Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:49:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686552
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: You can't Mesmerize me.....I'm British! Doug McClure and Peter Cushing  (Read 3248 times)

Offline KD47

• Librarian
  • What is best in life?
Good Afternoon all,

So I've been watching old movies while in confinement.   At the Earth's Core, Land that Time Forgot, Warlords of Atlantis and such.   Those movies could fall within the VSF rubric or Pulp, so I had to flip a coin as to where to put this.    Here's where it landed.

So the Doug McClure fig is the Fortune Hunter from Crooked Dice, exhibiting excellent trigger discipline with his SMLE Mk4 rifle.  The Mk4 started its production in 1931, putting it a bit far away from Victorian times.   The professor from "At the Earth's Core" was played by Peter Cushing, and this model is from Antediluvian miniatures.   His character is pure VSF so very appropriate for this board. 

At any rate, here are the painted minis.   Have fun.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 01:31:36 AM by KD47 »
For former content of mine, search my former user ID kalebdaark:

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=4831

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Lovely work  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
Superb!

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
Cracking Job :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
How have you done the bases?

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
What fabulous painting.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Great sculpts, great brushwork! I.. must.. resist… new… genre…
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
Your brushwork brings the Antediluvian sculpts to life! Bravo!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline KD47

• Librarian
  • What is best in life?
So here's my current basing method:

I base my figs on coins.   Pennies and nickels work well, and for the larger stuff I went down to my local coin shop and got some worthless foreign coins.   As long as the edge is smooth, they work well.   I use a dallop of green putty on top of the coin and then glue the mini into the recess that the slotta-base creates.  If the mini starts to lean over, then first push the slotta peg into the putty and pull it out.   Then let the putty set for a couple of hours and then glue it in.  Let it cure fully before you prime the mini.

then:

Paint the mini fully.

Paint the base an olive drab color.

Flat/Seal the mini.

Glue small cork "rocks" onto the bases to taste.

Paint OD around the edge of the rocks, then dip into construction sand (handy tip - the construction/play sand is free.  Don't buy any.   I went down to my rock & ready-mix place with a cool-whip jar to "get a sample to show the wife".   I did this several years ago and still haven't run out).

Once this dries, paint a thick coat of Games Workshop Agrellan Earth technical paint on the other base surfaces.

Wait several hours for that to fully dry and crack.

Once that dries, dry-brush the Agrellan Earth in a light khaki.  Maybe give the rock tips a few dry-brushing swipes.

Glue on grass tufts to taste.

Paint the edge of the base

Give the whole mini a second coat of seal/flat.

Enjoy!

« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 12:03:50 AM by KD47 »

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Marvellous work. I quite like Antediluvian's "Dougies", but I'm always amazed by the likenesses the Crooked Dice figures manage to achieve, especially with a top-quality paintjob like yours.

And those bases are great. I wish I had thought of that for mine, that style looks very evocative of the "Earth's Core" filming sets.

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
Cracking...literally cracking, job!

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
Well, VSF has gotten armament developments far stranger than pulling a rifle from the 30's...  lol

We appear to be quite of one mind on your lad...CRACKING!

Have you given thought to the lovely Dia? I seem to recall a lass in the same line as the good Professor.

Does anyone have something in a Mahar? Again, I think I may have seen an appropriate stylized parrot head, but could be me dreaming.

Last, is there an Iron Mole in contemplation?

Doug

Offline KD47

• Librarian
  • What is best in life?
Antediluvian makes a Dia miniature, but I'm waiting to see if Crooked Dice has something similar.  Caroline Munro is proof that this brave new modern age we find ourselves in doesn't have the lock on pulchritude.

If you need "not Mahars" then look at Fenris Games "Forge of Ice" Range.   They have something that would not be considered Mahars.    They also have Saleesas (not Sleestaks) if your tastes run in that direction.

Along with all sorts of barbarian Hyborian and earlier age themed stuff.

As for the Iron mole, well..... that'd be a heck of a project.   Probably need 2 models.   1 front end sticking out of the ground for a game starting point and another full model.    I'm currently working on my Post Apocalyptic stuff so this would be long-term build.   Anyone out there know of a pre-built model that'd be suitable?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 12:55:32 AM by KD47 »

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
my goodness - have missed those figures somehow (as the films are favourites of mine).

they really nailed both mcClure and Cushing.
Lovely paint-jobs.

Offline KD47

• Librarian
  • What is best in life?
Warlords of Atlantis Atlantean Master and his Homeboys
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2021, 11:20:55 PM »
Hello All,

I've been "diversifying my portfolio" a bit.   Here are the latest minis.   From the movie Warlords of Atlantis comes Atmir, the Atlantean unit leader and his group of slave soldiers.   One of the most memorable features of the soldiers from the movie is their reflective helmet.    So I picked up "The Mirroriest Mirror paint" online.   This was brushed on to the helmet as a LAST step, done after flat/sealing.   Let it cure thoroughly.

The Mirroriest Mirror paint is pretty mirrory.  Even more mirrorier than the fairly silverish chrome spray paint from Testors, and excellent at mirroring light and external images, which is proof that even a rank amateur such as myself can make up and twist words, not just people who are trying to sell you something.     

Anyhow, here they are:
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 11:25:29 PM by KD47 »

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: You can't Mesmerize me.....I'm British! Doug McClure and Peter Cushing
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2021, 05:20:29 AM »
Excellent and that mirror effect works very well  8)