Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:53:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: F&I War Québec 1759 - Scenario and battle  (Read 4217 times)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Re: F&I War Québec 1759 - Scenario and battle
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2021, 07:58:19 PM »
Looks great! Thanks for the report.

Thank you! I'm glad you liked it!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2021, 08:02:12 PM »
That was WONDERFULLY inspiring. The gallant little warriors are BEATIFULLY painted & the setting is GORGEOUS. That is war gaming at it's finest.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2021, 08:16:17 PM »
That was WONDERFULLY inspiring. The gallant little warriors are BEATIFULLY painted & the setting is GORGEOUS. That is war gaming at it's finest.

It was my pleasure to share! Thank you for the morale boost!

Offline Unlucky General

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2021, 10:34:31 PM »
I've been crawling toward re-fighting this battle for over ten years now and only near 60% there. Great exposition and wonderful to see the whole battle laid out like that. Thanks very much - that was a treat.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2021, 03:33:42 AM »
Wonderful to see this battle on the tabletop. One day I hope to make it to see the citadel and the old city.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2021, 10:31:15 AM »
I've been crawling toward re-fighting this battle for over ten years now and only near 60% there. Great exposition and wonderful to see the whole battle laid out like that. Thanks very much - that was a treat.

Thank you for your kind words! It is great to know that my presentation serves as an inspiration! Cheers!

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2021, 10:35:43 AM »
Wonderful to see this battle on the tabletop. One day I hope to make it to see the citadel and the old city.

Thank you! The Kronoskaf article was so well-written that I felt the need to make a map for Kronoskaf, then a scenario and finally play a game.
The scenario map I provided at the start of this post is too large, only the middle portion is needed for the game to be played.
It would be wonderful to see another game played with Quebec's walls featuring on table, although the fortifications of the city did not play a role for the battle.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2021, 02:11:57 AM »
It seems the battle is weighted towards the English; is my impression incorrect? If it is not, did you do anything to mitigate that?

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2021, 02:51:43 PM »
The actual battle was weighted towards the British. They had a slight advantage in numbers but with the exception of the Rangers, all of their troops were regulars in an open field fight. Motncalm believed that the British had entrenching tools and would dig in if allowed to. Wolfe had neglected to bring the tools and had only just sent for them. Montcalm had more troops in the lines above Beauport and of course Bouganville's detachment in Wolfe's rear.

When I played my much more modest version of this battle, the French were broken rapidly, though the British left flank was handled roughly. In my game both commanders lived to argue about it in pamphlets after the war. Details of my 2019 game are here http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/2018/12/aar-plains-of-abraham-1759.html
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2021, 05:45:11 PM »
It seems the battle is weighted towards the English; is my impression incorrect? If it is not, did you do anything to mitigate that?

Weighted towards the English, true!
Some attempts to mitigate it:
One French field artillery battery at each flank. Actually there were a couple of guns at each side.
The presence of cornfields at the left French flank, woods at the right (where light troops can be shooting without taking many casualties) and I  put a small farm (all soft cover)
The what-if arrival of Bougainville. If it is timely, the French can get almost even. Actually, Bougainville arrived too late in the actual battle and he was reluctant to aid Montcalm, it seems that there was a feud between them.
Finally, if the French do not break in 10 rounds, there would be a marginal French victory (my scenario victory conditions).

In our game, the British victory was not so easy as it seemed to be. If the British had lost one unit more, they were very close to lose the game.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 05:53:15 PM by DintheDin »

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2021, 05:47:39 PM »
The actual battle was weighted towards the British. They had a slight advantage in numbers but with the exception of the Rangers, all of their troops were regulars in an open field fight. Motncalm believed that the British had entrenching tools and would dig in if allowed to. Wolfe had neglected to bring the tools and had only just sent for them. Montcalm had more troops in the lines above Beauport and of course Bouganville's detachment in Wolfe's rear.

When I played my much more modest version of this battle, the French were broken rapidly, though the British left flank was handled roughly. In my game both commanders lived to argue about it in pamphlets after the war. Details of my 2019 game are here http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/2018/12/aar-plains-of-abraham-1759.html

Thank you for commenting! I know that you had studied this battle well and I had enjoyed your 2019 battle report, very inspiring! Cheers!

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2021, 12:29:06 AM »

Finally, if the French do not break in 10 rounds, there would be a marginal French victory (my scenario victory conditions).
That seems reasonable- that makes it more interesting for the French I imagine.

Offline miltiades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2021, 01:28:27 PM »
Awesome pictures and a great battle report Dinos. As always...

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2021, 03:55:26 PM »
Awesome pictures and a great battle report Dinos. As always...

Dear fiend, I am happy you were there and we played this battle, I wanted to play long ago!

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2021, 05:17:34 PM »
 :o :o Very impressive, thanks for sharing. Definitely different from most FIW games!

"Tout ça a commencé sur les plaines d'Abraham" as in Robert Charlebois' song...  :D