Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:14:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685048
  • Total Topics: 118007
  • Online Today: 766
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Vanvlak's vacation - 12 September scenery list of ingredients  (Read 2557 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Vanvlak's vacation - 12 September scenery list of ingredients
« on: August 02, 2021, 03:23:37 PM »
August in Malta IS hot - temperature over 40 in the shade yesterday. Ouch.
And the painting hole is in the top floor, so it is rather hot. I could move down to the cellar, where it's cool - but it's so humid that paint never dries!
And it's not really a vacation either, I have a dungload of work stuff to clear - bah. But I will try to get at least a week of rest. Which means that in spite of the heat and all the other problems, I might just manage a tiny little project.
I have my 'rubbish' scenery project running, but I really feel like getting a force painted up. And if I want to have any hope of completing it, maximum 10 models. Ideally small, easy-to-paint ones.

So it's off to the cellar to see what I dig up which strikes my fancy. I already have a small lot of Daleks in queue, but as they are all identical I was hoping for a little more variety.

Beware: chances are this project will fail after a few posts (possibly because of heat stroke, if I'm not careful*).

*Then again, that didn't happen during our excavations out in the sun hauling wheelbarrows of soil in a heat wave a couple of weeks ago, so...  ;D
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 10:04:06 AM by Vanvlak »

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
...so... GOOD LUCK to your project!
Greetings from Athens, with similar temperatures, over 40o C, it will last all week through.
Staying tuned. Cheers!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
...so... GOOD LUCK to your project!
Greetings from Athens, with similar temperatures, over 40o C, it will last all week through.
Staying tuned. Cheers!
Same as us, then! Thank you  :D

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Well, here are the happy winners of the find-a-small-force-to-paint lottery:

Two sets of winners actually, couldn't resist getting those two old Epic vehicles out too.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Re: Vanvlak's vacation documentary - a tiny force of androids
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2021, 06:54:31 PM »
A spot of progress at last:

I know it doesn't quite look like the Androids (or even the Epic vehicles) in the earlier image, but it fits in there - I'm not off track, see....  :?

And that's how my projects go awry. It's an old electrical circuit breaker box which dates back to when we were replacing the electrical supply in a lab. It's now a room in a spaceship (well, it will be). I had in the past stuck the strips of plasticard with some aim in mind - I think it was somehow related to Necromunda.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Re: Vanvlak's vacation documentary - a tiny force of androids now + box!
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2021, 07:56:50 AM »
Undercoated models at last -

- except that these aren't the androids you were looking for....

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Ooooh!
Looking forward to seeing what you do in the oven.
 :D

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Ooooh!
Looking forward to seeing what you do in the oven.
 :D
It's back to Mother Hydra....

Progress - here's a mock-up of the box which is now a processing room (of what though?).

I have take two decisions this year:
(i) don't hold back - I have some stuff which I keep saving for a better, future project and never using. I am now to old for this, so I am using bits and pieces which have lain idle for years.
(ii) sometimes, you can make it up as you go along: the circuit box was something I dug up from the cellar when looking for models for a bite-size project, and it's a nice little project to which I can add passages and other rooms when I feel like.

As for the androids, they - and their bases - have been undercoated, and now they need painting before they populate the processing room (which obviously needs paint too!).

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Great work on the room, it’s looking really interesting even before you add some paint

I have take two decisions this year:
(i) don't hold back - I have some stuff which I keep saving for a better, future project and never using. I am now to old for this, so I am using bits and pieces which have lain idle for years.
(ii) sometimes, you can make it up as you go along: the circuit box was something I dug up from the cellar when looking for models for a bite-size project, and it's a nice little project to which I can add passages and other rooms when I feel like.

Funnily enough I’ve reached a similar conclusion on both those points, and am enjoying myself more as a result  :)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Great work on the room, it’s looking really interesting even before you add some paint

Funnily enough I’ve reached a similar conclusion on both those points, and am enjoying myself more as a result  :)
Exactly - and since the winner of the 2021 Potato Cup is in agreement, I have to be right  :D

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
The room looks great, and still accessible enough to move figures around in.
 8) 8)

I am with you on the 'don't save stuff' argument, as I have loads of bits that I may as well have used earlier for all the use it is sitting in a box in the loft!
 ;)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
The androids are done - surprisingly, I finished off what I set out to do in the first place, in spite of the other stuff I started in the meantime. They turned out to be a C-3P0 tribute group:

That's them in the background. In the foreground are a couple of bits of decaying terrain I had finished a couple of weeks back. I don't even know what I'm using these for, but they look ok I guess. I went along with the rubbish dump theme which was supposed to come after the BSC.

Another look at the blue device:

And the androids. The bases hark back to my first set of androids and the white and green patterned bases. The bow tie chap is trying to comprehend a doggie drop on his base - pooch has got a bit of diarrhoea, it seems.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
That scenery looks great and should prove very versatile.
 8) 8)

As for the tribute band....C-3PO and his Boss approve!

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
That scenery looks great and should prove very versatile.
 8) 8)

As for the tribute band....C-3PO and his Boss approve!

!!
Thank you.  :D

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
The room is in progress - together with a second smaller one - but here's a small landing pad I produced. The pad itself comes from a broken satellite dish component found on the archaeological dig (no, it's not Roman). The colourful Deaque lends scale.

Something I rescued from a box getting mouldy in the cellar! A Captain Scarlet Spectrum transport. It's a model kit trying to be a toy, with awful tricycle-like wheels, shooting missiles, a passenger deck which can be ejected as a hole, and lots of buttons and levers sticking out of the thing! First thing to go was the undercarriage pod, horribly incongruous with the sleek fuselage. I need to patch a load of holes, and probably design engine outlets, as the inlets are there, but the outlets aren't!

Close-up of the offending landing gear pod - reminiscent of those old friction drive toys.

This will not be ready any time soon - work is picking up again already.