Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:16:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689669
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Solomon Kane Movie trailer!!!  (Read 13847 times)

Offline UncleRhino

• Scientist
Re: Solomon Kane Movie trailer!!!
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2009, 01:13:01 AM »
Another member of REHupa has seen the film already at an advanced screening...and will not say much, but it is no shock from the trailer that the film has little to do with the Solomon Kane tales.  In theory, the second and third films will be more along the lines of "Red Shadows", "The Footfalls Within", "The Moon of Skulls" and "Wings in the Night"

Hollywood can not accept the idea that you do not need to do an origin for a hero, if the audience is not spoon-fed a reason for everything, it is unacceptable.  They should just rely on the power of the words--words written 75+ years ago by a man who knew, above all else, how to tell a story. 

I sincerely hope there is no "silly sidekick", no Howardian equivalent of Tolkein's Legolas' "extreme elfing" and above all else, no happy ending. 

The most important thing is to get more people to read Howard, or more Howard if they have only been exposed to Conan.  Even if they can quote the Bran Mak Morn tales, draw a map of Valusia and know not to go to Stregiocavar on certain nights when the moon is right, have they read any of his boxing stories? Historical Adventures--you do know that "The Shadow of the Vulture" is the first and only place to find Red Sonya of Rogitano, right?  Alright, if you did not know, I will cut you some slack.  Roy Thomas "created her" for Marvel's Conan comics in the early 70's.  What about his poetry?  800 or so gems most folks have not seen more than a handful of.

Not meaning I will not see the movie, I will, as soon as possible, I am just reserving judgement on it until after I see the finished project. 

Ryan

Offline UncleRhino

• Scientist
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2009, 01:19:03 AM »
I think I found what I neglected to mention earlier in my rant, sorry if it was even a bit offensive( I do not mean that).

I did a Solomon Kane game last year at Spring Recruits, here is a link to some pictures of the game--and the others from that day.

http://www.rattrapproductions.com/speakeasy/viewtopic.php?t=945

I really like that Brigade not-Kane model a lot, it is a big improvement over my old GW Heroquest(?) one, the one in the pictures from the convention was painted by cwchmc, and has the cat-headed stave and all of that glorious detail he lavishes on his models.

Ryan

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2009, 10:06:39 AM »
The main problem with Hollywood [and most other] directors and scriptwriters is that their egos are so massive that they think they are more talented than the original writer -whether this is Alan Moore, Terry Pratchett, Shakespear or whoever.

Inevitably the vast majority are far less talented and they end up making a complete arse of the film, when if they's stuck more or less to the original it would probably come out well. The obvious example is The Lord Of The Rings, which despite some major changes, generally follows the original very closely and is one of the best ever book adaptations as a result.

Lets hope this is close to the original.

Ho-hum!

Oh, and the game boards look fantastic, especially the Soloman Kane Gloire game. It shows just how much fun you can get from a small board and a handfull of well-painted figures. Great stuff!

Offline Bulldog

• Bookworm
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2009, 02:25:09 AM »
I have an uncle in "the biz," nobody important rest assured, but he is one of those blood sucking vampires called a lawyer.  8) He explained to me that the real problem is that *everbody* has to get their hands into the picture.  From the screenwriter, to the director, to the producer, to the executive producer (which really just means the guy who has the money), to the actors (sometimes) to the distribution agent.  It's a...as he calls it, "Bloody Nightmare."  You can have a fantastic story, but all it takes is one guy to throw a temper tantrum and *BOOM* the show is set back, cancelled or completely ruined.   :(

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2009, 03:31:22 AM »
Oookay...while the name is familier I've not read the books, but that trailer...is just ... amazing.

I was never a huge fan of Conan, but this really looks much more my kind of fantasy/fiction, the more normal but highly skilled darker character rather than the musclebound hero.

The trailer does make it look like it'll be a happy ending...but if the writer has the guts to make the hero fail to save the girl I will be really really impressed.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 03:35:09 AM by Viper »
Nemo me impune lacessit
Wha daur meddle wi' me?

Offline Dizbuster

• Student
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2009, 01:19:15 PM »
Crackin' trailer. I look forward to seeing it.

Offline mortimer

• Scientist
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2009, 07:30:16 PM »
another trash US commercial movie from dumbs and for dumbs... another myth destroyed... the same music , the same sound effects, the same monsters and sure the same awful screenplay and bored story that all last US movies... and why Solomon Kane looks like Aragorn?... well, keep on trucking

perhaps someday a good solomon kane movie, someday...

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2009, 04:25:57 AM »
Mortimer...you seem to have missed that the Writer, Director, Cast, Production Staff basicly everyone working on the film is European in your bid to slate it as a typical american movie.
 ::)

Not to mention Howard described him as a somber and gloomy man of pale face and cold eyes, all of it shadowed by a slouch hat, dressed entirely in black and his weaponry consists of a rapier, a dagger, and a couple of flintlock pistols. They seem to have got all that right.

Michael J Basset is a very good, though young, writer and director, he is great at telling a story so as long as noone messed him about, and as none of the production companies are American hopefully they wouldn't, and they let him do his own thing I've got full confidence.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 04:34:28 AM by Viper »

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2009, 05:57:12 PM »
another trash US commercial movie from dumbs and for dumbs... another myth destroyed... the same music , the same sound effects, the same monsters and sure the same awful screenplay and bored story that all last US movies... and why Solomon Kane looks like Aragorn?... well, keep on trucking

perhaps someday a good solomon kane movie, someday...

Don't like American movies eh?

I hope there will be some saving grace, be it a scene, a character, something. I love all Howard stories and was very excited about the prospects of Solomon Kane making it to the big screen. Oh well, hoping again that there is something from the movie that will motivate and excite.

Offline mortimer

• Scientist
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2009, 10:28:55 AM »
ok, ok  :D ... european staff but yanquee movie system... and it's ok, solomon description fits, of course... but I find the general impression too much medieval like LOTR, not a puritane gothic atmosphere... it's just my opinion, let's see

perhaps I was wrong...

and about the question about american movies, i love classic american films... are the best, really, but the new production system is terrible... 

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2009, 10:55:21 AM »
I'm with Mortimer, I think. Looks kind of over-the-top and in-your-face, like all action films from Hollywood these days (or judging by the comments above, not just Hollywood, but everybody who is making movies). Makes me worry it will be just like all the rest: No subtlety, no interesting characters or plot, no emotional engagement - just explosions, a billionty-trillion dollars worth of CGI, Hong Kong-style fight sequences and lame one-liners as the baddies fall.

I'm afraid these kind of pictures are almost unwatchable to me these days. The CGI almost ruined Lord of the Rings for me. I couldn't understand how everyone cooed at it so much. I thought it looked shit. Just as shit as the old Ray Harryhausen stop-motion, just shit in a different way. Just as unconvincing, mind. They really need to learn to do CGI in a way that it doesn't suddenly announce... Here is the CGI! Marvel at it, peasants! If you want to see CGI done well then watch Master and Commander. "What CGI is in that?" I hear you cry. Exactly!

Now I never read any Solomon Kane, but knowing Bob Howard it was probably pretty over-the-top in the first place, so he probably would have loved it.  :)

Plague doctors a nice touch of period feel, though. Must give them Kudos for that...

Surely someone must do figures of them? They are too cool and spooky to not be used in games.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 11:10:23 AM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2009, 12:38:04 PM »
I'm with Mortimer, I think. Looks kind of over-the-top and in-your-face, like all action films from Hollywood these days (or judging by the comments above, not just Hollywood, but everybody who is making movies). Makes me worry it will be just like all the rest: No subtlety, no interesting characters or plot, no emotional engagement - just explosions, a billionty-trillion dollars worth of CGI, Hong Kong-style fight sequences and lame one-liners as the baddies fall.

I'm afraid these kind of pictures are almost unwatchable to me these days. The CGI almost ruined Lord of the Rings for me. I couldn't understand how everyone cooed at it so much. I thought it looked shit. Just as shit as the old Ray Harryhausen stop-motion, just shit in a different way. Just as unconvincing, mind. They really need to learn to do CGI in a way that it doesn't suddenly announce... Here is the CGI! Marvel at it, peasants! If you want to see CGI done well then watch Master and Commander. "What CGI is in that?" I hear you cry. Exactly!

The trouble with CGI used for spaceships, orcs, thousands of charging cavalry etc, is that you know it's CGI because it would otherwise not be feasible. CGI used well in a subtle and unobtrusive way, like in Master and Commander, is something that doesn't register as such.  Because you think it's possible to do it in more traditional ways you are tricked into seeing it as "real" rather than techno-wizz stuff.

Sadly, I fear CGI will almost always look shit, no matter how good the standard of animation, if you look at it and think "that can't possibly be real, it's just CGI"  :(

Saying that though, I thought the CGI Aslan was superb in Prince Caspian. The fur texture, the eyes and the way his muscles moved looked exactly like a real giant talking lion should look.

Offline mortimer

• Scientist
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2009, 12:44:21 PM »
thanks mr plynkes, I'm a great admirer of your blog and campaigns, very imaginative... fantastic worlds... and yes, the plague doctors are great characters!! great figure idea...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2009, 12:45:51 PM »
I think the technical aspect of making textures seem real has come on leaps and bounds. It's more the animation that breaks the suspension of disbelief for me. You'd think that would be easier to get right. They always seem to make creatures move in such a fast and unrealistic way, giving them the ability to jump far higher than they ought to be, or able to climb way too fast.

The goblins running up the walls in Fellowship of the Ring and Legolas running up the Oliphant in Return of the King are two examples of that. I suddenly knew I was watching animation, as it jarred with the rest of what was going on. They just couldn't help showing off just that little bit too far, and suddenly I was no longer in Middle Earth, but back in the cinema. Seems to me that this is a style choice, rather than a technical shortcoming. So we're probably stuck with it for now, and these kind of films will continue to have less and less appeal for me.

Unlike you, I think if they made a massive army that looked real I would fall for the illusion. But they always make everything too fussy, fast and furious (like the space and ground battles in the last Star Wars film), or as above the things just don't move right.

One thing I thought they did do well in Lord of the Rings was the Balrog. I thought he was superb, and a marked contrast to that stupid rubbery cartoon cave troll a few minutes before it.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 12:50:00 PM by Plynkes »

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2009, 07:13:39 PM »

The goblins running up the walls in Fellowship of the Ring and Legolas running up the Oliphant in Return of the King are two examples of that. I suddenly knew I was watching animation, as it jarred with the rest of what was going on. They just couldn't help showing off just that little bit too far, and suddenly I was no longer in Middle Earth, but back in the cinema. Seems to me that this is a style choice, rather than a technical shortcoming. So we're probably stuck with it for now, and these kind of films will continue to have less and less appeal for me.

These two scenes were bad for me too, I agree. Still I loved CGI heavy movies, like the LOTR, and some from Europe as well, Paq de Loupes, Pan's Labyrinth, etc. Those were not over the top to me at all. I also loved Aslan and all of the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe scenes as noted above. They were wonderful, what a neat and entertaining army.

Now as this has got off topic a bit, I'm really looking to see how "AVATAR" is done, it looks like a CGI fest from start to finish!

Finally, those plague doctors are awesome. That's the kind of inspiration I'm longing for from the Kane movie. I'll see it, I hope they just don't overdo it and ruin it with too much stuff.