Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:15:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690810
  • Total Topics: 118352
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Lau is playing 'Guilders - A Life In Shadows'  (Read 4832 times)

Offline Lau

• Librarian
Lau is playing 'Guilders - A Life In Shadows'
« on: August 09, 2021, 01:28:18 PM »
So! After a very, very long corona break from painting and playing im finally back with a new painting plan!
My friend Søren (who some may know from his blog at http://bloodbeard.blogspot.com/) have begun writing his own miniature skirmish game, called Guilders. The game is about competing thieves guilds who are going into an area of a huge sprawling fantasy city, to plunder some central target - and rob all the city-dwellers who happend to cross their path.
You play against each other, but the real threat is the guards, who keep coming, whenever the thieves make noise. I love the idea of the game, and i have been playtesting it a lot, so now im gonna paint up a lot of thieves, civilians, guards and of course houses for the city, and my guild!

If you think the game sounds interesting, you can join the community on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/542579693413292 or take a look at the (current) rules directly at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1QgOD7G3eYUppV07vF_K5aypvIg9NyuQu?fbclid=IwAR3WUwUKpvdCyRhA8boxD_kZkAcBUh_97LS7jC4UZiqT8mIDUh0OVYtT3Sg

Well enough talk! Here I am presenting my thieves guild: The Guild of Unaffiliated Grape Stompers!

Here are my enforcer, acrobat, tinkerer, brute, a pickpocket, a shadow priest, a charlatan and two burglars:

And here are my shaprshooter, bard, alchymist, my boss and three street urchins!

I love the group!
My Boss, Linda von Loudsprecher, is a rich noble who grew up in the southern wine country on a grape plantation. When her plantation went bankrupt, she liquidated all her assets and found a guild of wine stompers, that were not affiliated with the farms, the plan being that she could underbid the wine makers guilds, by offering them cheaper labour. It did not work out great, so to make ends meet she begun ordering her grape stompers to make money another way: stealing! The Guild of Unaffiliated Grape Stompers now only make money from thieving business, but Linda are still renting her stompers out toe the wineries, she is planning on taking a loss on this work until the large guilds recognise her work - until then, she must work overtime getting her money back, by robbing the city!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Lau is playing 'Guilders - A Life In Shadows'
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2021, 02:00:35 PM »
sounds a brilliant concept.

hope you can keep us posted here, rather than facebook.

Offline Lau

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2021, 06:34:55 PM »
sounds a brilliant concept.
hope you can keep us posted here, rather than facebook.

Yeah I am totally into it, its cool to play a game that just seems tailored to my taste :-) And I'll definetly keep this post alive with my paiting and pictures of games! You can also follow the designers blog, where he will update his hobby workings on the game: http://bloodbeard.blogspot.com/p/guilders-life-in-shadows.html

Offline 3Fingers2

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2021, 07:27:20 PM »
Reminds me of the krondor book novels by Raymond E Feist 👍

Offline Lau

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2021, 02:42:00 PM »
Reminds me of the krondor book novels by Raymond E Feist 👍
I dont know those novels, but I will definetly check them out! The setting and system are inspired by fantasy heist novels, like the Mistborn series, The Lies of Locke Lamora and the Tarbean part of The Name of the Wind!

I have now painted up the first house! I must say it will take some time for enough houses to fill an entire fantasy city to be painted up! So right now I will focus on getting miniatures done, since the building can work being only MDF for longer, but I hate looking at unpainted miniatures :-)

Here is the house! And my thieves guild moved in right away, looking for a new hideout it seems!

Offline 3Fingers2

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2021, 07:33:05 PM »
There are different guilds the thieves have operate from basements and sewers , orphan kid pickpockets up to purse cutters etc .

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2021, 10:17:43 PM »
looking good.

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2021, 07:00:57 AM »
I read the rules, and its really tempting! Im very interested in it, but the question is as always: time...
And those are really nice, mixed warbands!

Offline Lau

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2021, 06:35:52 PM »
I read the rules, and its really tempting! Im very interested in it, but the question is as always: time...
And those are really nice, mixed warbands!

Yeah that damn Time, I never have enough either! If you find the time to play a game, and you should - Its really good fun, we would love to hear your comments on the game! And if you have any thoughts from reading the rules, you are very welcome to share them :-D
And thanks for the compliment on my guild :-)

looking good.
Thanks!

There are different guilds the thieves have operate from basements and sewers , orphan kid pickpockets up to purse cutters etc .
That totally sounds like Guilders! I'll be sure to check it out!

And now I have finished to more guild members! A courtesan and another thief! I really love the thief miniature, such a cool sculpt with a great expression! Both miniatures will proberly serve as civilians as well, since i dont have any plans to include them in my roster, but its nice to have the option!

Offline LiamFrostfang

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2021, 11:05:44 PM »
 8) way cool!!!!!

Offline amijp

• Student
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2021, 06:53:43 AM »
What a fantastic concept, hats off to both the original creator and to yourself for your work so far. Your gang (guild?) looks great, I really like the name and backstory.

I’ll be following your progress and will continue to follow Soren’s blog! Keep up the good work.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2021, 10:44:35 AM »
What a fantastic concept, hats off to both the original creator and to yourself for your work so far. Your gang (guild?) looks great, I really like the name and backstory.

I’ll be following your progress and will continue to follow Soren’s blog! Keep up the good work.

+1

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2021, 02:08:00 PM »
What a great idea!
I have just joined your FB group, so will spend some time looking into this further later.
 :)

I would definitely suggest you check out 'Among Thieves' and 'Sworn in Steel' by Douglas Hulick.
Some great ideas regarding a 'Thieves Guild' and it's organisation etc but also cracking reads too.
 ;)

Offline Lau

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2021, 09:13:18 AM »
What a great idea!
I have just joined your FB group, so will spend some time looking into this further later.
 :)
I would definitely suggest you check out 'Among Thieves' and 'Sworn in Steel' by Douglas Hulick.
Some great ideas regarding a 'Thieves Guild' and it's organisation etc but also cracking reads too.
 ;)
Thank you! And I will absolutely check Hulick's books out! Thanks for the hint! And I hope you have found time to look into it! You should definetly share your thoughts on the game :-)

+1
:-*

Thank you! And you are very welcome to share your thoughts on the game!

8) way cool!!!!!
Thanks a lot  :D

And now to some more sharing of pictures! I Have painted up the first four civlians for the game! These poor townspeople are just waiting to be robbed! They will put a clear fantasy look on the civilians, since they are all non-humans. The next batch of civilians will be more human. I think the ratio should be something like 3 humans for every non-human, but the miniatures from my lead-pile will definetly influence this, since I'll start with painting those civilians that i have laying around :-)

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2021, 10:03:19 PM »
If I ever get some Cadwallon miniatures, they would be great for this.