Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:34:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pattus Magnus' Fantasy Armies - 15mm Barbarians and Giants  (Read 32928 times)

Offline Phil Portway

• Mastermind
Re: Pattus Magnus' Fantasy Armies - Orc-tober arrived early
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2022, 01:59:25 PM »
This thread is a fabulous inspiration and those Orc conversion are spectacular!

Thanks for sharing your skill!  8) 8) 8)
If it isn't enjoyable, it isn't gaming!

Online Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2022, 03:52:58 PM »
Thanks for the compliments, they keep me motivated! I should have some more orcs painted soon, the linebreakers are on the desk.

Regarding the orc skin tones, I use a simple approach. I start with a white undercoat, then put a wash of GW Reikland flesh on the mouth (if it is open). Next I block in the rest of the skin with a greenish grey or similar (Vallejo Green Grey, or Green Brown are currently my favorites). I block paint the rest of the non-metallic parts and dry brush the whole model with Vallejo Silver Grey to give simple highlighting. I block paint the metallics, then apply washes to add shadows (this method is one I learned from Hobgoblin’s blog). The flesh areas get Reikland Flesh, which gives the highlights a pinkish hue, and turns the green-grey or green-brown into the skin tone in the pictures.

As for conversions, I have a lot of fun putting them together. I have drawn a lot of inspiration from other folks on LAF, and then mess around with pieces to try and get something that looks good. Orcs are pretty forgiving because they have oddly proportioned bodies anyway (at least by human standards, they would probably think we’re the ones who look odd…)! I really enjoy ending up with an army that has unique figures.

Offline Old Hob

• Scientist
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2022, 09:09:15 PM »
That's the 2nd time someone has recommended Vallejo Silver Grey today! I must track down this miracle paint.

Interesting method for the skin. I wouldn't have thought of that. I will give it a whirl at some point as I think it gives a really nice 'fleshy' effect. Thank you.

Online Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Pattus Magnus' Fantasy Armies - Early Orc-tober Part 2 - Linebreakers
« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2022, 05:44:05 PM »
The orc linebreaker conversions are done!

The first picture shows the figures that are based on Oathmark bodies. Several have heads from Wargames Atlantic, and the arms are from the Frostgrave Barbarians, Gnolls or Cultists sets. Some of the arms were originally holding spears, which were turned into axes or maces/mauls by shortening the hafts  and replacing the heads.

The second picture shows one metal figure and three conversions based on ex-Grenadier figures. Nothing much was needed for the metal figure - there are a bunch of old Nick Lund sculpts with two-handed weapons that would make great linebreakers. I painted that figure years ago using a different style, so he looks a bit darker than the others, but I think he fits in well enough as the boss. Two of the plastic figure conversions used Frostgrave arm combinations, while the other used re-positioning the arms and adding a hammer head from the Frostgrave Barbarians set. He also got some heavier armour made with greenstuff. That figure was also painted in an old, darker style. I think that using the same style of basing allows that figure and metal figure blend into the unit well enough with the newer figures (although I may repaint them some day - once everything else in the lead pile is done).
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 09:49:16 PM by Pattus Magnus »

Online Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2022, 05:48:55 PM »
The comparison shot shows the size of the Oathmark conversions and the ex-Grenadier ones. The figure in the middle is my orc king - he is one of the metal not-LotR figures Scotia-Grendel Productions makes, but he received a modified helmet and a face transplant from an ex-Grenadier plastic figure. I painted him ages ago in my old style.

The unit picture shows everyone on a movement tray. I think they blend together pretty well!

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2022, 07:01:53 PM »
Fantastic conversions love the latest additions another good looking unit of orcs...

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2022, 07:18:13 AM »
Fantastic conversions love the latest additions another good looking unit of orcs...

I would echo that. Great work!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Old Hob

• Scientist
Re: Pattus Magnus' Fantasy Armies - Painted Orc Linebreakers
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2022, 09:16:25 AM »
I've a lot of love for these. They look rag-tag, but the colour scheme neatly pulls them together as a unit. Maybe it's the Wargames Atlantic heads/helmets, but they really remind me of the Angus McBride cover illustration for Denizens of the Dark Wood MERP supplement, which is obviously a very good thing.

Online Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2022, 08:06:27 PM »
Thanks guys!

Hob, that’s exactly the impression I got when I saw those helmets. I love McBride’s take on orcs, so building a bunch of figures to fit that style was a must!

The next unit of orcs is on the painting table (soldiers/ warriors with hand weapons and shields). They should be done in a week or two. My goal is to get all of my primed orcs and goblins done by the end of October, then do an army picture. All will depend on what’s going on in real life…
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 09:53:59 PM by Pattus Magnus »

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2022, 11:30:49 PM »
Those look excellent, and inspiring. Great to see this project come together!

thanks
Joe

Online Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2022, 12:10:58 AM »
Thanks Joe! It’s a good feeling to see this army coming together! The various fantasy kits released over the past few years have ramped up my enthusiasm again.

Online Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Here they come! It looks like they sent their slaves ahead of the main line.

Wouldn't you? If we had slaves, that is?

True enough. What are they, though? They can't be orcs.

They're the same thing, just bred smaller.

But look at the size of them, they're tiny compared to that bastard at the back with the whip.

You've seen a terrier, right?

Yeah.

And you've seen a mastiff, right?

Yeah?

They're both dogs, just like these guys are all orcs, or goblins, or whatever. Different sizes for different jobs.

But then, who's breeding them?

Ask the elves. It's not all frolicking in the woods for those pricks, they've been around forever and their mages have experimented with some evil shit in their time.

Oh. It looks like they're winding up with their slings!

So they are. SHIELDS UP!

- A conversation between Berthold the Dim and Merrick Thorne, shortly before the Battle of Creswell's Farm

I haven't had the chance to try goblin slaves in a game of Oathmark yet, but the Dark Alliance 1/72 Goblin sets are cheap and provide a lot of figures per box that meet the general requirements - minimal armour, simple weapons and expressions with a combination of viciousness and desperation, so I decided to add some to the collection. They even have a handful of figures per box that are actually armed with slings, although most of the missile troops have bows. I will eventually paint the archers as well and use them as slingers - I'll just assume that the bows are weak and shoot darts, rather than true arrows.

The orc "motivator" at the back is, of course, converted from an EM-4 plastic figure. 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 08:01:52 AM by Pattus Magnus »

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
I had to go back and read and stare at the pictures of entire thread again, in case I missed something.

Glorious, and especially the conversion work, and especialy with the classic old Grenadier plastics, never tire of seeing what people do with them.

looking forward to more!

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
Pattus,

This amazing thread reminds me I never replied to your last email. I must correct this oversight.

But with that said I still love the EM4 Dwarf converAwesome indeed. indeed.

For those who wanna see more on the dwarves have a click.
http://combatzonechronicles.net/cozoxc/flattery.htm

Pattus, was there another link?

Online Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Thanks for the comments!

Grimmnar, that email must have been a long time ago, I’ve forgotten it too!

I only ever wrote the one article for Combat Zone Chronicles. I meant to write more, then promptly got distracted! I did write an article in Miniature Wargames last year about converting the Grenadier plastic dwarf spearmen into cavalry.

There are a lot of fun possibilities for conversion material these days!