Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:03:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685105
  • Total Topics: 118012
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pattus Magnus' Fantasy Armies - 15mm Barbarians and Giants  (Read 32728 times)

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Pattus Magnus' Fantasy Armies - Ogre Warriors and Linebreakers
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2022, 01:01:52 AM »
I appreciate the in-depth response and the link to the technique.  I’m definitely interested in giving it a shot!

Online Pattus Magnus

• Mastermind
Re: Pattus Magnus' Fantasy Armies - Ogre Warriors and Linebreakers
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2022, 06:22:07 AM »
I’m glad to hear that it might be helpful. I have certainly been getting good results using Hobgoblin’s technique over the past year or two.

Online Pattus Magnus

• Mastermind
Re: Pattus Magnus' Fantasy Armies - Goblins and Orcs
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2022, 03:55:37 PM »
I have been chipping away at the lead pile over the past week. I finished up a few goblins and orcs to bulk up a few units for Oathmark.

The Alternative Armies metal goblins are fun sculpts with lots of character. They have much bigger heads and hands than the Oathmark goblins, but I think they'll blend into units reasonably well as leaders or heroes.

The orcs are old Grenadier models. The plastic spearmen received a simple conversion by having the spear arms replaced with arms from old GW Skaven.

Soon I'll assemble the Goblin King's war host for a group shot. It will be a little while yet before they have the numbers to take on my dwarves, though!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 05:27:16 AM by Pattus Magnus »

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2022, 04:21:44 PM »
Lovely work especially like the Grenadier Orcs.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2022, 04:28:38 PM »
Great stuff! They look fantastic. Very nice bases, too.

Those Alternative Armies fellows were originally the Orcs of the Stiff Crow from Rieder Design (older viewers may remember the company from blurry black and white ads in White Dwarf). They've certainly aged well!

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2022, 07:27:49 PM »
I’m totally in love with what you did with those Grenadier Orcs. That’s fantastic!

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2022, 07:44:55 PM »
All lovely stuff. Especially like the giant.

Offline batu

• Scientist
    • My Stuff:
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2022, 07:51:03 PM »
This is the first time I see the Grenadier Orcs painted nicely! Great job on those and the whole lot!

Online Pattus Magnus

• Mastermind
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2022, 10:03:34 PM »
Thanks for the comments, I appreciate all the positive feedback!

I’m pretty happy with how the old monopose orcs turned out. The criticisms of the sculpts, that they have soft details and are a bit bland, are justified but in spite of that I have found they look good painted and make a good base for conversions. I converted and painted these other ones a while ago:

Let’s call them solid “fixer-uppers”.

I’m looking forward to getting some of the Oathmark orcs and trying some of the spare bits on the ex-Grenadier plastics. They could make some fun hybrids!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2022, 08:52:45 AM »
Those hirsute conversions look fantastic! The hair really brings the figures to life. I like the varied skin tones too.

I’m looking forward to getting some of the Oathmark orcs and trying some of the spare bits on the ex-Grenadier plastics. They could make some fun hybrids!

Consider that idea stolen!

Online Pattus Magnus

• Mastermind
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2022, 03:37:22 PM »
Consider that idea stolen!

Given that I've been using your painting technique for years and I'm often "borrowing" ideas from your conversions, it only seems fair if you steal an idea or two in return!

Regarding the hairy orc conversions, it's true that adding a topknot or a mullet to the plastic figures gives them a much different feel. Using greenstuff to add helmets also does wonders, but that is a bit more complicated.

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2022, 09:44:36 PM »
Those look fantastic, as usual with your stuff :)

I was wondering if you'd be playing Oathmark... I haven't had the chance to get in a game, but I already have the rules and have put together some armies based on my Kings of War stuff. Sounds like a fun fantasy option at this point, and the figures are really quite excellent too.

Thanks
n

Online Pattus Magnus

• Mastermind
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2022, 01:11:12 AM »
Thanks Neldoreth!

Yeah, I have played a few games of Oathmark and enjoy the game a lot. I find it plays quite smoothly and the kingdom-based army selection forces some trade-offs when picking forces. It also went a long way towards getting me painting 28mm fantasy armies again!

Online Pattus Magnus

• Mastermind
Re: Pattus Magnus' Fantasy Armies - Barbarian Dwarves
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2022, 11:07:34 PM »
This unit represents dwarf beast hunters who live for months on end in the wilderness, patrolling with the border guards to find and destroy marauding creatures and hostile warbands before they become a threat to the kingdom's heartland. They stalk their prey armed with great axes and two-handed warhammers. For armour, they wear the occasional steel helm or arm guard, but mainly rely on coats made of the thickest hides cut from beasts they have killed. When the King Under the Mountain summons his host to war, the beast hunters march in the vanguard with the border guards and serve in battle as linebreakers, carving holes in enemy shieldwalls.

In other words, I wanted a unit of linebreakers that look a bit different than the highly regimented axemen I already had!

These figures are kitbashed with bodies and some arm pairs from Frostgrave Barbarians, and heads and other arm pairs from the Oathmark Dwarf, Heavy Dwarf and Light Dwarf sets. It took more than a little cutting and gluing to get the pieces to fit (especially the heads, which use a completely different connection than on the Barbarian bodies), but it was worth it in the end. Now hopefully they will perform well in battle!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: Pattus Magnus' Fantasy Armies - Barbarian Dwarves
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2022, 05:45:18 AM »
Great work, especially on those plaid cloaks! 👍
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/