Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 11:56:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689348
  • Total Topics: 118276
  • Online Today: 648
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Suggestions for Colonial skirmish games?  (Read 5625 times)

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
Suggestions for Colonial skirmish games?
« on: July 20, 2021, 06:00:37 AM »
I am looking to see what rules folks on the forum have to recommend for small scale skirmish games set in the late 19th century through the early 20th century. I am thinking for 20-70 minis on the table. Many thanks.
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Suggestions for Colonial skirmish games?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 06:42:42 AM »
The Men Who Would be Kings from the Osprey wargames rules series. Possibly a little higher figure count than you are suggesting, but around those numbers.

Give a good game, seems to balance native vs European forces reasonably well.

Offline SPQR7070

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 06:56:37 AM »
Seconding TMWWBK. There are a few rules that might need a little house-ruling (like how pinning works), but overall it's a very fast and fun game to pick up and play.

Offline sjwalker51

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 07:13:54 AM »
Another vote for MWWBK - fast moving and readily tweaked if you want to add a bit more detail to particular periods.

Sharp Practice is great for earlier (pre-1860) Colonial actions, but rather more detailed than the above.

Offline Umra Khan

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 07:29:26 AM »
TSATF ( The Sword and The Flame ) with 10 figures per unit plus the use of D20 gave a good solution.
many companions sets, Sword in Palestine, Sword in Adventure...Sword in Tibet just few.

Offline giorgio

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 08:39:31 AM »
Tmwwbk battles are well balanced and results uncertain very often up to the last dice. You can play skirmish mode with half numbers otherwise you need approx 36 infantry and 8 lancers against less than 1 hundred pathans

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 09:29:47 AM »
Both of the above are good sets which capture the flavour of the period.  Basing for one would allow you to play the other and neither really worry which size of figures you use.

TMWWBK is from Osprey and readily available as a kindle/epub version too.

TSATF is (I think, please correct if I'm wrong here) still paper.

Both are well covered by variants and suggestions for theatres and campaigns (TMWWBK online via forums and TSATF has published supplements).

I liked TSATF when I played, but now use TMWWBK and we have run many games with the latter at our local club, both as planned minicampaigns and simple pickup fights when we dont have anything organised.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 10:49:51 AM »
Another vote for TMWWBKs. They also have a decent set of solo rules included in the rule book for when opponents are in short supply.

Offline Calumma

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2021, 11:52:43 AM »
I also like TMWWBKs. They are a good example of a relatively simple rule set that allows you to focus on the game without getting too bogged down. I’m currently running a campaign using them but the rules are also great for simple pickup games. 

I also play and enjoy Congo. Smaller forces with card driven movement that is based around set scenarios.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2021, 12:22:11 PM »
I also recommend TMWWBK.  Simple rules but with a great deal of flavour.  Easily adapted for any period across the time frame you have indicated and with potential to run campaign games as well.

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2021, 12:31:51 PM »
I second Umra Khan suggestion..TSATF
very amusing..easy to learn and written in a friendly fashion..which is not the case of the clumsy and glossy TMWWBK...in my opionion practically all today's skirmish rules sets are rubish  ..aiming at  less educated (in wargame and historical therms) masses ...if you ..like me and a few of us cannot stand the masses and the plebs..choose the snobbish, meritocratic and NON politically correct  TSATF  ;) :) :)
by the way i also suggest you to have a look at classic/vintage colonial skirmish rules ,..apparently complicated but really good and detailed..such as those included in Donald Featherstone "Skirmish Wargame" or even the really difficult to find (but i can furnish a copy) "Colonial Skirmish Rules" by Mark Blake ecc..which is a sort of small gem to read even if you'll never game with it:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/25814/rules-conduction-colonial-period-skirmish-wargames
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 12:36:56 PM by italwars »

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2021, 09:56:41 AM »
I second Umra Khan suggestion..TSATF
very amusing..easy to learn and written in a friendly fashion..which is not the case of the clumsy and glossy TMWWBK...in my opionion practically all today's skirmish rules sets are rubish  ..aiming at  less educated (in wargame and historical therms) masses ...if you ..like me and a few of us cannot stand the masses and the plebs..choose the snobbish, meritocratic and NON politically correct  TSATF  ;) :) :)
by the way i also suggest you to have a look at classic/vintage colonial skirmish rules ,..apparently complicated but really good and detailed..such as those included in Donald Featherstone "Skirmish Wargame" or even the really difficult to find (but i can furnish a copy) "Colonial Skirmish Rules" by Mark Blake ecc..which is a sort of small gem to read even if you'll never game with it:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/25814/rules-conduction-colonial-period-skirmish-wargames

Given the number of likes for TMWWBK compared to TSATF, it seems the 'masses' have spoken.  :D :D :D :D

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2021, 11:28:50 AM »
I’m frankly astonished we have only had two suggestions from about 10 people! Normally these questions lead to umpteen suggestions.

So not sure if Colonial gaming is much more consistent on rule sets used, or there is just less choice?

Offline pauld

• Scientist
  • Being disintegrated makes me very angry!
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2021, 11:51:39 AM »
I’m frankly astonished we have only had two suggestions from about 10 people!

OK, I'll bite.

Quite narrow in respect of troop types and region being a small scale skirmish ruleset centred on Colonial African adventures (however I have seen people take it outside it's original scope successfully with a little work and proxying).

CONGO

A fabulous game but, to be fair, more akin to a wargame/boardgame/pulp mash up compared to a straight battle game. 

However it delivers great narrative stories set in a period and setting I love.

The rules are wonderfully produced too and a pleasure to read/flip through.

No dear, they are not toys, they are models

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2021, 11:56:31 AM »
I’m frankly astonished we have only had two suggestions from about 10 people! Normally these questions lead to umpteen suggestions.

So not sure if Colonial gaming is much more consistent on rule sets used, or there is just less choice?

I think TSATF has been a staple in colonial skirmishing gaming for a long time and TMWWBKs has become popular since its release. The OP did seem to be looking for something generic. If they had said he was looking more specifically, at say Darkest Africa, I might have suggested Chris Peers In the Heart of Africa ( or possibly Congo)  but I'm not sure colonial gaming is blessed with an abundance of skirmish rule sets.