Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:38:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690823
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 762
Total: 764

Recent

Author Topic: Vietnam Rules?  (Read 998 times)

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
Vietnam Rules?
« on: June 17, 2023, 08:50:01 PM »
Good Evening Hive-Mind. I heard yesterday that Battlefront are about to re-release their 15mm Vietnam range, which has somehow re-kindled a dormant interest in "Nam". I've tried this over nearly 40 years in various scales ranging from 1/200 to 28mm and using a variety of rules including TFL's "Charlie Don't Surf" and the umpire controlled "Bodycount". This will only ever be a "side project" for me and a mate of mine, so we are looking to build 15mm forces with 1-2 platoons a side plus supporting "assets". The real question is "what rules"? Given my scale and force-size constraints I was interesting in hearing rules recommendations.  I have heard of Empress Miniatures' "BOHICA", Wayne Bolland's "The Nam" and recall play-tests of a Warwick Kinrade "Nam" set on this website back I think in early 2020.

Thoughts and advice welcome.

Regards         

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Vietnam Rules?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2023, 07:44:54 AM »
It really depends on hov large engagement you want to play i think. I think most modern wargames rules can be used for Vietnam. I have played quite a few games using Spectre and also No end in sight. But lately I have gotten really deep into Force on force at the moment they work really great for me.

Hmm, reading back, my post is not really helpfull at all i quess...

But I would say if it is going to be a backburner side project, you should perhaps go for something smaller, like squad/team based, so you will actually have a chance to get something finished and maybe even a game in. There is nothing to get the creative juices flowing like finishing a squad and gaming with it.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2023, 08:13:59 AM »
If you're familiar with Chain of Command, there's a Vietnam version of it, DMZ.

https://carportgaming.blogspot.com/2019/09/on-road-again.html

I haven't played it myself, but a quick Google will show a few reviews. I've heard good things about BOHICA too.

Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2023, 11:37:55 AM »
Guys, thanks for the answers. Since my original post I've found that I have copies of both the Chain of Command Vietnam variant and Ambush Valley. I might as well give both a run-out before spending money on yet another ruleset.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2023, 02:55:03 PM »
Interested in hearing how it works out.  I have a bunch of Pendraken Vietnam stuff awaiting paint.

Oh, and probably one of the most sensible rules decision I've ever seen posted - don't buy more when you have some sitting at hand!  ;). We gamers can be a bit odd in how we think.  :D

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2023, 03:54:06 PM »
The Ambush Alley set are my go too for platoon plus games.

Cheers
Matt

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2023, 06:06:27 PM »
FifteensAway, I'm afraid I all too often fall for the "shiny" new set of rules. I have a plethora of Vietnam rules some dating back to the '80s when I bought 20mm Platoon 20 figures. Most were "average" at best, with too much emphasis on hardware and weapon stats rather than C3I and the assymetry of combat. I picked up Ambush Valley from someone on the Bazaar of Obscurities and it came bundled with a copy of Force on Force which was my real target. I also want a ruleset that can handle battalion level games in 1/200 as I was suckered into buying masses of the Skytrex Action 200 range over 30 years ago!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2023, 07:22:51 AM »
Well, depending on that 'mass of Skytrex' and what it is, if you decide you don't want it and are willing to 'sell it for a song' since you were 'suckered' into buying it, I might relieve you of the anxiety!  I wanted that stuff but was in a spot I couldn't afford it just then - and then it disappeared for a while.  At least if it is WWII stuff, not Vietnam.  Well, maybe.  Really, really don't need to add more stuff.

Isn't it back available again?  Skytrex 1:200 I mean.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2023, 03:55:45 PM »
FifteensAway, I have 1/200 for Vietnam, 1940 WW2 and 1944 Normandy.  The former and the latter is al fully a painted. I see it is a great scale but have never found rules that suit, and doubt if I ever will for Vietnam. For WW2 I am pinning my hopes on PSC's  "Battlegroup Commander" which are in the pipeline. I think they will be akin to their NORTHAG rules albeit set 40 years in the past!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2023, 07:06:30 AM »
Are you familiar with the Charlie Don't Surf rules?  If not, give them a checking out - at least some reviews.

Offline AdmiralAndy

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2023, 02:14:38 PM »
Cold War Commander has a Vietnam army list, at least the 1st edition does. Still available as PDF on Wargame vault, so might do for your larger games, company level storming a firebase/We Were Soldiers sort of thing.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2023, 05:44:59 PM »
Chaps, I actually have a copy of "Charlie Don't Surf" but my 1st reading of them wasn't a positive experience. Despite their glossy appearance thy seemed to be a bit "old School TFL", some really interesting mechanisms but not the best written set. Maybe I've done them a dis-service and will re-read. I actually have Cold War Commander so will think about them for "bigger Vietnam". I know a lot of the photos use the Pendraken 10mm Vietnam stuff.

It seems that with the exception of Empress' "Bohica" I might already have everybody's recommendations!