Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:12:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690801
  • Total Topics: 118351
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: DEAD-END DRIVE IN >> Pic-Heavy with Tutorial <<  (Read 2250 times)

Offline KD47

• Librarian
  • What is best in life?
DEAD-END DRIVE IN >> Pic-Heavy with Tutorial <<
« on: August 06, 2021, 06:00:21 AM »
If you can’t see the pictures, please switch to a browser that will accommodate them.   Firefox seems to work well here, although I haven’t been able to make chrome, explorer, edge, or brave work.   So no comments on this please, unless you have technical expertise on how to make those browsers show pics on screen.    Pictures will also be recapped below.

I wanted to model a drive-in theatre similar to the one in Fallout 4, but nobody really makes a model for it.   So I had to make something “close enuf good enuf”.   Since I’m a [generation ID redacted], my experience with these hearken back to the 70’s and 80’s, not the retro future mid century Fallout scene. 

Back then there was a kooky post-apocalyptic movie called “Dead End Drive In”.   A real cheeser, but it had some kind of appeal that I can’t quite put my finger on.   Give it a look though and you’ll understand.  It is kind of entertaining, as most of the PA knock-offs of that time were.   They were at least funny, even if they were pretty low-quality.   So the Skyview drive-in was born in my head. 

Since I couldn’t find any parts to make a model screen, I had an online laser-cut company cut me some custom-designed (boy what a difficult process) screen girders, which I’ve had in my “to do” bin for a year and a half now.   I’m still in a form of confinement, but it’s time….. time to build! 

This tutorial will cover the build and the techniques involved, including masking by “the salt method” as well as by masking liquid, which is basically liquid latex that you can get at the art store.

First, paint your girders the color of rust.   I used rattle-can dark brown with light oversprays of medium brown and a few whiffs of orange.   Then fully flat/seal your girders.   You should have something that looks like this:

Once that is completely dry, you’ll want to mask off the areas that should remain rusty, with the goal of getting something that looks like flaked-off paint with rusty spots peeking underneath.

The next step is to use a piece of sponge to blot in the larger rust spots.   Get some liquid mask, dip the sponge into a pool of it, and dab on the spots where larger rust sections predominate.   Typically this is more towards the lower part of the model as that is where water will accumulate, but having the odd dib and dab  on other parts of the model such as where girder meets girder is completely appropriate.

After that, get out some hair spray and spray the surface of the girders.   Quickly dribble small or large patches of ordinary table salt onto the sections that you’d like to have some rust.   After this step, you should have something that looks like this:

Spray paint the “paint color” onto the model and let it dry.   You’re then ready to remove the masking and have the beautiful rust shine out from underneath!   With plastic or metal as your base material, this is easy as you should be able to just put in under a tap of warm water and just dissolve the salt.   You can just rub off the latex mask with your hands.    But if you’re working with wood, MDF board, or anything else that can’t get wet, you’ll have an extra challenge get the gunk off.   

Challenge accepted!

One way of getting salt (only) off would be to just use a small hand broom (from the dollar store of course!)  and brush it off.   What I recommend is that you get an old pair of rubberized garden gloves.   Don’t get the ones with the slick plastic surface, get the ones dipped in black rubber for extra grip.  Take your dry piece and stand over your garbage can.  Put on the gloves and just hand-rub the salt off.  Use your fingers in a scrubbing motion if there are any exceptionally stubborn parts.   The latex rubber will also come off easily.

Once you have done this, you should have something that looks roughly like this:

Glue your girder sections to your base and put any needed support rails between them.   In my example, I had 10 girder sections cut, but sacrificed one of them by cutting it up to make supports.  I did the initial gluing with CA (bob smith maxi cure) glue, and once that was dry reinforced the girder-to-base connections with brushed on 5-minute epoxy.

Far from complete.  You’ll need a screen.   Mine was made of 2 sheets of plastic card reinforced on the rear side with basswood strips.   The back was painted gray with minor graffiti decals, and aged with pastel chalks.   I scored the front into sections with an exacto knife, then did a base-color-light-gray and surface-color-white salt method after reviewing some pics of old drive-in screens online.   I did some basic rusting on some of the edges with the Vallejo rust paint set.

Once everything dried, I glued the screen to the girders.   This model has a small lip of protruding girders at the bottom so that I can use it as an easel, placing printed-out scenes from movies to simulate a flick.   At some point in the future, I can attach a small tablet and simply play a movie for maximum effect.

I made the audio speakers the old-fashioned way:  Originals modelled in green putty, then made a mold.  Cast in resin and glued onto a short nail and painted.  The wires are small pieces of floral wire.   All mounted on a dime and based with GW technical paint to taste.

And now for something completely different.    It’s…….!....
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 06:19:40 AM by KD47 »
For former content of mine, search my former user ID kalebdaark:

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=4831

Offline KD47

• Librarian
  • What is best in life?
Re: DEAD-END DRIVE IN >>THE SNACK BAR <<
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 06:14:32 AM »
Modelling the Snack bar and Projection tower.

What’s a drive-in without a snack bar and projection building?    Not much.    This kit started out as an O-Scale walk-up Smoked Turkey restaurant.  I disassembled it as much as I could to be able to paint the pieces more efficiently.   Like many pre-built model railroad buildings, it suffered from the disease of being too neat, clean, and tidy.     Well,  I’ve got a cure for that!

I had to make some sort of projection tower (homage to the Starlite in Fallout 4) so I needed some sort of pre-made form.   I used a food-grade plastic spice container.    This type of plastic is fairly difficult to work with as CA glue doesn’t really stick to it.   I used Shoe Goo to glue the various add-ons to the base.   Then I masked off the windows with electrical tape and sprayed the whole thing.   After that I weathered the he[ck] out of it and sealed it twice with clear engine enamel, and then with flat (Testors dull-cote as it is VERY flat).   Take off the masking electrical tape after EVERYTHING has been done on this section!

The roof was plain and painted a metallic silver.    Are you kiddin’ me?    Restaurant roofs DO NOT look like this!    They’re usually dirty patched messes with machines, vents, and other gubbins.   I used my standard “tar paper” technique here.

Clean the roof as best you can.   Then get out the wood glue and dilute it a bit with some warm water.   Go grab a couple of sheets of toilet paper and some Kleenex and cut them into bite-sized pieces.   Soak them in the glue slurry and place them onto your roof until you get a pleasing industrial looking texture.  Then let it DRY THOROUGHLY, usually overnight or maybe even for a couple of days.    Once dry, you’ll see a red door and you want it painted black.   Once that dries thoroughly again, you can wash it in a medium tan and then let it dry again.   Dry-brush it in medium and light tan, and you’ll get something that looks like this:

Much much better than what some plastic models give you!

Now, on to the rusty metal bits…

I thoroughly rusted out the side marquee sections and top menu section and flatted those.  Then I printed out lurid movie posters and a menu, which was a hold-over from Dr Beauregard’s Chicken place from my Zombietown game.   I’ve attached the menu here if you want to save it and use it as your own.   Think of it as your personal Dr. Beauregard’s (skyview) franchise.

Now it’s time to make the other painting contest competitors cry and your players [redacted due to content].   I had to remove the windows and cut window sections in a clearer plastic.   Then I added damage by scratching bullet holes and other cracks with an exacto knife, and washing an off-white into those cracks.   Then, lay them flat and mask off the sections that should remain totally clear.   Here, I cut out some masking sections and pasted them into place using blue tacky gum.  Make sure that the mask sections stand off from the surface a quarter inch (1/2 cm) or so.   Then lay them flat and give them a light overspray with flat lacquer, but only face-on, not from the sides!   Overspraying is typically done by placing the spray can perhaps 12” or so from the model and giving a few light spritzes just to give it an impression of something.   Let them dry and remove the masks.    As you’ll see, it has a subtle fade effect that mimics dirty windows that still have a bit of clean in the middle.

I kept the interior pretty basic to allow gaming within:

Almost done. 

After flat/sealing most items, I reassembled it.    For the shell, I used a lot of rusting and weathering techniques to give it the ol’ post-apocalyptic “vandalized and tore up” look.   I got some graffiti stickers on eBay a while ago, so I figured, why not?   You can get these too, or you can just buy some slide-transfer printer paper online and make your own.    Set your graphic program rulers to mm and measure everything out, then print your own stuff to size.    Be sure to give the decal sheet a couple of light coats of flat/seal BEFORE using them to prevent them from running/self-destructing during placement. 

Abandoned dumps in the middle of nowhere typically attract vandals and "graffiti artists".  If you want some examples/inspiration check out some of Wonderhussy's middle-of-nowhere Nevada urban exploration videos on youtube, especially the earlier stuff from a year ago or so.  Abandoned resorts and ranches, ghost towns, volunteer cabins, etc.   https://www.youtube.com/user/wonderhussy

I gave the graffiti decals a couple of coats of light dust-colored chalk to give them an aged look.   New graffiti decals are like fresh ink on your body.   Clean, dark, popping colors, and they need a bit of time to blend in.    Once that was done, I gave them a couple of coats of flat/seal.

LASTLY, I placed the windows where they needed to be and glued them in with clear epoxy, as this doesn’t create a white “craze” that CA glue would. 
So now there’s a dumpy old drive-in out there for PA minis to play in, at least when my confinement ends.

I looked around the internet to find a kit of something like this and only found 1 plastic HO drive-in movie set.   Not acceptable for 28mm although if you do Gaslands 20mm it might work.   This would be an easy laser-cut kit to make.  Basically just an up-scaled billboard and something for a building.   But I found NOTHING out there.  If there is a kit like this, please post a link here, and if you have a laser-cut model business, please consider making something like this! 

Have fun!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 06:50:49 AM by KD47 »

Online fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: DEAD-END DRIVE IN >> Pic-Heavy with Tutorial <<
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 08:20:29 AM »
Great result - and thanks for taking the time to do the step by step guide

Offline KD47

• Librarian
  • What is best in life?
Movie Posters for your own creation
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2021, 12:33:24 AM »
If you need some movie posters for your own creations, this link can help:  https://duckduckgo.com/?q=b+movie+posters&t=newext&atb=v234-1&iax=images&ia=images

Set your graphics program rulers to millimeters and have fun!

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2021, 06:23:23 AM »
They look great  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline mikos khan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2021, 08:47:01 AM »
Well done!!! That is some excellent work(as always).  This drive-in would look perfect next to JR's Pigpen.  Do you think he owns both of them?   

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2021, 09:18:34 AM »
Beautiful (?) work, I love it! :-*

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2021, 09:33:24 AM »
This looks great!

Offline clanmac

• Mad Scientist
  • Danger - Stupid and Industrious
    • Clan Mac's Post Apocalyptia
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2021, 01:51:41 PM »
Simply wonderful project
Mac

It's not big, or clever, but let's do it anyway

https://www.facebook.com/Junkt0wn/

Offline 2010sunburst

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2021, 02:17:27 PM »
Wonderful imagination allied with superb execution.  Love it!  ;D

Offline Corporal Chaos

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2021, 02:43:36 AM »
Stunning!  :-*
I should be painting right now.

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2021, 08:54:57 AM »
Love it!
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2021, 05:59:38 PM »
Excellent.

The roof and the rust effects are great.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2021, 08:18:30 PM »
That is just amazing.  Please post a couple photos of the whole drive in set up.

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2021, 05:36:18 PM »
Brilliant job  8) 8)