Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:40:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686665
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 817
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What are some good versatile rules to use with the Marvel Crisi Protocol mini's  (Read 2492 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Here was my take on Fistful of Kung Fu..... I hope that helps. 

https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/search?q=fistful+of+kung+fu

I couldn't resist 'biting' on this point! ;)

Also, what is the deal with only straight line movement allowed?  If you are moving blocks of troops around, sure that makes sense.  These are individual people doing things.  The straight line only movement is weird and ‘gamey’ to me.

The straight-line movement is definitely a 'feature, not a bug' of the SoBH systems. Essentially, it means that you have to spend two actions to move round a corner or out of hiding. So if you want to do that and also attack, you need to roll the full three dice for that character (with a higher chance of ending your turn). But you get rewarded for that by the Ambush rule, which gives you +1 in both shooting or melee if you weren't in line of sight of your opponent at the start of your turn. So it encourages players to think about using terrain and to take risks to pull off striking feats (leaping out of hiding onto an enemy, etc.).

Another way of thinking about it is that you pay an extra action because you have to pause and look round the corner. If you move to a point you can see, it doesn't have to be in a straight line - it's just measured that way with the sticks for simplicity. Either way, it does add a nice tactical dimension to the game. And measuring sticks are much quicker and easier than rulers!

More broadly, I'd say that the common criticism of the SoBH system - too many special rules - doesn't hold water in practice. Of all the wargames I've played, I'd say that SoBH is the one that needs the least rulebook consultation once you've played a game or two. Most of our games involve none. That's because most of the special rules are intuitive (e.g. Big gives you +1 in combat against smaller foes but also gives foes +1 when they shoot at you; all kills by Savage characters are 'gruesome kills'; Free Disengage avoids a 'free hack', and so on).

I'd also say that it's one of the most replayable games out there - not least because of the minimal time it takes to stat up a force and get it on the table.