Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:23:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Nottingham - Worth the Trip?  (Read 4292 times)

Offline LazyStudent

• Librarian
Re: Nottingham - Worth the Trip?
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2021, 03:27:59 PM »
Just to throw another 2p into the discussion. I will admit, I no longer live in the UK, but I am a native Londoner. While I would agree the North of the UK (Scotland) is a wonderful place to visit, I would agree with the suggestion from Jon_1066 and say you're better off staying in the south (Unless you massively extend your UK part of the trip). If you are able to hire a car from Heathrow airport there are a large number of very nice places to see between London and Bristol.

I can suggest finding a hub location somewhere in/near Marlborough (a very pretty and historic town). That would then put you within ~1hr of Oxford (including Blenheim Palace), Bristol, Winchester (a LOT of history), Salisbury, Bath, Andover (Army Flying Museum), Stonehenge, and Windsor (Highly highly recommend the castle there) etc. You would also be within about ~2hrs of a large stretch of the south coast if your family would like a day at the seaside.

If you do go into London, I can highly recommend the Tower of London, as a place to go and visit. Get a on Yeomen warder tour. They are brilliant and the Yeomen do a great job of bringing the history to life. The Museums are good, but can be quite dry. And the theater scene has been hit hard so difficult to predict what will be running. On a side note, if you do stay in London, I can recommend not trying to save on the hotel. There are a lot of very poor hotels in London that are still reasonably high prices, but budget for London. If you pick on, you will likely regret it and it would be a shame to have that as it can ruin a trip. Sadly it is worth getting a nicer hotel for your stay. But that is pretty much a London only problem! 
"History is a set of lies agreed upon.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2021, 04:19:27 AM »
Jack, some sage advice from people  but I guess a few other considerations. Where will you fly into? Will you be wanting to drive a rental car in the UK? How will you be getting to France/Belgium? Flights or Eurostar/train. If the former I know from personal experience there aren't too many flights from Scotland to Paris. As someone else has said you could easily spend two of your 5 days in transit between locations.  I would recommend either going North or staying in London, and not trying to mix the two in such a short trip. Before you do check-out the logistics of travel.

By the way where do you plan to go in France and Belgium?     

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2021, 04:21:58 PM »
I'm based in EU but I have visited the UK lots of times over the last 25 years.
Including two visits to Warhammer World in Notts,
IMHO short answer to your question is: NO
Not because WW is not good (it's great!) but because the trip to and from Nottingham could be quite time consuming
My top destinations in the UK in order of preference would be:
-London
-York
-Edinburgh
-Canterbury
-The Lake District
With only 5 days, you can spend them all in London and leave with lots of things to be seen next time

Offline martinjpayne

• Lurker
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2021, 12:17:25 PM »
My suggestion... fly Paris to Southampton (good shopping, parks, etc.) and make that your base. Day trips to:

Cardiff (castle, shopping and most importantly: you've visited Wales! 😁),
Portsmouth (D-Day Museum, Southsea Castle, Clarence Pier Fun Fair, harbour trip, Historic Dockyard inc. HMS Victory, Mary Rose, HMS Warrior.)
London (well it's London... you probably know what is there!)
Isle of Wight (Carisbrooke Castle and Osborne House)
Oxford (olde worlde charm, history)

The longest travel is about 2.5 hrs each way to and from Cardiff.
Barring the visit to Cardiff, you are also staying in the south of the country where the weather is noticeably better! 😂