Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:04:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686579
  • Total Topics: 118108
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Italian Wars Project wearing the steel that's bright and true  (Read 5940 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Italian Wars Project wearing the steel that's bright and true
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2021, 11:55:55 AM »
clarifying my point about activation it means that a unit can fight more than once. However, if the unit has already than it only does so with 1 dice.

Got you. Seems excessive? 

I must say I find it amusing that people are looking to Ken as the oracle on these rules rather than the rules writer or publisher.  Ken said that he does not use points and has not even looked at the army lists so I assume that he has invented his own stats for the units.  I am slowly working through the last of my landskects, sadly I have knackered my brushes and will need to head out to teh art shop for supplies.

It's all I have- you and Ken are the only people I know who have used the rules  lol

I'm not sure that the author has been very communicative? I would be wrong?

Offline Doom Beard 78

• Scientist
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2021, 12:03:32 PM »
I had noticed that there had hardly been a landslide of responses to my rules queries. I think that if I persevere with these rules that I may need to have so many house rules that they may be quite different.   My guess is that there are so many rules out there that it is hard for anything to build any traction, also as I was driven into exile from historical for 2 years ( I had some bad experiences at a certain club) I am a bit out on the outside looking in as regards what is actually popular. So, really I have no idea if people are playing the early renaissance in 28mm and what rules, they are using.

Offline Doom Beard 78

• Scientist
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2021, 11:03:16 AM »
I finished the tarting up of the landsknects . this is a unit of 96  measuring 12x8 for a unit footprint of 240x160mm.  I discovered that I have various landsknechts figures with big swords ( most of them GW figures from the early 90's) So  they are on the painting desk after the remaining 2 Jintes I am finishing off

To quote Hannibal " I love it when a plan comes together"

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2021, 08:51:24 AM »
Lovely work George  :-*

Hannibal Barca would be proud  ;D :D

Offline Doom Beard 78

• Scientist
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2021, 09:25:26 AM »
I was thinking of John "Hannibal" Smith rather than Barca

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2021, 09:56:09 AM »
I was thinking of John "Hannibal" Smith rather than Barca

I had to google John "Hannibal" Smith  lol

I (for some reason) avoided the A-Team like the plague when I was a kid  ??? lol

Offline Doom Beard 78

• Scientist
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2021, 01:17:04 PM »
weekly update- one Jinete

Spanish and imperialist aequebusiers . I am down to just 2 unpianted Jinetes and all my renaissance figures will be painted,. I do have a load of GW Empire/Dogs of war figures but I believe that they are fantasy figures

Offline MGH

• Scientist
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2021, 04:48:30 AM »
Your collection is excellent, let me start off with that.

As for the Furioso rules, a friend and I did try them a couple years back. There were some cool things about them but to us they just took too long or my armies were too big. But I like big games! Anyhow after a good four hours of play we weren't even close to getting a decision. And since I was wanting to bring my Italian Wars stuff to a few conventions, I realized this rules set will never work for it.

I switched to To the Strongest with modifications for the Italian wars. That allowed us to finish a game and is a fun system in addition.

Offline Doom Beard 78

• Scientist
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2021, 10:30:46 AM »
MGH, I have a third game scheduled of Furioso . I was trying to make sense of the rules for combats involving multiple units, as I have read it, it appears that a unit could potentially fight 3 times in one round .  I played To the strongest but it never clicked for me, plus I don't like grids. I am now currently  tidying up my Spanish, a process of re-ataching p[ikes, fixing scratches etc  I've attached a photo of the finished Jinete unit ( I added another 3 ) plus a unit of skirmishers with rocky ground and my take on collenella.

As regards Furioso, the rules do not really model collenellas; the Spanish pike do not have any supporting arqubeusiers and are instead screened by crossbow (!?)

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2021, 03:14:46 PM »
A lovely collection you have there.

Offline DonFabrizio

• Bookworm
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2021, 08:53:13 AM »
lovely units, especially the jinetes!

Offline Friends of General Haig

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog:
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2021, 09:27:42 AM »
Some lovely looking units. I especially like the skirmishers amongst the rocks 👍

Offline Doom Beard 78

• Scientist
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2021, 10:24:29 PM »
Thanks for the comments,. Other than the Spanish Swordsman I have photographed my collection.  I have zero unpainted renaissance figures at the moment.  Furioso really failed to set my heart aflame. So, I cannot see myself getting anymore figures.

Offline caveadsum1471

• Bookworm
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2021, 11:07:34 AM »
Gorgeous looking Italian wars figures, haven't tried furiso yet,have tried to the strongest for renaissance but last game was pike and shot ( warlord) which works for me but I know it's a bit marmite( love it or hate it!)
Best Iain

Offline Yarkshire Gamer

• Mad Scientist
  • Yarkshire Gamer
    • Yarkshire Gamer
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2021, 01:38:58 AM »
clarifying my point about activation it means that a unit can fight more than once. However, if the unit has already than it only does so with 1 dice. 

I must say I find it amusing that people are looking to Ken as the oracle on these rules rather than the rules writer or publisher.  Ken said that he does not use points and has not even looked at the army lists so I assume that he has invented his own stats for the units.  I am slowly working through the last of my landskects, sadly I have knackered my brushes and will need to head out to teh art shop for supplies.

Hi,

I've been on holiday and missed the thread so apologies for that.

Funnily enough I responded to some rule queries via email tonight and sent out my fast play sheet to another group. I commented in that correspondence that I seemed to be doing more explaining and work on these rules than the author (who I have never been in contact with). The video play throughs I did a couple of years back have been watched a hell of a lot so people seem to come to me. Added to that the author doesn't seem to be that forthcoming with replies.

The rules we use now are modified a fair bit from the printed version and having played them quite extensively now, I can say they work really well for us.

In answer to your question above, you are a few feet wide of the mark. You are correct that I don't play points, however I do use the Army Lists in the book for unit stats. Notably there are a load of missing units in the lists and I have produced my own stats for those.

The rules themselves are poorly put together and some sections that have quite a large effect on a particular outcome is often pages away from the thing it effects. It desperately needed a playsheet to tie it all together like a good rug.

There is a lot of questions kicking around on the thread, I will try and cherry pick answers, but if I miss anything let me know. Anything I say is my solution BTW and not the authors  lol

Units fight on their activation so if a melee has occurred and the units are still in contact they will fight again when the second unit activates. Like this very old school goes back to the old days of three rounds of combat per turn !

I can't see a bit where Pike would pursue Cavalry, only a Cavalry pursuit section. If you've stuck you huge lump of armoured horse flesh into a Pike Block you deserve all you get, if you allow people to withdraw from a bad decision it will become a hit and run tactic, slowing or stopping Pike Block movement.

Not sure why you would need a Stat line for a skirmish screen ? They are the same troop type and Shot and just lose 1d6 when firing.

Regards your query about Gendarme vs Pike, casualties tend to be pretty similar, where the Pike tend to win is in the Close Combat Morale phase. Unless they have lost a lot of men (or your Gendarme are too big or your Pike too small) the Pike should always be 3 times bigger than your Cavalry giving them a 3d6 advantage in the CCM Phase. The Block also has a huge advantage in numbers to adsorb casualties.

In the games we have played, Gendarme / Heavy Cavalry do not perform well vs good quality Pike (Landsknecht and especially Swiss) they usually hold them up for a turn and then get wiped out.

I think I like the rules so much because they do have holes in, which means I can mould them into what I want. BTW adding Generals in made a massive effect on the game in a positive way.

Regards Ken
Unofficial and definitely unpaid Furioso rule advisor  lol
And Full Time Yarkshire Gamer

"Glittering prizes and endless compromises,  shatter the illusion of integrity"
http://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.co.uk