Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:18:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Trip to Brecon  (Read 1762 times)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
A Trip to Brecon
« on: August 01, 2021, 12:51:21 PM »

Took a trip down to the barracks in Brecon yesterday to check out the regimental museum. Thought I'd share a few pictures I took with you guys. It's weird, this place is practically on my doorstep, and yet in all these years I've never checked it out. They ought to take my Colonial Adventures Moderator baton off me for that, right?

The pics...

All the VCs of the 24th from the Zulu War (bar one, I think the IWM has Robert Jones') including Melvill and Coghill's, and Lt. Browne's, awarded for his actions at Hlobane.

This flag flew over the post at Rorke's Drift during the battle.

Smashed band instruments recovered from the battlefield at Isandlwana.

More in a minute...

« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 01:14:59 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
Re: A Trip to Brecon
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 12:57:53 PM »
They've got a few dioramas, including a really big one of Rorke's Drift. It's pretty impressive (and rather large), though I reckon that you guys could probably do an even better job...

(Don't you think it looks like that one guy is wearing sunglasses?)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 01:12:57 PM »
They have quite an armoury there, which will come in handy if there is a zombie apocalypse. Most of the photos of the weapons didn't come out due to reflections on the glass, but here's a small sampling of ones that were okay...

A Lee-Metford and a Long Lee-Enfield. No idea what that other thing is (didn't take this photo and failed to spot that thing at the time). Anybody know?

Couple of images from the Great War...

Long-time LAFers may remember my sidekick Sickers, who has appeared in many battle reports over the years. When last seen he was still a little kid. Well, this is him now...

Jesus, where did the years go?

After sampling Brecon's pubs we then headed up to poke around Raglan Castle. It's worth a trip if you are into castles, but I didn't take any photos because I'm not the bloody Medieval Adventures moderator!  ;) In one room they have murals on the wall displaying some historic moments connected with the castle. They mention Lord Raglan and the Charge of the Light Brigade, unfortunately the mural at this point is a version of Lady Butler's 'Scotland Forever', which depicts the Scots Greys at... Waterloo!

Oh dear, schoolboy error...  lol  Though to be fair, Raglan was at Waterloo, but I'd bet real money they weren't thinking about that when they okayed the mural.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 01:19:35 PM by Plynkes »

Offline georgec

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 02:50:39 PM »
The 'thing' under the rifles is a Swift training rifle

https://www.rifleman.org.uk/The_Swift_training_rifle.html

Offline Umra Khan

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2021, 05:53:57 PM »
Plynkes beautiful photos, do you think the VC are repro ? I think so .

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 06:22:23 PM »
No, otherwise they would have a repro of Jones' VC too, instead they just have a picture. I have no reason to doubt their authenticity, and don't think the museum would make false claims.

The 'thing' under the rifles is a Swift training rifle

https://www.rifleman.org.uk/The_Swift_training_rifle.html

Thanks. Never come across one of those before.  Very interesting page. :)

Offline Mike1879

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 09:11:26 PM »
Plynkes a lot of those models in the Rorkes Drift diorama were donated by myself including the Zulus in the sunglasses picture. Lol he does look he’s wearing shades but I can assure you he’s not. In regards to the VCs on display in the case, they are copies. The museum holds the originals in their vaults and are displayed on special occasions. Those VCs are valued in the millions so copies have to suffice for display purposes.

Offline Mike1879

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2021, 09:21:00 PM »
Those Zulus in the photo were my old Redoubt Enterprise figures from many moons ago. I exchanged loads of figures to the then curator Bill Cainan who owns the Diorama in exchange for a Zulu shield which belonged to the Umxapho regiment and was previously owned by Ian Knight.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2021, 09:22:32 PM »
Plynkes a lot of those models in the Rorkes Drift diorama were donated by myself including the Zulus in the sunglasses picture. Lol he does look he’s wearing shades but I can assure you he’s not. In regards to the VCs on display in the case, they are copies. The museum holds the originals in their vaults and are displayed on special occasions. Those VCs are valued in the millions so copies have to suffice for display purposes.

Ah, that makes sense. Should've thought of their value. I knew the museum owned them, but it didn't occur to me they'd be in a vault. That makes our heist plans a little trickier. Back to the drawing board, then. Cheers.

Those Zulus in the photo were my old Redoubt Enterprise figures from many moons ago. I exchanged loads of figures to the then curator Bill Cainan who owns the Diorama in exchange for a Zulu shield which belonged to the Umxapho regiment and was previously owned by Ian Knight.

Thanks for the info.  Sickers and myself were trying to figure out what they were, as we didn't recognise them. Never actually seen the Redoubt Zulus before. Really cool that you got a shield out of the deal. I am well jealous.  :)

« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 09:31:58 PM by Plynkes »

Offline Deedles

• Mastermind
    • One man & his brushes
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2021, 09:46:36 PM »
I was there two weeks ago too . It is indeed a good one to visit.
Cheers
Deedles

One day the lead mountain will be gone.... one day

http://onemanhisbrushes.blogspot.co.uk/
http://blazingdice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2021, 10:19:31 PM »
Wow, awesome thread, thank you for posting it, Plynkes, and thanks to Georgec and Mike1879 for the additional info.  Next time I'm in the UK I will try hard to visit.
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2021, 10:52:03 PM »
Splendid Dylan. Thanks for sharing.
Sickers does indeed look very grown up  lol

Offline bollix

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2021, 11:39:54 PM »
Thanks for posting this. I visited back in the 90s and really enjoyed it. Nice to see some good photos to remind me. Always wished I'd had time to hike in the Beacons, had to settle for driving through. What a beautiful place, in its own way. My second favorite place in the UK after Skye.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2021, 07:24:18 AM »
Splendid Dylan. Thanks for sharing.
Sickers does indeed look very grown up  lol

Doesn't he just ;) lol

Thanks for the pics Dylan, Its a long time since I made the pilgrimage to Brecon to the museum. Great to see it again. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline 2010sunburst

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2021, 08:34:28 AM »
Lovely photo spread.  Somewhere for me to keep in mind if I’m ever in the area…..