Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 09:39:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Blam! Blam! Argh! - Anyone play it?  (Read 2293 times)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Blam! Blam! Argh! - Anyone play it?
« on: July 26, 2021, 11:59:51 PM »
Looks like a new gunfight skirmish ruleset by Dan Mersey is coming out in an issue of WI. I’m a fan of the Rampant line so have hopes here. Anyone playtest or have experience with it?

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Re: Blam! Blam! Argh! - Anyone play it?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 05:25:31 AM »
Looks like a new gunfight skirmish ruleset by Dan Mersey is coming out in an issue of WI. I’m a fan of the Rampant line so have hopes here. Anyone playtest or have experience with it?
Sounds intriguing...

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 06:20:15 AM »
read it, not played it
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 07:30:03 AM »
might be fun

will have to get a copy

Offline aktr

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 08:00:47 AM »
I was hoping to get a copy at the weekend but my local smiths still had the previous WI issue in.
I'm looking forward to giving it a try

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 10:24:57 AM »
Herself's just out test flying a new broomstik, so I'm sneaking off to the boozer to peruse August's WI and the freebie...
a full report will be forwarded to HQ upon my return.

;D
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2021, 07:13:08 AM »
The rules are a freebie and will give you a good skirmish game. Nothing new in 'em, and nothing that's not done much better by both FFofL and One Hour Skirmish. The only thing I thought original is the author's gift for inventing new buzz words for old concepts!
The best article in this month's magazine is a tribute to that bloke who once owned it and passed away recently. Apparently, in later years he proof read the magazine, correcting mistakes and reminding mere mortals it was actually Hinchcliff Models. Straight across from this comment is a lovely picture of battling toy sowjers with the caption Hinchcliffe figures...
I thought that was a really nice tribute from the people who had worked with him and knew him.

:)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 07:15:04 AM by Harry Faversham »

Offline danmer

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2021, 12:58:53 PM »

I'll let others comment on whether they like the rules or not, but BBA doesn't fall under the 'Rampant' banner, so maybe hold back your hopes until you've tried them :-)

I have tried my usual 'thing' of simple rules with a few unusual features. In this instance, bidding for initiative. BBA is an excuse to pull out whatever minis you fancy playing with, without any need to buy a new army etc. I got to field my Judge Dredd minis that I've not used for a while.

Offline danmer

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2021, 01:01:59 PM »
The rules are a freebie and will give you a good skirmish game. Nothing new in 'em, and nothing that's not done much better by both FFofL and One Hour Skirmish. The only thing I thought original is the author's gift for inventing new buzz words for old concepts!

Thanks for the feedback. I'm genuinely interested what buzzwords I've invented for old concepts ... I've never consciously done so, so it would be great to find out more. Thanks!

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2021, 03:30:11 PM »
Love it Dan, if you were a fish I wouldn't need any bait, you'd have jumped right into the boat!
I'll have a peruse of the booklet again and get back to you on the words wot tickled my fancy. I was on my forth pint when I read 'em, so might be apologising through a mouthful of 'umble pie.

:'(

Offline danmer

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2021, 04:01:13 PM »
That could be good or bad, depending on what sort of fish I am!

There will be no need for any humble pie, like I say I am genuinely interested.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2021, 08:22:45 AM »
That could be good or bad, depending on what sort of fish I am!

EEK!!!

:o

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2021, 02:06:10 PM »
Here's an updated perusal without the benefit of the lager fumes wafting about in mi' melon...
I'm old enough to recall the days when all wargame magazines had at least a couple of practical rulesets each issue. Those days are long gone. 'Blam! Blam! Argh!' and 'Billhooks' are a nice reminder of yesteryear...
If you've never had a pop at skirmishing, you'll want to, after reading these rules. I'm not a fan of the gridded table suggested in this game, you don't fill a space with great looking scatter, then tun it into a draughtboard. it's optional, and will certainly speed up manic gunplay. The rules will give a game where you'll get all the action and unpredictable disasters which makes skirmishing such a satisfying pastime. Half way through reading 'em you will be itching to dig out some shootists and get blasting.
Now for the foot in the mouth bit, bear in mind when I initially read the rules, it was under the influence of a mind altering drug.
Attack and Protect dice for the age old 'strike/defence values' made me giggle, as did Get Psyched Up for going 'berserk':-X
To conclude, like all of Dan's rules there's plenty of wiggle room to bolt your own bits on, so another tick for tinkerers. I'd buy the mag for these rules on their own, nowhere will you get anything as good for a fiver!

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2021, 03:33:26 PM »
These rules sound perfect as half way through my read of Lion Rampant, I wanted to drag models out and play, so glad to see the same level of ease and enthusiasm carry over to this ruleset as well.

If only this issue were available in the US....

Offline danmer

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2021, 10:58:05 AM »
Interesting Harry, thanks!

I miss the days of free rules in magazines, so this was my crack at doing something about it.

If you/anyone gives them a go, I hope you enjoy them.