Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:29:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690808
  • Total Topics: 118351
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Bugman's Lament: Dwarfs vs Goblins in the Old World-Brewery Complete!  (Read 9116 times)

Online zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
Re: Bugman's Lament: Dwarfs vs Goblins in the Old World
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2021, 10:12:06 AM »
Not sure how I managed to miss this thread, but those buildings look excellent.

I have a few Hirst Arts Molds and some dental plaster in the loft, but haven't done anything with them for years. I remember the pain of trying to make buildings, but I may try to at least get a few walls built.

Looking forward to seeing the finished brewery

Offline Davout

• Librarian
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2021, 01:26:58 AM »
Not sure how I managed to miss this thread, but those buildings look excellent.

I have a few Hirst Arts Molds and some dental plaster in the loft, but haven't done anything with them for years. I remember the pain of trying to make buildings, but I may try to at least get a few walls built.

Looking forward to seeing the finished brewery

There is a learning curve for sure. The bricks aren't Lego, and a small error over time can add up to some weird outcomes. I think the molds shine best when building ruins as the errors can get covered up or just made into smashed corners.

I've built a number of large structures before and I'm going to try a different method for the brewery that will hopefully result in dwarf strait walls.

Offline Davout

• Librarian
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2021, 02:06:59 AM »
Reached a nice milestone today, I finally finished the last of the goblin figs for the campaign (and my goblin army in general). I started these guys in March 2020 (COVID lockdown for the win!) and have been working away on them at a steady pace. The army is made up of mostly early 2000's GW plastic goblins with some newer models thrown in here and there. Easy models to paint in large groups and they look nice ranked up.

There are a few minor conversions in this unit, some blade swaps using random sword bits and head swaps from the new Squig Hoppers kit. 

With the miniatures for the campaign wrapped up (mostly) I'm hoping to be able to focus on the brewery and post some progress this weekend. 

Offline Davout

• Librarian
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2021, 01:35:50 AM »
One of the basic terrain features I've lacked for a long time has been some basic trees. The Bugman's campaign was a good excuse to put some stands together. I used Woodland Scenic's tree armatures based on card with spackle for texture.

I went with the fall colors because I'm kind of a geek for fall and I like the way they contrast with the grey of the tower.

They were easy to put together and paint up though the application of the foliage was a huge messy pain. I'm pretty happy with the results and expect these trees to see a lot of use across a variety of games. 

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2021, 07:52:18 AM »
Looking good. Nice, vibrant colours.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Davout

• Librarian
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2021, 03:55:38 AM »
Update...again! I've got a few days off of school and am trying to take advantage of the extra time by getting some hobby done and finish up this brewery. I've completed the first wall of the first building (11 more to go  :) ). Looking at the pictures in the original White Dwarf the brewery buildings have a lot iron work detail on the exterior. I've tried replicating this using the industrial Hirst Arts molds and I'm pretty happy with the result.

Hopefully more tomorrow! 

Offline Davout

• Librarian
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2021, 11:10:37 PM »
it's coming together...finally.

Building 1 is done. I'm going to do all the roofs and interior detail when the walls have been completed.

Offline Davout

• Librarian
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2021, 06:29:42 PM »
I'm on fire! Building #2 is done. Went for a low and long look with this one. As usual everything has been made with Hirst Arts molds with the exception of the cans which were formally cans of tomato paste.

Ran out of bricks so it's back to the casting table, I'm hoping to have building 3 done this week and the whole thing ready for painting by the weekend.

Offline Tordelback

• Student
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2021, 09:24:16 AM »
Love the mix of in industrial ironwork and austere monastic masonry. Apposite, and quite superb.

Offline Davout

• Librarian
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2021, 11:41:46 PM »
Starting to see the end of the road with this project. I'm working on building three (first floor done) and adding roofs the existing buildings. I've always loved the idea of working with sheet styrene but I've never been one of those modeling wizards who seem to be able to build almost anything with it. The roofs look ok, as long as you don't look to close. They are removable so I can always try and do better next time.

One major milestone, I may (really hoping here) have enough blocks to finish. No more casting!

Online zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2021, 09:31:53 AM »
So. Many. Blocks :o

It's looking really nice. Now you just have to paint the thing :D Oh, and store it somewhere...

Offline Davout

• Librarian
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2021, 01:56:02 PM »
So. Many. Blocks :o

It's looking really nice. Now you just have to paint the thing :D Oh, and store it somewhere...

Painting should go fast. One of the great things about the Hirst Arts blocks is how well they take a simple dry brush paint job.

As for storage the whole thing comes apart which makes it less of a pain to store (hopefully).

Offline Davout

• Librarian
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2021, 07:48:53 PM »
And in overly optimistic predictions proved wrong today I have to...cast more blocks  :'(

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2021, 10:46:37 PM »
Well it is worth it as it is all looking fantastic. 

Offline Davout

• Librarian
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2021, 03:24:25 AM »
I managed to finish the inner walls today before running out of blocks. It's very much starting to take its final form.

I think I have the right parts to finish the outer gate, that and the final floor of building three and this thing will be ready for paint!