Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:59:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691074
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 823
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pattus Magnus' Fantasy Armies - 15mm Barbarians and Giants  (Read 33826 times)

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Pattus Magnus' Fantasy Armies - 15mm scratch built orc chariots
« Reply #225 on: December 06, 2023, 11:28:55 PM »
Thanks, that’s high praise, as I am a fan of both of your work!

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
Re: Pattus Magnus' Fantasy Armies - 15mm scratch built orc chariots
« Reply #226 on: December 08, 2023, 04:35:20 PM »
They are absolutely awesome - I too would have thought they were "shop bought" as per another commenter's praise - really great work on them!
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Pattus Magnus' Fantasy Armies - 15mm orc characters
« Reply #227 on: December 19, 2023, 06:34:11 PM »
Thanks Snitchy and Little Odo!

Since then I have finished a few character bases for the orc army - a warlord, two contingent commanders, and a shaman. Character bases are always fun!

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #228 on: December 19, 2023, 06:38:24 PM »
The warlord and his signalers. The warlord and the standard are Demonworld sculpts, now sold by Ral Partha Europe. They’re amazing figures, so crisply sculpted. The drummer is from the Chariot Miniatures line they Magister Militum used to sell. Not quite as well executed as the Demonworld figures, but then few are. The drummer makes up n enthusiasm what he lacks in fine detail!

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #229 on: December 19, 2023, 06:43:26 PM »
The wolf riders and chariot needed a command base to direct them, so I put these together. The standard bearer is converted from a wolfrider by Chariot Miniatures, remounted on a Copplestone wolf (I really didn’t like the original wolf - it was very oddly proportioned). The officer is converted from a Blood Dawn goblin infantry figure, set on another Copplestone wolf. He needed a bit of trimming and green stuff but took to his new role as a rider fairly easily.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #230 on: December 19, 2023, 06:47:43 PM »
This guy is will command the lesser orc/ snaga infantry. He leads the Spiked Skulls tribe. The figure is a Demonworld sculpt, and the lesser orc banner bearer is from the Blood Dawn range. I like the difference in size between the figures - it leaves no doubt about who gives the orders.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #231 on: December 19, 2023, 06:52:05 PM »
Finally, the orc shaman. I haven’t given him a name yet, but he is a “Fire Caller” and specializes in flame-based magic. The figure is another Demonworld model, and the stone fire pot is a cut-down accessory from Reaper. I tried a little object-sourced lighting by dry brushing on some orange where he faces the flames. I’m not sure if it worked.

Offline Old Hob

• Scientist
    • The Evil Lead
« Reply #232 on: December 23, 2023, 10:33:59 PM »
These are absolutely brilliant. I've been really enjoying seeing your 15mm orc force come together. You've cranked through the figures at an impressive rate too. I can't remember if you said, but what rules you had in mind for this lot?

Online Luigi

• Scientist
« Reply #233 on: December 23, 2023, 11:45:23 PM »
Agreed on both the speed and quality! Incredible work right there.

As for the name for the shaman I tried to come up with something orcy but all I could think of was Promorcheus. Which almost sounds like swearing.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #234 on: December 24, 2023, 05:54:38 AM »
Thanks Hob, thanks Luigi!

I’m finding that with the 15mm figures I can get a fairly good result in a reasonable time and the group bases help with the final effect. The command bases, especially, are kind of like small dioramas.

As far as rules go, the main ones I have in mind are Fantastic Battles. In theory they’re designed to use square bases, but have rules for using rectangles instead (along with character bases). The key thing is standard frontages. I may also use the collection for Hordes of the Things, or for Warmaster, since either set will be compatible with the format I used. I would be open to other sets, too.

Luigi, that could work as a name. Does sound like it could be a swear word, or a communicable disease, though. Not that orcs would necessarily know the difference or care!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2023, 02:04:39 PM by Pattus Magnus »

Offline Philotep

• Bookworm
  • Philotep
    • Philotep's 1/72 Minis Kingdom
« Reply #235 on: December 24, 2023, 09:02:08 AM »
Wonderful minis! As a 1/72 figures painter (already a small scale in my opinion), I really admire 15mm figures painters, and your paintjob is excellent! Moreover, the color schemes are great, and the scenery (hill, background) makes your pictures captivating.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #236 on: December 24, 2023, 02:15:03 PM »
Philotep, thank you for the compliments!

I have enjoyed seeing the 1:72 on your blog, you do great work! Your kit bashed orc chariot was one of the contraptions I was inspired by when I put together the 15mm machines on page 15. Originally I planned to use Celt chariots and replace the crews, but the goblins would not fit in the ones I had, so I had to build the carts around the figures.

Regarding the scenery in the photos, I used backdrops made by Jon Hodgson Designs. He released two books through a kickstarter, one for fantasy settings and one for science fiction and I purchased both. I have not  used the sci-fi book yet, but the fantasy one is great for helping take good pictures of figures.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2023, 07:49:53 PM by Pattus Magnus »

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #237 on: January 03, 2024, 10:45:47 AM »
Haven’t been around for some time here in LAF, so I was really delighted to see your updates!

15mm is The Chosen scale;) it’s not perfect, but it allows for decent painting in short time. The amount of bases you cranked out is absolutely impressive! I love that orc army. It’s suitably sinister. Just brilliant.

And referring to an older post of yours: everyone regrets those half-finished projects or finished armies in scales one doesn’t play anymore. With me it’s 6mm and 10mm. 15s and 28s are different enough that I still like both.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #238 on: January 03, 2024, 06:32:49 PM »
Thanks for the compliments DivisMal! I have some more 15mm figures at the head of the painting line up, this time some reinforcements for the barbarians to give them a fighting chance against the orcs! I made no progress over the holidays, but should have some updates to post in a couple of weeks.

I completely agree about the benefits of 15mm figures. I find that the ranges with high quality sculpting almost paint themselves, which is a bit counterintuitive. I expected the detailed figures to be more difficult, but the details allow good results with quick techniques like washes and dry brushing. I can still get good results with lower detail sculpts but I find it takes longer, due to the need for painting in highlights and other details.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #239 on: January 03, 2024, 07:44:13 PM »
Thanks for the compliments DivisMal! I have some more 15mm figures at the head of the painting line up, this time some reinforcements for the barbarians to give them a fighting chance against the orcs! I made no progress over the holidays, but should have some updates to post in a couple of weeks.

I completely agree about the benefits of 15mm figures. I find that the ranges with high quality sculpting almost paint themselves, which is a bit counterintuitive. I expected the detailed figures to be more difficult, but the details allow good results with quick techniques like washes and dry brushing. I can still get good results with lower detail sculpts but I find it takes longer, due to the need for painting in highlights and other details.

Indeed! And since I have become a father, this time/painting quality ratio has become so valuable: Demonworld, Copplestone etc. paint themselves really well! As do some of the modern 3D prints. I cannot recommend Varus miniatures high enough.
And the significantly lower price tag is a welcome bonus.