Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:05:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689744
  • Total Topics: 118292
  • Online Today: 821
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Shadowgrave? Spellcaster? *grave games crossover potential? GG’s FG rambling…  (Read 5293 times)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
We added the Gothic Horror set to our Blacklist Games Lasting Tales KS… fulfillment is quite some time away but that should fill any gaps on our collection. Nothing in this hobby seems quick to me.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
It will be interesting to see where Stargrave goes but it is The Silver Bayonet that really has me sitting on the edge of my seat.
Same here!

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
Nothing in this hobby seems quick to me.

Haven't been watching GW's insane release rate since the shutdown ended, have you?  :)

Seriously, they're choking both their end customers and the indie stores with far too many releases all crowded together, despite the fact that they can't keep their existing catalog in production properly.  Something's gotta give sooner or later. 

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Well, I decided to take the plunge and got Spellcaster issues 1 to 6.

They have been good enough to leave me wanting more. I really hope Joe decides to keep adding to the collection.

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
  • Rolling 1s so you don't have to since '95
    • Home of the ARBBL
Has there been any previews/discussion on The Silver Bayonet? To be honest, I had to search what you were on about as it had passed me by entirely!

The premise sounds really interesting, but if it's another game using the *Grave rules I'll probably pass, not because I don't like *Grave games, but because I already have 3 or 4 like it (depnding on whether you cound GA as a separate game or not).
Home of the ARBBL
"I survived the 525"

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
There is not much info out yet.

So far I have heard it is largely a clue discovery game, solo and co-op friendly, sounding a lot like Rangers of Shadow Deep to me but perhaps with lessons learned from what has been popular from Stargrave.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
So after seeing this video about the Blaster magazines, I am even more keen to get my hands on Joe’s Mythos rules additions.

My wife and I have had 3 games of Frostgrave and loving the game. She is ok with the base game but me, I want to add every bit of all the extra stuff that has come out. So Blaster 2 and 3 are on my wish list now.

And I hope Joe adds Mythos to The Silver Bayonet and Stargrave at some point.

Speaking of The Silver Bayonet, it seems from a recent video from Osprey to be an evolution of Rangers of Shadow Deep but with some Core Game mechanic changes.

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
I would be interested in Shadowgrave too. But to be honest, the Blaster is just too expensive, if Im only interested in one part of it (even so, that I know, that it supports the writers much better, then conventional publishing). I wish there would be a Shadowgrave book...

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
My too. Maybe if enough folks ask Joe nicely he will cater to our request?

Maybe if I fall into some surplus finances I can buy the Blasters to support the other game designers as well, but yeah, I am only really playing Joe’s games, MESBG and Core Space these days.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 08:29:10 AM by Grumpy Gnome »

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
I would be interested in Shadowgrave too. But to be honest, the Blaster is just too expensive, if Im only interested in one part of it (even so, that I know, that it supports the writers much better, then conventional publishing). I wish there would be a Shadowgrave book...

That's been my sticking point as well.  I used to buy gaming mags even if 90% of the contents were nothing I really cared about, but that was back when issues cost $3 or so.  For what Blaster costs it needs to be 100% useful to me, even allowing for inflation over the passage of decades.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Mrs. GG and I got our 4th game of Frostgrave in and are loving it.

Blacklist miniatures makes some great Vapor Snakes… but I wish they made larger ones as well. How often have folks needed more than 5 Vapor Snakes?

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
    • Home of the ARBBL
The Silver Bayonet:

Having now watched this video I'm more intrigued, but still not sold. Seems closer to Rangers (unit creation, clues, campaign) but with a pvp addition (along with the random monsters) and a different combat system (will have to re-watch, as I'm not sure if they mean it's a D10 system or a 2D10 system for combat).

At the moment, interest is piqued, but I'll watch some more of their videos to see how it goes on.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
I am curious how adversarial the players are meant to be.

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
    • Home of the ARBBL
From their flipthrough, there's 10 pvp scenarios and 10 solo.
The pvp ones I guess will be like Frostgrave (they said the win conditions were remove the opposing unit or complete the scenario objectives).
The solo ones I wonder if they can be played co-op like Rangers, or whether is a true solo set-up.

Offline Psychopomp

• Librarian
I find that I'm just plain greedy and also hoping for a Galaxy Rangers of the Shadow Zone, to do for Stargrave what RoSD does for Frostgrave.

Of course, 5 Parsecs might scratch that itch just as well.