Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:17:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685058
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Bugman's Lament: Dwarfs vs Goblins in the Old World-Brewery Complete!  (Read 8844 times)

Offline Davout

• Librarian
I first saw the Bugman's Lament campaign in the pages of White Dwarf way back in the early 2000's. I loved the narrative aspect of the games and how the results of one game flowed into the next (I was relatively new to war gaming so the concept was novel to me). However, at the time I was exclusively an infrequent 40K player so I bought the magazines and filed the project away in the "maybe someday" file.

Fast forward to 2015 and GW had blown up the Old World and I had started to venture outside the GW bubble when it came to rules. I really enjoyed Lion Rampant and was excited when the fantasy version of the rules came out in the form of Dragon Rampant. With these rules in hand I dug out my old White Dwarfs and went on a bit of a model buying binge with the intention of finally playing through the campaign.

My grand plans were quickly derailed with some big family upheavals and a move away from my gaming group. Despite some rough times my plans for the campaign were never far from my mind and I worked away painting up the pile of figures I had acquired. Fast forward to summer 2021 and I'm back at home and ready to wrap up the final phase of this project.

All the dwarfs have been painted and unit profiles created for the units in Dragon Rampant. I've got 4 more units of greenskins to paint up, a few major pieces of terrain and play test the four individual scenarios to get the balance right.  I'm hoping to be able to host my friends sometime in late October or early November.

And now some pictures!

The inspiration for this multi year project

My painting area, with a unit of Night Goblins waiting to be based

What's left to paint,minus a few odds and ends

The always messy terrain area, really happy to have a garage again (so is my girlfriend)

My expert blue prints for the two major buildings I need to construct. A watch tower and the brewery itself.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 02:16:58 AM by Davout »

Offline Doom Beard 78

• Scientist
Re: Bugman's Lament: Dwarfs vs Goblins in the Old World
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 04:52:39 PM »
which white dwarf issues featured that campaign? It sounds like its going to be great. Why use Dragon Rampant rather than WFB though

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 05:43:00 PM »
which white dwarf issues featured that campaign?

Pretty sure it was 298, 299, 300, and 302.  There's a decent synopsis of the individual games here:

http://www.bugmansbrewery.com/topic/27220-bugmans-lament/

Offline Davout

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 06:26:39 PM »
Chief Lackey Rich: You are correct, those are the WD issues.

Doom Beard: Simple answer really, by the time I started getting into WHFB they'd ended the game and started up AOS. In addition, I've never really had a bad game of Dragon Rampant and it seemed the perfect "scale" for this campaign, which doesn't so much have massed armies facing off against each other but rather small to large war bands. DR is also rather easy to learn which is important as I'll be providing both forces for the campaign.

Offline Davout

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 10:41:47 PM »
I've started work on the first major piece of terrain needed for the campaign, Skeggi's Watch Tower. I use Hirst Arts molds to cast the bricks and base on card (in this case a USPS flat rate box).

I've laid out the initial outline of the build

and glued in the foundations and floor bricks and started to plan out where I want my windows.

My version differs from the original as I'm not going to have the lower portion built into rock. The rectangular portion will be about twice the height of the 1/2 octagon. Each section should have plenty of floor space to hold a standard 12 figure unit.

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2021, 10:56:34 PM »
Following with interest and curious to see what will become of this!
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2021, 11:15:40 PM »
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with as As the original Bugmans back story is one of two that inspired my dwarf armies( Prince Ulthars being the other).

I never actually managed to buy Bugmans regiment of renowned. Although I do have the brewery dray and some inebriated dwarves. I opted for an expanded unit of Prince Ulthars Dragon guard. As. Bugmans never came back into stock.
So I'll live vicariously throught your progress.

Offline Davout

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2021, 05:15:54 PM »

Quick update on Skeggi's Tower. First floor is done and now I need to go back and cast some more bricks. I'm also thinking about what kind of details to add to the interior and exterior to make it look nice and dwarfy.

Offline Davout

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2021, 01:46:41 AM »
While I cast up the blocks I need to finish the tower I've painted up two of the last goblin units needed for the campaign.

First up are the "demolition experts". The second game in the campaign has a unit of fungus loons attempting to wheel explosive barrels of toxic fungus beer up against the dwarf watch tower and detonate before the tower can send a warning to Bugman about the coming attack on his brewery. The original article has instructions on how to convert goblins wheeling or pulling barrels but sadly I don't have access to those parts. Instead I used some of the extra figs you get with the plastic fanatics kit, these 6 figs will carry the demo charges and they'll be chivied along by a unit of goblin engineers I converted up for Oathmark.

Up next is some heavy fire support in the form of a bolt thrower. This was a great kit, even though I only managed to snag the finecast version (shudder). It went together well and painted up great.

I'm hoping to have the second floor of the tower done next week. 

Offline Davout

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2021, 12:46:10 AM »
End of weekend update on the Bugman's project.

Painted up 4 easy to assemble Orks to round out a unit of heavy infantry. Nothing super special about these guys, they do look like bruisers when lined up next to the Goblins.

I've managed to make some progress on the watchtower. The ramparts to the lower section have been completed, the outer wall is done, I've added some detail to the main door and I've started on the second floor to the taller section. Still in need of additional bricks, which the perpetual curse of all Hirst Arts projects.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2021, 11:56:46 AM »
Sounds like a cracking idea for a plog. I am liking your progress so far, keep up the good work.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline zirrian

• Librarian
  • 1:72 enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2021, 07:14:50 PM »
Very nice project, looking forward to seeing the rest!

Offline Freelancer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2021, 11:03:13 PM »
This is fantastic. I also wanted to build the brewery after reading that white dwarf. However, never having owned a dwarf army, there never seemed much point. Good to see a grand design in action.

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2021, 02:56:36 PM »
A great build so far.  That is a lot of bricks

Offline Davout

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2021, 08:22:37 PM »
With school and football starting back up my hobby time has been cut back to a few minutes in the morning and a spare hour or two on the weekend. Despite that I've been making steady progress (a little bit every day adds up nicely over time).

I've managed to complete about 95% of the construction of Skeggi's Watchtower. I need to add a few ornamental details and texture the ground around the tower  before final painting can begin.

I've also built the three carts needed for the first scenario.These are Peasant Cart #3 from Warbases. It's my first time building an MDF kit and they went together great. Precision fit with just a little wood glue to make them super solid.

I do need to rethink my choice of draft animal. I went with Warbases Donkey miniature and they're way to small

So if any one can point me in the right direction for an appropriate size animal and a good source of large barrels I'd appreciate it.