Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:24:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690921
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Favorite non-Lovecraft Cthulu Mythos stories?  (Read 4771 times)

Offline Hrothgar

• Scientist
  • "We grow old because we stop playing" - GBS
    • Cheshirekat's Hobby Corner
Favorite non-Lovecraft Cthulu Mythos stories?
« on: September 14, 2009, 03:43:11 PM »
Hi there, I am relatively new to Lead Adventure but love this site already.

My purpose for posting: I have read most if not all of Lovecraft's works, some of them several times. Over time, I have read some works by other authors set in the Mythos, for the most part short stories by Brian Lumley.

I didn't realize until recently, while perusing the Cthulu Mythos article on Wikipedia, just how many other works have been added to the Mythos by various authors. It's a little staggering.

So, my question: what are your favorite non-Lovecraft stories of the Cthulu Mythos. I am not really looking for a list of authors who write them, as I have that information already. I am really curious what works read by those here really stand out and which ones you really enjoyed. Also, any notes on why you enjoyed them would be quite helpful, as from your feedback I can work out on just what I should expend my rare reading time.  :D :D :D

Any responses will be most appreciated!

Jason

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
Re: Favorite non-Lovecraft Cthulu Mythos stories?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 04:27:43 PM »
The Black Stone by Robert E. Howard.

I like Howard's writing, and this is one of his mythos books. The story takes the protagonist into the woods and mountains of Hungary, and what he finds is too horrible to fathom! It's a totally Howard book, but written in the manner of Lovecraft. I liked it very much, and will re-read it from time to time. It's not the best written, but the story and ideas it conjures are always good for some inspiration for gaming/rping, etc.

Offline Hrothgar

• Scientist
  • "We grow old because we stop playing" - GBS
    • Cheshirekat's Hobby Corner
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 04:36:24 PM »
That is great to hear, BC! It sounds intriguing-I will check it out.

Any other takers?

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 04:48:00 PM »
Try: The Space-Eaters, by Frank Bellknap Long
...lots of crazy Hyperboria stuff by Clark Ashton Smith is also pretty good...

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 05:29:32 PM »
I've always been partial to A Scream for Jeeves, but then I'm not as hardcore a mythos fan as some demand.

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 06:01:27 PM »
I would advise tracking down a 1993 edition of Ramsey Campbell's Cold Print; it collects together a number of his Mythos short stories, including - most importantly - all those that appeared in 1964's seminal The Inhabitant of the Lake and Less Welcome Tenants where, according to Wikipedia, he introduced a 'fictional milieu [that is] is arguably the most detailed mythos setting outside of Lovecraft Country itself.'  Well-written and, as indicated, an important contribution.

I would also second bc99's recommendation of Howard's work in this area, most of which can be cheaply purchased in a Wordsworth collection titled Haunter of the Ring: And Other Tales

Happy hunting! ;D

Offline elysium64

• Potatoe Cup Holder 2010
  • Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 01:24:34 AM »
I loved the Brian Lumley Titus Crow books, Titus Crow is an occult investigator who along with his Watsonian sidekick De Marigny who during many short stories becomes involved in the Mythos I remember Particularly enjoying "The Burrowers Beneath" all about Cthonians. Having read this thread I am now going to order this book so I can re-read.

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 01:43:31 AM »
I loved the Brian Lumley Titus Crow books, Titus Crow is an occult investigator who along with his Watsonian sidekick De Marigny who during many short stories becomes involved in the Mythos I remember Particularly enjoying "The Burrowers Beneath" all about Cthonians. Having read this thread I am now going to order this book so I can re-read.

And I've just put this book on my must buy list!

Sounds interesting!

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 01:58:58 AM »
The Burrowers Beneath is a great book...kinda peeters out at the end but still pretty good mythos stuff. The rest of the Titus Crow stuff is a little 'out there' for my taste. Time traveling clocks and android hearts and the gods of humanity... ??? Lumley has some really great short stories thou...quite possibly my favorite 'new school' mythos writer. The Taint being a great re-telling of Shadow Over Innsmouth.

Also, not the greatest read but still strangely entertaining is Michael Shea's sequal to The Color Out of Space: The Color Out Of Time.

On a side note I just finished Strange Aeons by Robert Block...pure dung! Absolute garbage featuring a number of historical personalities including Lovecraft himself. It is the only Robert Block book that I've ever read...and I think it will stay that way... :-[

Offline Mysterioso

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 03:12:34 AM »
"The Hounds of Tindalos" by Frank Belknap Long is quite good (and pretty much canon)

In Children of Cthulhu: "Details" by China Mieville

In Song of Cthulhu: "Mud" by Brian McNaughton (and probably could be turned into a Great War miniatures scenario)

"Than Curse the Darkness" by David Drake is a nasty bit of work (and probably could be turned into a Darkest Africa miniatures scenario)

In Shadows Over Baker Street there is a not bad story by Poppy Z. Brite (IIRC)

There is an old Stephen King story "Grey Matter" that is not necessarily Mythos but can't be disqualified either and is quite good.

I would love to read "Sticks" by Karl Edward Wagner but can not find it anywhere.  It is supposed to be superb.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 06:00:02 PM by Mysterioso »

Offline chicklewis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 04:53:48 PM »
Buy and read "I married a Shoggoth" by Jeffrey Thomas. 

Nope, it is NOT the LEAST BIT tongue-in-cheek, suitably filled with summonings, unfulfilled longings, and a terrifically dark ending. 

Included in his volume of short stories: 'Unholy Dimensions' (2005, Mythos Books, 288 pages)

Chick
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 04:58:01 PM by chicklewis »
"Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof."

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 10:36:29 AM »

For me Lumley is awful.Blackwood's The Wendigo is brilliant,tho' perhaps a pre-Cthulu story.Really you cannot go past the Chaosism reprints especially Machen,and if you like literate stuff Dunsany's Pegana stories are good,Lovecraft liked these very much,and did a few Dunsany pastiches.....Dream Quest in the Unknown Kadath (arguably) the most famous.There is however alot of rubbish,early stuff is usually better.Oh dear I just realised I could bang on about this for hours,lupine rambling..........Werewolves and Cthulu,where will it end.......
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 10:56:30 AM »
I am very surprised there is no mention of August Derleth.
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 11:04:45 AM »

Actually so am I. Lurker in the Threshold (a Derleth rewrite) was my introduction into Lovecraft at the age of 14. And my pick's above, pre-mythos stories,am I a Lovecraft beardy? :o ??? :o

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2009, 03:02:55 PM »
I blame Derleth for adding form to a formless universe...also, I think he is a sh#$%y writer...