Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:37:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Flock storage  (Read 2310 times)

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
Flock storage
« on: July 23, 2021, 10:36:26 PM »
Dear LAF

The story in brief is that I've managed to accumulate a huge amount of flocks (scatters, sands, snow, leaf litter...). How I've been storing them is a mish-mash of ad hoc solutions, including a large cardboard box where bags leak and I can't even find what I need. Now I've finally managed to acquire a nice array of roller cabinets, which solve one part of the general problem (which also covers paints and tools). However, the smaller-scale one still remains.

I'd assume that anyone with enough hobby years under their belt has had some kind of flock disaster and knows how tedious the clean-up work can be, especially if wet paint was also present. You probably know as well that often the original bags are non-resealable and generally inconvenient for repeated access and use. To have a modest amount of numerous flocks readily available, I think I'd need something that is:
  • Shallow and wide to maximise access while minimising the volume
  • Separate containers, because it's unlikely that I'd need or want the same assortment on my table every time
  • Closing tightly, see disasters
  • Preferably transparent to see what's inside
  • Stacking nicely so that I can have a few of those in a sturdy pile in the cabinet
  • Cheap enough even in large quantities
I've been using various dairy product containers (note: emptied first) for that purpose. They're close but not exactly perfect. Has anyone come up with a really neat solution? I have a feeling that often such solutions involves something related to jewellery or glitter-like stuff, but maybe not always? Please enlighten me if you know something that I don't. Thanks. :)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: Flock storage
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 11:06:27 PM »
The rectangular plastic tubs that takeaways come in are widely used throughout my home for various bits and pieces, including flock storage. They're free with the food (or the food comes free with them) or you can buy them quite cheaply from most big supermarkets.

If you're feeling flush, Lock&Lock boxes are very good, or the various knock-off versions.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 01:04:24 AM »
I use a variety of jars and plastic self-seal boxes for my flocks and what-not, but the three flock colours I use most together I store in a click-seal plastic lunch box with three compartments.

Static grass I keep in little herb jars with shaker lids, so I can sift it directly from the jar on to the model over a sheet of paper. Then I just return the overflow to the jar from the paper via a funnel.

Offline Fred Mills

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2021, 03:13:37 AM »
I use Glis stackable multi-compartment boxes from Ikea, at $6 a pop. They store multiple bags per box.

Offline MagpieJono

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2021, 08:01:04 AM »
The rectangular plastic tubs that takeaways come in are widely used throughout my home for various bits and pieces, including flock storage. They're free with the food (or the food comes free with them) or you can buy them quite cheaply from most big supermarkets.

If you're feeling flush, Lock&Lock boxes are very good, or the various knock-off versions.

Yep,  Chinese takeaway tubs are absolutely perfect for flock storage and use.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2021, 08:33:27 AM »
Yep,  Chinese takeaway tubs are absolutely perfect for flock storage and use.

Yes.

Although word to the wise, don’t have a desk fan too close when opening them up as the bloody stuff goes everywhere  lol
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2021, 09:23:58 AM »
In the end I poured all of my flock, tans, greens, greys and browns into one container and mixed it up.  Same for all my static grass and coloured sawdust in their separate containers.  I found it gives me a nice random more natural mix on bases.  Not the snow of course but everything else. 
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Online 2010sunburst

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2021, 10:04:37 AM »
Another plus one here for take away containers.  They hold a bag of Javis flock  easily, and are wide enough to hold the model above while flocking so they catch the “waste” as you generate it.  I usually clip off the original bag label and leave it in the tub so I know what the original flock was when restocking as well.  It saves labelling the top of the container.

Offline Fred Mills

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2021, 11:15:10 AM »
Bravo Six, yes that is the one. They are quite deep and hold a lot. Each has four pegs/legs that slot into the one below, if stacked, and there is a snap close, hinged lid. Not super tight, but tight enough. I also use a label maker to indicate the contents of each bin.

For dipping stands into flock, each is wide enough to do this without taking out the flock. But I also keep a bottle cap in each one, so that I can scoop out a wee bit for more targeted applications.

There are still some mason jars and a few other odd containers lying about, but three of the Glis boxes have maybe 75% of my flock.

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2021, 12:29:26 PM »
Beard creme tins.... lol

Cleaned and dried obviously

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2021, 01:45:49 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions thus far. :) Some quick comments.

• Takeaway tubs: the pack rat in me has been stashing these as well and they started accumulating fairly fast in the work-from-home days. However, the most common kind I get is "grown man's full meal" sized. They can definitely hold a full bag of model grass, no matter which brand, but I'm pretty sure I cannot fit six of those on my already overflowing painting table. Nor dozens of those in a single roller cabinet. I probably have to check and buy smaller kinds separately if I can find any good ones.
  • Multi-bin organisers: possibly good for some purposes. Just see the "separate containers" point in the original post. I'm unsure about convenience and also possible spillage between bins. One hardware store in here is selling smallish 6+1 bin organisers for 99c. Money-wise I could even buy a dedicated one for each of the most popular 30 kinds of flocks I have, but space-wise that would be a bit pointless.
  • Herb shakers: I've been thinking about these and in some cases it might be a good idea. At least there's very little risk of outright disasters as long as you use a kind where the whole lid is screwed on properly. However, if you ever need finger-pinch level of precision or larger amounts, there's some extra hassle, also with returning the excess.
  • Everything mixed up: oh come on, that's a travesty. lol OK, to be honest, I should do more mixing than I do right now, especially with brands which are very flat-coloured by themselves. I'd still prefer to do that case-by-case, though. Laws of thermodynamics state that you cannot separate the types any more when they've reached the maximum entropy. I need very different mixtures for various genres, themes and scales.
  • Beard creme: interestingly, I've also stashed moustache wax tins. ::) They close very tightly, but they're not transparent. Also, they accumulate quite slowly...
Maybe I still have to browse for various food, sauce and herb containers. There might be something useful out there. For example, the small fish sauce tubs I get with Asian food close pretty tightly, which is highly appreciated already in their original use. ;)

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2021, 04:16:19 AM »
If you have 30 kinds of flock the problem’s not with the containers.... ;)

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2021, 04:19:36 AM »
If you have 30 kinds of flock the problem’s not with the containers...

lol lol

Offline Clach Umha

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2021, 04:54:58 AM »
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 04:43:14 AM by Clach Umha »
Getting excited & making jokes about dropping Nepalm on little Asian Children in a Viet' village doesn't make it ok just because 'it's wargaming & not real'. You wanker scum need to look again at the real photographic horror of such chemical weapons. Seriously Disgusting mind set amongst some you.