Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:44:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Sludge - 10mm thoughts and figures  (Read 2752 times)

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Sludge - 10mm thoughts and figures
« on: July 18, 2021, 08:55:00 AM »
Inspired by Ogrob’s excellent army on this thread https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=131883.0

I have bought a copy of the Sludge rules (in Blaster magazine) and have started thinking about how to put some forces together in 10mm. Whilst Sludge is certainly written (and illustrated) with 28mm figures in mind, there is nothing that makes in a 28mm rule-set, indeed it uses multi-based figures, and most of my gaming is in 10mm, so its my natural choice.

From looking at unit sizes and typical bases sizes, my plan is to stick with the base sizes in the rules, but to double up the figure count. So a 20mm base will get 2 x 10mm figures, and a 40mm line regiment base will get 6 figures.

Where I am torn is whether to go square bases or round bases. I have huge amounts of figures for different armies already based on 40mm square bases, and many of these cover the ‘period’ that Sludge is based around - “knights and firearms” as it is summarised in the rules.

But these figures tend to be a much high density (often 10-16 figures per base) than I’m thinking for Sludge, and perhaps more significantly they are all a bit bright and colourful. So not really very Sludge like.

All the examples in the rules are of figures on round bases, and the look good, and I do like the look of round bases. But I am aware that if I build a couple of sludge forces on round bases they will be orphaned from being able to be used with all the rest of my square based stuff. I’m not sure this is a major problem, but being able to use square based figures is more likely to get my gaming buddies involved. But any of our existing armies would need additions of smaller based units (skirmishers and elites) to build a sludge force.

I think I am leaning towards round bases.

But I’m also aware I have a lot of late war WWI figures on 30mm square bases, who almost be definition fit the feeling of sludge! Adding a few knights to WWI forces also seems possible. But perhaps I will keep this as a separate thought - as these are already a distinct set of figures from the earlier period ones.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Sludge - 10mm thoughts and figures
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 10:02:03 AM »
Some WIP pictures of figures for my first faction

The whole lot, going for a dark grey main clothing colour with dark for turbans and some highlights. Mainly brass for metal work. These figures should give me 6 bases of crossbow armed line infantry, 12 of skirmishers and 6 of shock infantry, pulse a few command figures.

TB Line crossbow troops

Pendraken NW Frontier figures

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 05:38:22 PM »
More work on the figures today. Getting there on the main colours. Need to pick out some more bits of equipment then give everything a brown wash.

Tried a green wash on the shields so will see how that comes out before doing the helmets.

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2021, 08:02:16 PM »
 They look really good.

Online Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2021, 08:43:36 PM »
Off to a good start! I think you are right in round bases, if the minis and the basing style are going to be different from your historical forces anyway, go with round bases!

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2021, 08:53:16 PM »
Thanks both

Yes, I’m pretty certain I’ll go with round bases - as you say the overall look and style is going to be different

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2021, 12:10:47 PM »
Nice mate! I opted for 20mm squares with 4 on them that will still work for sludge, turnip28 and more regular black powder rulesets. I've only done line infantry so far, not sure what to do about the 'individually based' minis - maybe 2s on 20mm squares

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2021, 06:38:28 PM »
Thanks

I’ve done 4 x 10mm figures on 20mm square bases before (WSS for Maurice) but ultimately found the bases a bit fiddly when  playing, so happy to stick with 40mm bases. I’ve got circular ones on order, just waiting for them to be sent and then arrive. First batch of infantry are pretty much done, short of basing.

Cleaned up some mounted knights last night. Just looking at options (in the lead pile) for other cavalry, not sure whether to use camels or not.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2021, 06:06:33 PM »
It’s taken a while for the additional bases to arrive - but I did at least have lots of figures ready to base up when they arrived.

Crossbow armed line infantry, shock troops and arcanists

The line infantry are on the larger bases, there are 8 bases of 5-6 figures, this will give me a couple of units, as a unit is from 3-6 bases.

6 bases of shock troops on 20mm bases with 2 figures, again 3-6 bases make a unit. And 3 arcanists who are single figures.

Skirmishers

12 bases of skirmishers, with 2 figures per base, these will give 2-3 units of troops

The next units, light cavalry and foot knights, plus some casualty figures to make gore markers

I also have some mounted knights in progress, though they seem to have evaded the camera.

Online Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2021, 07:48:20 AM »
Good progress! I think lots of Gore will be needed.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2021, 04:13:47 PM »
Good progress! I think lots of Gore will be needed.

Thanks - how many gore tokens do you think will be needed? I’ve just started on 6 x 1 value ones

Finished off the basing on the infantry, added some different brown shades, tufts and even a bit of water effects (this hasn’t been that effective)

The whole force (so far)

Crossbow armed Line Infantry

Skirmishers, 2-3 units worth

Shock troops

Another high level view

Working on the cavalry at the minute

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2021, 06:31:55 PM »
Lovely job mate, these look ace.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2021, 07:05:26 PM »
Lovely job mate, these look ace.

Thanks! I’m liking how these look.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2021, 07:53:08 PM »
I got the cavalry and some foot knights painted and based, and with a bit of sunshine the other day, took some photos.

Feeling that this forces is getting pretty close to done - I’ve got one more Line Infantry unit to do, and could add more mounted or foot knights if needed. Then I need to think about the opposition!

Line infantry, Jaegers, Shock Infantry and Commanders

Knights, Light Cavalry, Foot Knights and gore tokens

Knights - these are TB Line figures

Gore tokens (a key part of the rules) and Foot Knights (more TB Line figures - I really like these models)

Line Infantry - armed with Crossbows (TB Line)

Jägers - Pendraken NW Frontier figures (and possibly others)

Mages and Commanders

In Sludge most units consist of 3-6 bases (chosen by the player) so with most of these figures I can do 1 large or 2 medium sized units.

Online Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2021, 03:34:34 PM »
They've come together well, a solid looking force. Really like the gore tokens.