Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:34:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691082
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pattus Magnus' Fantasy Armies - 15mm Barbarians and Giants  (Read 33835 times)

Offline batu

• Scientist
    • My Stuff:
Wow lovely. Especially the shields look amazing!

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
Wow! Those barbarians are brilliant! I hope to see more from you in God’s Chosen Scale (=15mm)!  :o :-*

Actually, seeing those, I really regret single-basing mine. Maybe I just buy more for multibases🤔

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
Really amazing work.  How are the Copplestone minis in size?  When you see such quality sculpts in 15mm they often turn out to be bigger 18mm figures. 

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
Really amazing work.  How are the Copplestone minis in size?  When you see such quality sculpts in 15mm they often turn out to be bigger 18mm figures.

Hi Louie, they are definitely 18mm. Comparable with Xyston or Demonworld.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Thanks for the compliments!

Louie, DivisMal is correct about the sizing - Copplestone barbarians are on the larger side of the 15mm continuum. I took a few pics to show them next to other 15s I have at hand.

The first pic shows one next to next to an OldGlory 15mm Celt.

The second pic compares to a Minifigs feudal figure.

The last one shows a base of barbarians next to a base of Splintered Light Saxons (apologies that the Saxon shields are in the way, it’s how they’re posed.)

Overall, the Copplestone figs are bigger than the Minifigs and Splintered Light, but are surprisingly close to the OG for size.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 06:39:46 AM by Pattus Magnus »

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
And one more comparison shot, with an Essex late Roman, which is noticeably smaller.

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
Not bad really maybe more like 16mm. 

I would say very compatible. 

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
Thanks, Pattus, for the comparison shots. I have quite an extensive 15mm collection, but was missing many of those (and it’s darn hard to find precise phootos in the net). OG is very close and might work. That’s great for a lot of fantasy settings with pseudo-historical background! :-*

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
You’re welcome, I’m happy to provide info when I can!

I agree that Old Glory 15mm figures would probably not look too jarring next to the Copplestone figures. I have a couple of historical 15mm armies and my recollection is that OG sculpts in different lines are mostly based on the same set of “dollies”, so they will probably be about the same stature as the Celt in the picture.

Even the smaller “true 15mm” lines aren’t ridiculously different than the Copplestone figures, in my opinion.

Once I have the barbarian war host complete enough to play, I have some other 15mm fantasy armies planned. They’re a fun change from 28mm!

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Here is a better image for comparing the Copplestone figures to Splintered Light.

The Copplestone figs are clearly larger (their cast on bases are also slightly thicker).

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
Oh, that’s another useful shot!
These SL Saxons have tempted me for a while.

Copplestone are certainly not ridiculously big (like some Xyston ranges in my possession, but on the larger end. The effect becomes very visible when you use single models for skirmish wargaming and put them next to those very small ranges like Peter Pig.

Even that, however, can be fun. I have a PP arab as a thief of Bagdad running around;)

Offline Old Hob

• Scientist
    • The Evil Lead
Cor blimey! These are fantastic. You've absolutely smashed it. And are those hand painted shields? If so, I think we'll need to do a whip-round and buy you a medal! Keep 'em coming.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
 lol Thanks Hob!

Yes, the shields are hand painted. They’re not too difficult to do, mostly a matter of getting the initial division into sections about right and then coming up with a few consistent geometric squiggles. By the end of painting this unit I was starting to run out of ideas for patterns.

I’ll still accept that medal, though!

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Pattus Magnus' Fantasy Armies - Orctober 2023, this time in 15mm!
« Reply #178 on: September 30, 2023, 05:54:59 PM »
It has been a while since I worked on my fantasy projects, but Orctober is just around the corner and my barbarians need some opponents!

The pic shows my goal for Orctober- figures for several units of 15mm goblins/snagas/lesser orcs, a unit of wolf riders, and a couple of command bases. Altogether, there are 94 figures in the picture- 32 archers, 40 infantry with miscellaneous weapons, 10 leaders/standard bearers, and 12 wolf riders.

If I get them done before the end of October, I have a bunch of 28mm goblin serfs and some ogres that have been hanging around the painting queue since last Orctober…

I’ll post updated as I get things painted.

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
Re: Pattus Magnus' Fantasy Armies - Orctober 2023, this time in 15mm!
« Reply #179 on: September 30, 2023, 09:51:11 PM »
Wow man, that is a lot of figures! Looking forward to seeing it come together!