Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:07:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686636
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Bugman's Lament: Dwarfs vs Goblins in the Old World-Brewery Complete!  (Read 8906 times)

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
Re: Bugman's Lament: Dwarfs vs Goblins in the Old World
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2021, 10:43:00 PM »
For barrels, have you had a look at the plastic ones from Renedra
https://www.renedra.co.uk/product/large-barrels/

For a horse/ pony the Irregular Miniatures Shire Horse (AN30) might work. It's a small 25mm model so would be bigger than a mule but small enough to fit alongside GW Dwarfs
https://irregularminiatures.co.uk/25mmRanges/25mmAnimals.htm

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2021, 06:34:20 AM »
For barrels, you might want to take a look in the craft stores, a lot of them have some cheap wooden barrels in the small woodcraft area. Not a real barrel, but a block of wood cut to the shape of one and there's often a variety of sizes for them...I've gone through a lot of them in the past for scatter terrain pieces and just bits and pieces for other terrain

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2021, 09:00:44 AM »
Who doesn’t love a revived orcs and goblins army.

Offline Davout

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2021, 03:06:20 AM »
On to the rare mid week update!

It's trolls! Managed to finish these guys a lot quicker then anticipated. Like I said above real life has started again and I no longer get big blocks of time to paint. I've been squeezing in about 15-20 minutes every morning and all those micro sessions have added up fast and I'm pretty proud how these creatures turned out.

I went with a grey and blue scheme so they would stand out int he sea of green that is my goblin army and I think it really works. The vomit adds a nice pop of color and it was my first attempt at wet blending contrast paints.

20 goblins left and the figure painting part of this project will be 99% done.     

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2021, 03:50:49 AM »
Those Trolls are great. Grey and Blue works really well together. Another set of minis for my wishlist.

Offline Vanth

• Librarian
    • Warcolours Miniature Painting Studio
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2021, 08:44:37 AM »
Great job, I especially like the tower you are building. I have a couple of questions since I have always been intrigued by the whole Hirst Arts method: what kind of plaster are you using? Is it durable? And how heavy is the final piece of terrain?
Thank you and keep up the good work...
Vanth
"...there are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in thyne philosophy..:"

http://www.warcolours.net
https://www.facebook.com/warcolours
https://www.etsy.com/shop/WarcoloursMiniatures
https://www.instagram.com/warcoloursminiatures/

Offline Davout

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2021, 03:52:38 AM »
Great job, I especially like the tower you are building. I have a couple of questions since I have always been intrigued by the whole Hirst Arts method: what kind of plaster are you using? Is it durable? And how heavy is the final piece of terrain?
Thank you and keep up the good work...

I've used Hirst Arts molds for almost 20 years now and I've always found them to be a great product where you get a ton of value for your money.

I use a product called Durahms Water Putty (a wood filler powder available at most major US hardware stores). It's not as durable as dental plaster but it is easy to find and easy to work with. While not having the same durability as dental plaster I've found that it stands up to normal game wear and tear well, takes paint without problems and is easy to fix in case there are any accidents. I have a few pieces in my terrain collection that are 15+ years old and they're holding up great.

One major downside is that it is heavy. I don't know what the current weight is but it needs to hand to carry (I'll do a final weigh in after I texture the ground and paint).

Offline Vanth

• Librarian
    • Warcolours Miniature Painting Studio
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2021, 07:55:34 AM »
Thank You. As I said I am on the fence about this. so intrigued...

Offline Davout

• Librarian
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2021, 09:05:40 PM »
It's been a busy last few weekends and progress on the Bugman's project ha slowed a trifle. One major milestone that I have been able to check off the list is Skeggi's watchtower.

The final product matches what I had envisioned (always a good thing). It's been painted using craft paint and the flock is from Woodland Scenic. It's a hefty chunk of terrain that will form the center piece of many battles to come.

I'm currently casting up the bricks for the brewery and working on the final unit of goblins. I've set an November 1st target date for everything to be done and I'd like to run the campaign soon after.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2021, 10:50:07 PM »
Beautiful job! It turned out real well and I can see it being used in a number of scenarios in addition to the Bugman’s lament ones. Pretty well anywhere you need a watch tower, really.

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2021, 11:09:18 PM »
Yes that looks great! The size and obvious strength of it is impressive, but there are also plenty of little details too. Looking forward to seeing the Brewery and, of course, more Goblins!

Offline Davout

• Librarian
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2021, 12:24:29 AM »
Just a quick WIP update this weekend. I've been casting away and laying down the base bricks for the brewery complex. I'm using insulation foam tile from Home Depot and as usual the bricks are cast in Hirst Arts molds.

My plan is for the entire thing to have a cobble stone "floor" and then have the three buildings that make up the brewery sit on top. These building will then be removable for flexibility of play, and perhaps even more importantly, ease of storage.

Offline Davout

• Librarian
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2021, 01:39:11 AM »
I've been slowly and steadily plugging away at the final phase of the Bugman's project over the last month. Casting the cobble stone tiles for the brewery took a little longer then expected but it's done and I think worth the effort.

All the tiles are glued down and I'm hoping to start getting paint on sometime this week.

In addition to the tiles I finished up the outer walls of the brewery. For the final game in the campaign the brewery is the objective and is tucked into the far corner of the board.  These walls form the first barrier the goblins will have to go over/threw to reach the brewery. There will be a gate joining the two sections in the final build.

Both walls have been glued and textured and should be ready for paint tomorrow.

Finally, I've started laying out the footprint for the three buildings that will make up the brewery. Of course I ran out of bricks so its back to the casting table.

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2021, 07:25:05 AM »
This is coming along very nicely indeed
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Davout

• Librarian
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2021, 02:55:34 AM »
So I put together a list today of everything left to do on this project and it's...depressingly long. I've got 99% of the miniatures painted (down to my last 5 goblins!) but it's all the little details that are adding up.

As I've been thinking about and then writing down the list of things to do I've been musing on what it takes to "put on a game". My game group is fantastic and between us we own a wide variety of games and systems and the figures to play them. Despite this we most often just play 40K. I've been trying to encourage them to branch out, pick a system and play host but I'm not getting an enthusiastic response.

And I get it. We're all busy with real life and the kind of planning it takes to prepare, teach and host a new game is daunting. However, as we get older I feel like I'm ready to take my hobby to the next level. For me that means going beyond the one off game night with the same mix of terrain that we've been playing with for years. It means campaigns and really putting on a show. Luckily, while my friends aren't ready to host themselves they are willing to play the games I put on. I've been hyping this Bugman's game for years and they're chomping at the bit to get it on the table.

Despite the long list of to do's I'll keep pushing ahead, the only way to get something done is to do it. I did manage to check one box this weekend and get the outer walls of the brewery painted up and flocked. Hoping to finish those last 5 goblins this week as well.