Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:18:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689662
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Worshippers of cù-sìth and the warriors of the Harii (kitbash)  (Read 813 times)

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
I was looking for nothing in particular when I found an old copy of "Cthulhu Invictus" and read it over. In it I found two warbands that I can transfer into my collection to fight my Roman Legion. One is fantasy (probably) and the other historical (probably) but both were in a Cthulhu fantasy book. 

The first warband appealed as it is based on Celtic Mythology (another interest) - The worshippers of the mythological hound cù-sìth found in Scottish Folklore. It is usually described as having a shaggy, dark green coat (sometimes white with red ears). In my version the warriors are Caledonian tribesmen fighting a guerrilla and terror campaign against the Romans. They dress in drab, green colours, and also wear the head and skins of wolves dyed green. They generally fight from ambush, attacking isolated garrisons raiding villas, farms and estates in the south beyond both walls or Romans and Britons alike. They make use of the mythology to strike terror in their enemies.

My models are a mixture of bits - Warlord Celts, Agema Republican Roman, assorted weapons etc.

I gave the leaders the white with red ears skins

The second warband is from the Germanic tribe, the Harii.
Regarding the Harii, Tacitus writes in Germania:
As for the Harii, quite apart from their strength, which exceeds that of the other tribes I have just listed, they pander to their innate savagery by skill and timing: with black shields and painted bodies, they choose dark nights to fight, and by means of terror and shadow of a ghostly army they cause panic, since no enemy can bear a sight so unexpected and hellish; in every battle the eyes are the first to be conquered.

I have given mine black warpaint rather than overall black painted skin inspired by Arnie's Conan warpaint.
Figures: Warlord Germanic Tribesmen, Various Dark Age warrior figures with all sorts of weapons - Celtic spears,and shields, Viking axes, heads from all sorts of boxes (Celt, Viking, Dark Age, Roman etc).

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis