. I didn't love the original helmet (and it had a casting flaw), so I used greenstuff to build a new one.

I have no idea how he'll perform in Oathmark, but I figure if nothing else he'll give my opponent something to worry about and will soak up a lot of missile fire while the rest of the battle-line advances...

Offline batu

• Scientist
    • My Stuff:
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2021, 04:28:33 PM »
Wow, he looks great!

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2021, 07:41:46 PM »
Fantastic body of work, very well co-ordinated paint scheme.
I thinks it's aslo the first time I've seen a full unit of female dwarves.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2021, 03:27:41 PM »
Thanks Batu,  Hubbabubba, I appreciate the feedback!

I’ll have more updates soon, the weather has dried out enough to prime the new ogres and I am part way through rebasing some figures for the human component of my force.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Pattus Magnus' Fantasy Armies - Orc-tober Warriors (Oct. 25, 2021)
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2021, 12:12:58 AM »
As is often the case, I got distracted from my wargaming plans and went off on a tangent. This time it was painting orcs, when I had planned to expand the human contingent in my Oathmark army. At least with Oathmark, I can start another kingdom to use these fellows!

These figures will serve as a unit of orc warriors - better armed and even more vicious than the usual orcs (which will be provided with ex-Grenadier plastic figures). These are "Orcs of the Crimson Wave", or something to that effect, ex-Harlequin figures that are still available from Black Tree Designs. The shields are not the ones supplied with these figures and come from an old set of Mantic's goblins, with a few from the GW Morannon orcs.

They were fun to paint, so I might paint some more orcs and goblins before getting back to the humans and dwarves from my first kingdom. I probably should finish a few more units of goblins and orcs anyway, the dwarves and humans outnumber them, even without Marbag the giant...

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Pattus Magnus' Fantasy Armies - Ogre Warriors and Linebreakers
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2022, 07:06:07 PM »
A little thread necromancy here, as it has taken me about 8 months to get around to finishing up these units. I posted WIP shots of some of the kitbashed ogres earlier in the thread. I primed them not long after that, but got distracted by some orcs and a very productive side trip into painting 10mm Seven Years War figures.

A few weeks ago I finally dusted off the kitbashed ogres, and a couple of old metal figures, and started painting them.

The warriors are all conversions based on GW Orcs. The linebreakers with pole arms are also based on GW Orcs, while the other 3 are metal figures. I picked up the two on the flanks from Alternative Armies, while the guy in the middle is a figure I picked up from old stock in a local gaming store. I think he might be one of the old Heartbreaker figures sculpted by Tim Prow.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2022, 07:14:43 AM »
Great conversion, they look brilliant! 👍
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2022, 08:36:55 PM »
Those are amazing!  Do you mind sharing the skin color recipe?

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2022, 11:47:12 PM »
It is amazing how much the addition of noses changes the overall look of the models.
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2022, 05:57:21 AM »

The recipe for the flesh tone is fairly simple to do. I started with the white primer, then gave the flesh areas a coat of GW Reikland Flesh wash. Next I painted in all the rest of the colours and I used a trick I learned from Hobgoblin’s blog - each figure got a dry brush all over of very pale warm grey (it is Vallejo silver grey, or something like that). That gives the skin and everything else a highlight. Then the flesh areas got another wash of Reikland Flesh to add more depth. Finally, I added a few highlights to the noses and other high points with P3 Ryn Flesh (or whatever their palest flesh tone is called). I hope that’s helpful!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 06:00:07 AM by Pattus Magnus »

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2022, 01:26:06 PM »
Thank you!  Did you block paint the base colors and then do the dry brush if grey or did the grey and then paint over everything?

The recipe for the flesh tone is fairly simple to do. I started with the white primer, then gave the flesh areas a coat of GW Reikland Flesh wash. Next I painted in all the rest of the colours and I used a trick I learned from Hobgoblin’s blog - each figure got a dry brush all over of very pale warm grey (it is Vallejo silver grey, or something like that). That gives the skin and everything else a highlight. Then the flesh areas got another wash of Reikland Flesh to add more depth. Finally, I added a few highlights to the noses and other high points with P3 Ryn Flesh (or whatever their palest flesh tone is called). I hope that’s helpful!

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2022, 02:35:08 PM »
I block painted everything except the metal parts, which got a black wash. Then I quickly dry brushed everything, painted the metal parts and applied the washes (flesh wash on the skin and red parts, GW camo-shade green on the green parts, and Agra’s earth shade everywhere else).

The technique is based on the one LAF’s Hobgoblin put up on his blog here: https://hobgoblinry.blogspot.com/2018/05/fast-and-furious-speed-painting.html?m=1